Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Epik is "considering" suing Rob Monster over alleged mismanagement
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Epik is "considering" suing Rob Monster over alleged mismanagement

treesmokahtreesmokah Member
edited April 2023 in General

(archive)

Lots of interesting stuff recently posted on their Shitter account as well.

What a shitshow Epik has turned to be.

Thanked by 2bamboo4409 emgh

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator

The sad part is they are not renewing domains that have been paid for...

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited April 2023

@Arkas said:

Don't know about that, but I'd imagine shit is all over the place.
    Its sad to see honestly, I personally want them to survive and continue providing services to "high risk"/"controversial" sites as well as ordinary people/domain investors, but current situation is not looking good.

All around a shitshow at cost of $millions that aren't even theirs.

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited April 2023

Sad to see. They used to be a valuable provider with an important role to play in the market. I am definitely staying clear for now. I don't want to risk using their services any time soon, given recent events.

Thanked by 1treesmokah
  • Adding hashtags to legal matters sure is something

Thanked by 3emgh equalz mustafamw3
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Their financial issues seem minor in comparison to threatening themselves via social media.

Thanked by 1bdl
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

dudes gonna sue himself I guess?

He still holds the VAST majority, maybe all, shares in the company. He's the governor of the company as well as the chairman.

Whomever is CEO is just a fall guy and there in name only. No one seriously thinks they're going to overrule anything Monster says.

@Arkas said:

If there's hard proof of that, then it should be reported to ICANN. All the scams and money laundering they did probably won't draw eyes/remarks from ICANN since they'll say that's the job of law enforcement to handle.

Not handling renewals/etc is a direct violation of an ICANN contract though and they will snap on that.

Francisco

• _MS__MS_ Member

Thanked by 3ralf ehab TimboJones
  • Also, 2 weeks ago Epik(Royce and Monster) was served
    https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.wawd.320599/gov.uscourts.wawd.320599.1.0.pdf

That's when posting and "Epik 2.0" started.

@treesmokah said:
    Also, 2 weeks ago Epik(Royce and Monster) was served
    https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.wawd.320599/gov.uscourts.wawd.320599.1.0.pdf

That's when posting and "Epik 2.0" started.

This one wasn't even known is the bad part. Everyones aware of the lady that's owed $100k, DomainEmpire being owed $1.5M, and all the complaints on masterbucks. This $300k+ one is likely one of many.

How on gods green earth did they burn up this much cash? You can't smoke that much crack.

Francisco

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Arkas said:

If there's hard proof of that, then it should be reported to ICANN. All the scams and money laundering they did probably won't draw eyes/remarks from ICANN since they'll say that's the job of law enforcement to handle.

Not handling renewals/etc is a direct violation of an ICANN contract though and they will snap on that.

Francisco

Interesting.

Just paid for renewal for one of my domains there, and yeah, doesn't look like it's being extended.

It should be almost instant, but I'll just wait a couple of hours before asking what's going on.

• @Francisco said: How on gods green earth did they burn up this much cash? You can't smoke that much crack.

They bought several companies not that long ago.
    Including(but not limited to) https://amplify.io/ a crypto exchange which instantly stopped working and allegedly all funds people stored there are gone.

@treesmokah said:

@Francisco said: How on gods green earth did they burn up this much cash? You can't smoke that much crack.

They bought several companies not that long ago.
    Including(but not limited to) https://amplify.io/ a crypto exchange which instantly stopped working and allegedly all funds people stored there are gone.

So the 'woops we didnt mean to be an unlicensed exchange/escrow' thing isn't a one off.

Is there any discussion on amplify.io? Where did people make the fraud claims?

Francisco

• @Francisco said: Is there any discussion on amplify.io? Where did people make the fraud claims?

Randos on shitter, they seem very dedicated to saying they got ripped off - that's why I said "alleged". Other parts of the story, like Epik buying and it stopping work - seem to match.

@treesmokah said: Randos on shitter, they seem very dedicated to saying they got ripped off - that's why I said "alleged". Other parts of the story, like Epik buying and it stopping work - seem to match.

Well, any theft could've happened in the midst of a sale so that ones a hearsay.

The other stuff's bad and there's likely to be more parties trying to jump into that lawsuit.

Francisco

• emgemg Veteran
    edited April 2023

@DP said:

Interesting.

Just paid for renewal for one of my domains there, and yeah, doesn't look like it's being extended.

It should be almost instant, but I'll just wait a couple of hours before asking what's going on.

I saw the complaints earlier about this issue where people have registered domains through Epik, and now they are due for renewal.

