Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this one good enough for PHP and MySQL?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is this one good enough for PHP and MySQL?

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
---------------------------------
Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
Read       | 64.44 MB/s   (16.1k) | 1.52 GB/s    (23.7k)
Write      | 64.56 MB/s   (16.1k) | 1.53 GB/s    (23.9k)
Total      | 129.00 MB/s  (32.2k) | 3.05 GB/s    (47.6k)
           |                      |                     
Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
Read       | 2.24 GB/s     (4.3k) | 2.49 GB/s     (2.4k)
Write      | 2.35 GB/s     (4.6k) | 2.65 GB/s     (2.5k)
Total      | 4.59 GB/s     (8.9k) | 5.15 GB/s     (5.0k)

## Geekbench v5 CPU Benchmark:

Single Core : 1098  (EXCELLENT)
   Multi Core : 3012

Comments

• Or any valuable suggestions for PHP and MySQL?
    Thanks! <3

• yes

• nick_nick_ Member

Yes, more than enough to host websites. It's a decent VPS.

• @SirFoxy said:
    yes
    @nick_ said:
    Yes, more than enough to host websites. It's a decent VPS.

Block Size | 4k            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----
    Read       | 64.44 MB/s   (16.1k)
    Write      | 64.56 MB/s   (16.1k)
    Total      | 129.00 MB/s  (32.2k)

How about this IOPS?

• HxxxHxxx Member

plenty

• It's more than enough. IOPS also decent.

• Yes

• @febryanvaldo said: IOPS also decent.

For mysql?

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited April 2023

@EthanZou said: For mysql?

It's quite good for database. But if you want to really know the performance of VPS for database, then i suggest to try Phoronix Benchmark

https://openbenchmarking.org/suite/pts/database

• nvmenvme Member

That is good enough, I think it will be an overkill.

• @febryanvaldo said:

@EthanZou said: For mysql?

It's quite good for database. But if you want to really know the performance of VPS for database, then i suggest to try Phoronix Benchmark

https://openbenchmarking.org/suite/pts/database

Thank you! Sir

@nvme said:
    That is good enough, I think it will be an overkill.

Happy to hear that.

• As to Geekbench 5 Single Core Score, will the CPU processing speed of 2000 points be twice as fast as that of 1000 points?

• @EthanZou said:
    As to Geekbench 5 Single Core Score, will the CPU processing speed of 2000 points be twice as fast as that of 1000 points?

If you're just hosting php Web applications I imagine you'd be unlikely to be cpu bound, so it doesn't really matter. You're probably more likely to run into issues with unoptimised code

• fazarfazar Member
    edited April 2023

@EthanZou said:
    fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    ---------------------------------
    Block Size | 4k (IOPS) | 64k (IOPS)
    ------ | --- ---- | ---- ----
    Read | 64.44 MB/s (16.1k) | 1.52 GB/s (23.7k)
    Write | 64.56 MB/s (16.1k) | 1.53 GB/s (23.9k)
    Total | 129.00 MB/s (32.2k) | 3.05 GB/s (47.6k)
    | |
    Block Size | 512k (IOPS) | 1m (IOPS)
    ------ | --- ---- | ---- ----
    Read | 2.24 GB/s (4.3k) | 2.49 GB/s (2.4k)
    Write | 2.35 GB/s (4.6k) | 2.65 GB/s (2.5k)
    Total | 4.59 GB/s (8.9k) | 5.15 GB/s (5.0k)

## Geekbench v5 CPU Benchmark:

Single Core : 1098 (EXCELLENT)
    Multi Core : 3012

Yes.. 💯
    Good CPU for PHP and fast storage for SQL. By the way, MariaDB or MySQL also require decent amount of RAM.

• @bgerard said: I imagine you'd be unlikely to be cpu bound

That's why? :)

@fazar said: MariaDB or MySQL also require decent amount of RAM

Any suggestions? :#

• @EthanZou said:

@bgerard said: I imagine you'd be unlikely to be cpu bound

MariaDB have frequent updates where as mysql have long update cycle. So i will prefer mysql. Also people are saying mariadb using more ram compared to mysql.

