Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to configure an additional IP block with OVH (aka how to not be a stupid person)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to configure an additional IP block with OVH (aka how to not be a stupid person)

emghemgh Member

I know nothing about Linux except for what I've done, fully self learned everything I know.

The issue with that is I've only used VPS (a few dedis here and there but very temporary).

Now I got a OVH dedi with a primary IP (and a /64 IPV6 block).

I also got this /29 that I'd like to use every IP of.

Goal: Get SolusVM to work.

Instructions: "Node IP as Gateway IP in IP block settings".

My confusion: Enourmous

My general happiness level: It was good now I'm down bad

Everything I try either changes nothing or makes the dedi unreachable

Pls help xoxo

Comments

• emghemgh Member

Addon: If I deem your assistance very assistful there might be a small portion of the server avaliable to you for free for some time as a thank you, or a hug

Thanked by 1greentea
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

I believe solusvm is asking the gateway ip to be the ip that is configured as primary ip in the hypervisor. I could be very wrong too, if this is for a personal project, can you give me temporary solusvm access, I can probably fiddle around with it.

I need a hug so bad.

Thanked by 2emgh greentea
  • emghemgh Member
    edited April 2023

@FatGrizzly said:
    I believe solusvm is asking the gateway ip to be the ip that is configured as primary ip in the hypervisor. I could be very wrong too, if this is for a personal project, can you give me temporary solusvm access, I can probably fiddle around with it.

I need a hug so bad.

THANKS SO MUCH BUT I DID IT!!! YOU WERE RIGHT THAT WAS IT!!!

Have you used Solus a lot? Do you know if there's DNS integration with PowerDNS that goes further then reverse records? Like setting A-records for example? (V2)

hugs and kisses <3

I only see information about reverse records so I think not, very sad.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

No, i haven't ever tried solus, wanted to give a try on yours 😅. I don't quite get why you want to set A records from solus... is that for default reverse dns?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited April 2023

@FatGrizzly said:
    No, i haven't ever tried solus, wanted to give a try on yours 😅. I don't quite get why you want to set A records from solus... is that for default reverse dns?

You can, don't have a lot of disk sadly but I got some RAM (more than disk lol) and an IP that you can play around with.

No, it already does reverse DNS if I want it to, but I don't really.

I manage like 6-7 websites for a guy and I recently noticed that he spends crazy amounts on Digital Ocean droplets, he's already in the 1 k / month total across VPS services and it's not pretty.

So my plan is to after some (read: a lot) testing put everything at a OVH dedicated server, have everything backed up daily to Hetzner, and go from there.

Right now different people helped him with different providers at different times so even stuff like backups are spread around like crazy. No structure.

Honestly he's not agreed to my plan and he is skeptical but I've taken the risk of buying everything, paying out of pocket, setting it all up and so on to prove the set up to him.

If he denies it I've lost like 1/5 of what I'll make in a month if he agrees.

As of now I've hosted like 2 out of his websites for a few years so he definitely have confidence in me at least.

Got this:

GAME-1
    CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - 6c/12t - 3.7 GHz/4.6 GHz
    Memory : 64 GB DDR4 ECC
    Storage : 2 x 512 SSD NVMe (Raided)
    Public bandwidth : 250 Mbps (burst 1 Gbps)
    Private bandwidth : No private bandwidth

In Frankfurt (or Limburg rather).

Edit: To answer the question, since I obviously forgot it halfway through, I'd like for him to be able to do it all inside of Solus. I don't use any billing software or anything since I just manually send him invoices in my bookkeeping software, so that login is everything he needs to remember and know. I'd like for him to not have to handle a separate DNS provider.

• ralfralf Member

@emgh said:

This might be your problem. The way most subnets are set up the all 0s and all 1s are unavailable, and one of the others is usually the device that routes your data elsewhere, so from your 8 IPs, you'll only actually have 5 to play with.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited April 2023

@ralf said:

@emgh said:

This might be your problem. The way most subnets are set up the all 0s and all 1s are unavailable, and one of the others is usually the device that routes your data elsewhere, so from your 8 IPs, you'll only actually have 5 to play with.

I made it work.

I know that but I think what OVH is doing is taking a large block and then selling fake blocks inside of the block so that every IP is usable.

So in reality they're just selling additional IPs that are in the same range.

As in; my block isn't a subnet but a small part of a much bigger subnet where some IPs are reserved (and not at all sold).