-> Is someone taking action to ensure that the registered owners of domains have a way to retain and renew their registrations before they expire? Is ICANN or someone else stepping in to avoid unwanted expirations?

Could the situation actually be as bad as, "You picked the wrong registrar. When your domain expires because you were unable to renew it through Epik, some squatter bot will capture it and take it away from you." ?

• emghemgh Member

ICANN with all of its’ resources are surely already monitoring Epik.

Maybe not officially, but they for sure know about this.

That’s my guess anyway.

• Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited April 2023

I can vouch first hand that I paid for multiple domains to be renewed and they couldn't make it happen for whatever reason citing "technical difficulties", which still persist to this day.

The only way I was able to keep my domains is because I was able to get transferred out.

Support seems to be China based now (and literally, only one person, "Nicole" )

They gave me a store credit but they're smoking crack if they think I'm staying with them after all of this bullshit. I kindly asked for a refund to my card and they said they'd get it processed but here were are almost a month later, no refund, no updates.

Chargeback is happening tomorrow. If I had $3500 to drop, I'd transfer everything out of there immediately.

• @Don_Keedic said:
    I can vouch first hand that I paid for multiple domains to be renewed and they couldn't make it happen for whatever reason citing "technical difficulties", which still persist to this day.

The only way I was able to keep my domains is because I was able to get transferred out.

They gave me a store credit but they're smoking crack if they think I'm staying with them after all of this bullshit. I kindly asked for a refund to my card and they said they'd get it processed but here were are almost a month later, no refund, no updates.

Chargeback is happening tomorrow. If I had $3500 to drop, I'd transfer everything out of there immediately.

Terrible.
    Make sure to report it to ICANN.

• @treesmokah said:

@Don_Keedic said:

Terrible.
    Make sure to report it to ICANN.

Oh definitely. I wanted to make sure to get complete resolution before I submitted anything to them.

You ever heard of a registrar deadpooling? Or what happens to the domains if they do deadpool? I'm getting an ulcer just thinking about it

• @Don_Keedic said: You ever heard of a registrar deadpooling? Or what happens to the domains if they do deadpool? I'm getting an ulcer just thinking about it

I have personally never heard of registar deadpooling, but I'd imagine ICANN would step in. Also depending on TLD's, domains registry may also be able to help with transferring the domain somewhere else.

edited April 2023

@treesmokah said: I have personally never heard of registar deadpooling, but I'd imagine ICANN would step in.

Its not as common these days with all the auditing ICANN does and how rigorous the whole process is. But, what happens is that a new destination registrar is picked, and you become the 'winning registrar's customer now.

You actually have to document this all in your application to become a registrar, basically "How would you handle handing over customer details if you were to deadpool tomorrow?"

Francisco

Thanked by 2treesmokah bdl
  • @Francisco said:

@treesmokah said: I have personally never heard of registar deadpooling, but I'd imagine ICANN would step in.

Its not as common these days with all the auditing ICANN does and how rigorous the whole process is. But, what happens is that a new destination registrar is picked, and you become the 'winning registrar's customer now.

You actually have to document this all in your application to become a registrar, basically "How would you handle handing over customer details if you were to deadpool tomorrow?"

Francisco

Thank you @Francisco! That makes me feel better about the whole deal. I can't imagine a company as big as Epik having a single support person but anytime I've emailed (and from different emails) it's the same person replying. All I could think was the company is sinking and my domains were going to go down with the ship. Happy to hear there's a contigency plan!

• Did the demons Rob Monster warned us about take over his balance sheet?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I think he’s trying to cause confusion to buy himself time to pack and get on a plane, because this looks like a future congressional hearing to me.

• bdlbdl Member

waiting for Elon to buy Epik in 3...2...1...

• _MS__MS_ Member
    edited April 2023

@Don_Keedic said: You ever heard of a registrar deadpooling?

Read about Net4India.

https://www.icann.org/en/announcements/details/net-4-india-registrants-next-steps-to-accessing-and-maintaining-domain-names-11-5-2021-en

@Don_Keedic said: Or what happens to the domains if they do deadpool?

ICANN invokes the De-Accredited Registrar Transition Procedure (DARTP).

Upon the termination or expiration of a registrar’s Registrar
    Accreditation Agreement (RAA) or its Registry-­‐Registrar Agreement
    (RRA), the registrations sponsored by the de-­‐accredited registrar must
    be transitioned to a competent accredited registrar.

@Don_Keedic said: I'm getting an ulcer just thinking about it

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322740#home-remedies

Thanked by 1quicksilver03
    edited April 2023

Royce is working on getting the money back.

(I am not joking, https://twitter.com/Brianmroyce and scroll to the bottom)