Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Installing Proxmox on Ubuntu 22.04 Colocation Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help Installing Proxmox on Ubuntu 22.04 Colocation Server

suyadi92suyadi92 Member
edited April 2023 in Help

My boss hand-over me a small colocation server for learning pupose. My task is to remotely install proxmox so it can be sliced into smaller vps. Current installed OS was ubuntu 22.04.

Google only give me something like offline installation tutorial which is not very helpful since the phisical server is far away from me.

Can you guys give some suggestion or any articles that I can read on how to install proxmox remotely?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2023

Your boss gave you the task to see if you know anything about the job. Seemingly not.

KVM over IP install? Install via ipmi? Debian 11 install and conversion. There are plenty of ways.

I think you found plenty of tutorials but they looked complicated due to lack of pictures, so you skipped them.

Any tutorial with pictures would be offline install from GUI. The funny thing is, that if you knew about ipmi/kvm, you could even follow those offline tutorials.

Dishonest resume is not a good idea. The employer will notice it eventually.

Thanked by 2suyadi92 pedala
  • Thak you for the answer @stefeman
    Yes, this is my first time with colocation server and proxmox thats why I post this question with hope of someone with better knowlegde than me can give me some advice on this particular issue.

Sorry for my wrong/bad english as it's not my daily language. Hope you don't feel offended

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2023

Sigh.. Easiest way is probly installing normal Debian 11 and using some guide to install Proxmox kernel over it.

”Install proxmox on Debian 11” to google

Or just ask from colocation for ipmi access and mount proxmox.iso and install manually using the KVM window and offline guide with pictures about clicking ”Next”.

Thanked by 1suyadi92
  • Dishonest resume is not a good idea. The employer will notice it eventually.

I:m sorry but i'm not a devops/system engineer and I never claim to be in my resume. I'm a web developer but since the main devops eng left i need to takeover his job until we found a new one. Hope that clears the situation

Thanked by 2stefeman Erisa
  • ”Install proxmox on debian 11” to google

Thank you

• Ask your colocation provider for kvm or ipmi if exist

Then install proxmox

Do not try to install in over Ubuntu but install it from proxmox official iso which is free to download on their website.

Thanked by 1suyadi92
  • @BingoBongo said:
    Ask your colocation provider for kvm or ipmi if exist
    Then install proxmox

Thank you

• Search for one-click installation of PVE on Github and you will find quite a few projects

Thanked by 1suyadi92
  • cpsdcpsd Member

Dont prepare a server with public access if you dont about hardening.

Thanked by 1suyadi92
  • Thank you for all the recommendations guys! I finally contacted the colo provider as suggested above and they are willing to help me on the installation

• Thank you guys, I'm waiting!

• Congratz @cheatpz on your 10 spammy posts!

• @Pilzbaum said:
    Congratz @cheatpz on your 10 spammy posts!

lol