Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are EU servers good for US end users?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are EU servers good for US end users?

Comments

• You need to be more specific.

• sthostingsthosting Member, Patron Provider

You can't answer that in general, but we've a lot of US-Customers which are using our servers for various services.

• Only in NY really, and it's the UK not EU.

• davidedavide Member
    edited April 2023

On a web browser the difference between a web server in the US or EU isn't acutely noticeable. I'm still using a Pentium and load time is mostly page rendering. (...if it aint broke)

Rather, with the same budget you get lower specs from the EU.

Thanked by 1KatAdventurer
  • @Don_Keedic said:
    You need to be more specific.

PHP Web Apps for US visitors/end users.

• @sthosting said: we've a lot of US-Customers which are using our servers for various services.

Various services for US visitors?

@SirFoxy said:
    Only in NY really, and it's the UK not EU.

That's why? sir

@davide said: On a web browser the difference between a web server in the US or EU isn't acutely noticeable. I'm still using a Pentium and load time is mostly page rendering. (...if it aint broke)

How about the latency?

@davide said: with the same budget you get lower specs from the EU.

Not get lower specs from the US?

Thanked by 1davide
  • MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@EthanZou said:

@Don_Keedic said:

It shouldn't matter, especially if you use a cdn like cloudflare.

Thanked by 1bdl
  • Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited April 2023

@EthanZou said:

@Don_Keedic said:

I don't see that being an issue at all. I'd bet a majority of users wouldn't even have a clue it's hosted outside the US unless you told them. You're talking about maybe a 60-80ms difference between a server in the EU and one centrally located in the US. CDN with multiple PoPs makes that even less of an issue.

• @MrRadic said:

@EthanZou said:

@Don_Keedic said:

Same for Dynamic Content?

@Don_Keedic said: CDN with multiple PoPs makes that even less of an issue.

That's great but how about for Dynamic Content?

• @EthanZou said:

@MrRadic said:

@EthanZou said:

@Don_Keedic said:

Yes, it will run just fine.

We can sit here and talk about it all day but judging by how this conversation is going, answers aren't going to be enough. We're on LowEndTalk, pick up a VPS and give it a spin, put your worries to rest.

Here's a few in Luxembourg from BuyVM - https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?gid=39

Here's a few in the Netherlands from IncogNET - https://portal.incognet.io/store/netherlands-kvm-vps

Here's a few in the UK from SpeedyPage - https://speedypage.com/vps

Here's a few more in the Netherlands from Alexhost - https://alexhost.com/vps/vps-netherlands/

• @Don_Keedic said:

@EthanZou said:

@MrRadic said:

@EthanZou said:

@Don_Keedic said:

Yes, it will run just fine.

We can sit here and talk about it all day but judging by how this conversation is going, answers aren't going to be enough. We're on LowEndTalk, pick up a VPS and give it a spin, put your worries to rest.

Here's a few in Luxembourg from BuyVM - https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?gid=39

Here's a few in the Netherlands from IncogNET - https://portal.incognet.io/store/netherlands-kvm-vps

Here's a few in the UK from SpeedyPage - https://speedypage.com/vps

Here's a few more in the Netherlands from Alexhost - https://alexhost.com/vps/vps-netherlands/

Many thanks for your time and SpeedyPage seems great!

• Just do a performance test and answer your own question.
    https://tools.keycdn.com/performance

• EU servers are good for US East coast users. I've one hosted in France, connected to Atlanta.

• @gdnotme said:
    Just do a performance test and answer your own question.
    https://tools.keycdn.com/performance

Thanks for your advice!

@JasonM said:
    EU servers are good for US East coast users. I've one hosted in France, connected to Atlanta.

Works fine?

• As long as the packet loss is extremely rare, I don't see any issue with EU servers. Users are not likely to notice a 120-ish ms delay, unless they are playing a game.

• @noisycode said: Users are not likely to notice a 120-ish ms delay

Same for LET?

• ralfralf Member

@EthanZou said:

@noisycode said: Users are not likely to notice a 120-ish ms delay

Same for LET?

It all depends on your site. If it's a simple site that just serves a "traditional" page that references a few images, you'll have one round-trip for the page, and another set of round-trips for the images. The latency doesn't particularly matter in this case.

On the other hand, if you have a page that fetches some Javascript, and does a ton of REST calls to fetch data, and even worse if some of those REST calls rely on previous ones, then the experience will be less good, especially on the first visit which is arguably the most important for making a first impression.

