Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a yabs for RAM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there a yabs for RAM?

How do I check the frequency of the RAM? Whether the RAM is DDR4 or 5? I tried dmidecode and lshw on my VPS but couldn't find the info I wanted.

Does yabs in some form represent the memory?
Also, is there a need to benchmark RAM separately (to measure the performance of a vps), and if there is what's the standard?

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited April 2023

$ cat /proc/meminfo
    and
    $ sudo dmidecode --type memory | less

Thanked by 1greentea
  • Ubuntu

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -E "model name|cpu MHz"

Thanked by 1greentea
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited April 2023

In my opinion if you are worried about memory speeds then you are not using a good provider.

Just use a reliable provider and if you see they are using a desktop CPU like Ryzen, make sure to ask if they are using ECC RAM modules. If they are not using ECC RAM modules, well, that will tell you enough about their standards.

No ECC = Don't use that provider for anything production.

Thanked by 2anand_1z woteti
  • @febryanvaldo said:
    Ubuntu

> cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -E "model name|cpu MHz"
    > 

This just gives me the CPU MHz.

@Arkas said:
    $ sudo dmidecode --type memory | less

This gives me "Unknown"/"Not Specified"/"Error Information Handle: Not Provided" for most of the fields.

• TanXSTanXS Member
    edited April 2023

This is what I found, this is more likely to measure the bandwidth (performance) of the ram, but not frequency

Install sysbench
    sudo apt install sysbench

Write speed
    sysbench --test=memory --memory-block-size=512K --memory-total-size=10G run

Read speed
    sysbench --test=memory --memory-oper=read --memory-block-size=512K --memory-total-size=10G run

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2023

@anand_1z said: How do I check the frequency of the RAM? Whether the RAM is DDR4 or 5? I tried dmidecode and lshw on my VPS but couldn't find the info I wanted.

It is not possible to reach the hardware level from a VPS to read the DDR type details.

If you want to benchmark it, you can also install mbw and run it giving it a number that is a bit less than half of the free RAM amount you have available. E.g. on a 8 GB lightly-loaded VPS try mbw 3500.

Thanked by 1anand_1z
  • vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

To check the frequency and type of RAM installed on your VPS, use the command:
    sudo lshw -class memory
    If you can't find the information you're looking for, contact your VPS provider for support. Benchmarking your RAM can be useful but should be done with caution, and there are several tools available for this purpose, such as Memtest86+ and Geekbench. Keep in mind that benchmarks may not always reflect real-world usage, so consider your specific workload and use case when evaluating the performance of your VPS.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@vsys_host said: If you can't find the information you're looking for, contact your VPS provider for support. Benchmarking your RAM can be useful but should be done with caution, and there are several tools available for this purpose, such as Memtest86+ and Geekbench. Keep in mind that benchmarks may not always reflect real-world usage, so consider your specific workload and use case when evaluating the performance of your VPS.

Do you think you provide any value by copy-pasting from ChatGPT to a forum?

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

@rm_ said:

Do you think you provide any value by copy-pasting from ChatGPT to a forum?

Oops
    Our employee used ChatGPT to find an alternative solution since the topic starter did not mark one from the proposed as suitable; so the suggested option makes value.

• @vsys_host said: topic starter did not mark one

:P

@rm_ said: mbw

Thanks for your help!!!!!!! This equips me with the correct tool to decide which VPS should be idled and which one to let go!!

Thanked by 1vsys_host
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

ramdisk and dd.

• alt_alt_ Member
    edited April 2023

Here, I wrote something roughly using mbw to determine the DDR version, but I'm unsure if it works correctly or not.
    https://paste.debian.net/plain/1277381

Thanked by 1anand_1z