• fazarfazar Member

For personal project or hobbies, I recommend at least 1 GB (assuming you're not using web panel).

• @EthanZou said:

Obviously it depends what your application is doing, it certainly could he cpu bound. In my experience developers put too much focus on performance characteristics of the underlying hardware rather than what the application actually requires, I.e: much of the slowness comes from waiting for I/O rather than the cpu.

You're best off setting up metrics and establishing which parts of your architecture causes bottlenecks instead of focusing on hardware.

Do you do lots of calculations, hashing etc? That's cpu bound, make sure you're spreading work effective across all cores and then if you're hitting limits, consider whether you need better performance per core or more cores.

Are you experiencing slowness on the application side or database side? If it's application side, can you optimise the code, are you iterating large arrays multiple times when you don't have to etc. If it's on the database side, are you waiting for the disk?, does the database cache things in memory, could you benefit from more memory? Is the database maxing out your cpu?

Or are you just calling external apis that are slow? Not much you can do about that.

Lots of questions you need to consider. Throwing hardware at things doesn't always cause a performance gain, you need to understand your stack.

• @bgerard said:

@EthanZou said:

Obviously it depends what your application is doing, it certainly could he cpu bound. In my experience developers put too much focus on performance characteristics of the underlying hardware rather than what the application actually requires, I.e: much of the slowness comes from waiting for I/O rather than the cpu.

You're best off setting up metrics and establishing which parts of your architecture causes bottlenecks instead of focusing on hardware.

Do you do lots of calculations, hashing etc? That's cpu bound, make sure you're spreading work effective across all cores and then if you're hitting limits, consider whether you need better performance per core or more cores.

Are you experiencing slowness on the application side or database side? If it's application side, can you optimise the code, are you iterating large arrays multiple times when you don't have to etc. If it's on the database side, are you waiting for the disk?, does the database cache things in memory, could you benefit from more memory? Is the database maxing out your cpu?

Or are you just calling external apis that are slow? Not much you can do about that.

Lots of questions you need to consider. Throwing hardware at things doesn't always cause a performance gain, you need to understand your stack.

Benefit a lot! Thank you very much! @bgerard

• That GB5 single score isn't bad but it's far from being quick

• @corbpie said:
    That GB5 single score isn't bad but it's far from being quick

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
    Intel Core i9-13900
    :)

• sreekanth850sreekanth850 Member
    edited April 2023

@bgerard said:

@EthanZou said:
    As to Geekbench 5 Single Core Score, will the CPU processing speed of 2000 points be twice as fast as that of 1000 points?

If you're just hosting php Web applications I imagine you'd be unlikely to be cpu bound, so it doesn't really matter. You're probably more likely to run into issues with unoptimised code

OP should start with small server and monitor the usage and create a benchmark of performance of the application and then scale it based on the requirement. I'm testing a .net core web API and a Mysql instance on a shared cloud server with AMD EPYC 2 GHz, with 2 vCPU and a 4 GB ram. But with this test data i can approximately make a projection of resources based on needs.

• @sreekanth850 said:

@bgerard said:

@EthanZou said:

OP should start with small server and monitor the usage and create a benchmark of performance of the application and then scale it based on the requirement. I'm testing a .net core web API and a Mysql instance on a shared cloud server with AMD EPYC 2 GHz, with 2 vCPU and a 4 GB ram. But with this test data i can approximately make a projection of resources based on needs.

How to determine if the CPU/IO is a performance bottleneck of my web apps?

• @EthanZou said:

@sreekanth850 said:

@bgerard said:

@EthanZou said:

How to determine if the CPU/IO is a performance bottleneck of my web apps?

You can start with a small server use some server monitoring tools where you can monitor the usage. you can use tools like zabbiz. or there will be lightweight monitoring tools. Hetrix also have some basic monitoring if you prefer cloud one.