So, it all depends on what the site is doing. You'll just have to measure it yourself, or make an educated guess based on how your own site works.

• @ralf said:

@EthanZou said:

@noisycode said: Users are not likely to notice a 120-ish ms delay

Same for LET?

It all depends on your site. If it's a simple site that just serves a "traditional" page that references a few images, you'll have one round-trip for the page, and another set of round-trips for the images. The latency doesn't particularly matter in this case.

On the other hand, if you have a page that fetches some Javascript, and does a ton of REST calls to fetch data, and even worse if some of those REST calls rely on previous ones, then the experience will be less good, especially on the first visit which is arguably the most important for making a first impression.

So, it all depends on what the site is doing. You'll just have to measure it yourself, or make an educated guess based on how your own site works.

Thanks a lot!
    Mainly several sites built with Laravel or Wordpress.

• pbxpbx Member

@EthanZou said: Mainly several sites built with Laravel or Wordpress.

The optimization of the site itself will matter most than where it is located.

With a good caching strategy you'll deliver the page in a matter of milliseconds, adding 80 ms on top of that isn't a problem.

If your site is slow because the web server you are hosting it on is overloaded and your code is not optimized, it'll be slow, even if it's hosted very close to your visitors.

• @pbx said:

@EthanZou said: Mainly several sites built with Laravel or Wordpress.

The optimization of the site itself will matter most than where it is located.

With a good caching strategy you'll deliver the page in a matter of milliseconds, adding 80 ms on top of that isn't a problem.

If your site is slow because the web server you are hosting it on is overloaded and your code is not optimized, it'll be slow, even if it's hosted very close to your visitors.

Get√, It's Processing power.

• pbxpbx Member

@EthanZou said: Processing power.

And/Or full page caching!

• @pbx said:

@EthanZou said: Processing power.

And/Or full page caching!

I think page caching is not a solution for everything. If Op want some dynamic content to be managed how can OP add page caching? Instead Op should implement GeoDNS + NLB if its latency critical application...

• pbxpbx Member

@sreekanth850 said: If Op want some dynamic content to be managed how can OP add page caching?

Sure it's not the perfect solution for everything, but it can help in many cases, and object caching can come to the rescue if dynamic content is needed... What I meant is that good optimization on the server side is way more important than the server being 80ms closer to the end user, at least for most websites.

• @pbx said:

@sreekanth850 said: If Op want some dynamic content to be managed how can OP add page caching?

Sure it's not the perfect solution for everything, but it can help in many cases, and object caching can come to the rescue if dynamic content is needed... What I meant is that good optimization on the server side is way more important than the server being 80ms closer to the end user, at least for most websites.

Yes. Europe is an optimal place for hosting as it gives a balanced latency for asia and US. Only issue will be Sydney as it will have more than 200 ms in latency but again all this will not be noticeable for a average web app unless it handle any real time data and all.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @sreekanth850 said: want some dynamic content to be managed

Yes, it's my use case.

@pbx said: object caching can come to the rescue if dynamic content is needed

That's Cool, so what should I do for this?

@sreekanth850 said: Europe is an optimal place for hosting

How about US East in comparison?

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2023

@EthanZou said:

@sreekanth850 said: want some dynamic content to be managed

Yes, it's my use case.

@pbx said: object caching can come to the rescue if dynamic content is needed

That's Cool, so what should I do for this?

@sreekanth850 said: Europe is an optimal place for hosting

How about US East in comparison?

https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/classes/wp_object_cache/

US East is a fine location but it would most likely have worse latency to the Asia Pacific region than Europe

• Oh, I see, thanks a lot!

@bruh21 said: US East is a fine location but it would most likely have worse latency to the Asia Pacific region than Europe

Only for US visitors/end users.

• @EthanZou said: That's Cool, so what should I do for this? you can use redis for object caching. Based on the stack there will be implementation methods and guides. If you are using wordpress, you can use plugins.

• @sreekanth850 said:

@EthanZou said: That's Cool, so what should I do for this? you can use redis for object caching. Based on the stack there will be implementation methods and guides. If you are using wordpress, you can use plugins.

Thank you for your guide! sir

• @EthanZou said:

@sreekanth850 said:

@EthanZou said: That's Cool, so what should I do for this? you can use redis for object caching. Based on the stack there will be implementation methods and guides. If you are using wordpress, you can use plugins.

Thank you for your guide! sir

If you have a lot of dynamic contents you can also think of varnish cache and you can setup complex cache rules with varnish config language. Check out that too.