Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The biggest worry of my life. help! offshore hosting and game server issue.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The biggest worry of my life. help! offshore hosting and game server issue.

My country has a different concept of law than yours.
(It's not illegal for players who bought Call of Duty to enjoy multimode.
Private serevr of the game is illegal in my country without the permission of the game company.
(Because illegal hacking servers such as world of warcraft are many social issues.)

My country will tell me this.
"You infringed on the copyright of this game and also used it to run a private server, so I'll punish you legally."

In conclusion, our police station will call me.

Step1. Our national game department -> Contact the country of the hosting company I used.
(It only takes time, and it's not difficult for them.)

Step2.hosting company country ->They will request my information from the hosting company. And the hosting company will respond to the needs of the country it belongs to.
(This will also be possible. For example, your company cannot reject your national demands. The police and the judge will judge.)

Worst. I just want to open a GTA5 game server.
It's not going to be used commercially either.
But my country will punish me by law (100 per cent)

So I'm looking for offshore vps.
Can the above be resolved in offshore vps?

If so, please let me know the best offshore vps.

The information I found is as follows
vsys offshore location:Ukraine
buyvm offshore? loc:Luxem burg
alexhost offshore loc:Moldova

Comments

• Get a server wherever, preferably somewhere whey they don't require much information about you - so even if they are approached by forgein govt(they wont give em shit in the first place) they will have nothing to hand out.

• sandozsandoz Veteran

I never heard such things. Which country you are OP? Must be a oppresed country lol. Doesn't make sense specially GTA servers.

Offshore Hosting can help but you will be fine with more latency? Because one thing of offshore hostings is the network. Is not too bad.

You probably should learn about OPSEC. And take steps to prevent your country knowing you. Like using VPN (decent VPN)

As I know most of providers won't provide your information without a court order from local law (except those who pee's in the pants...)

Good luck.

• @sandoz said: I never heard such things.

I heard a lot about such things. I know about cases where people jailed for having server running on dedi/vps. I do talk about mmorpgs and action games.

Yes, this is sucks. Yes, they jailed for 4-6 years. Yes, it did not changed nothing. Yes, some people afraid such stuff because of "theory bullshit" and imagination of things getting worst in worst without even trying that.

This strategy by copyrighters works. And a lot of small groups of game-devs afraid that too much. While at the same time some (i call them) "a big boys" who own the same pirated version of game server - does not give a heck, and even provide their real paypal address, and do not care at all. They host everything on their host directly, and have income around 20k+ usd / mo from their large player base.

Why nobody touches them?
    There are no answer to me, because i do not know what's inside heads of lawyers.

The maximum attempts to whole game industry where i related to were about DCMA complains via 65k+ reports at once to google. And google removed these files, and also they via bot sent to different providers to shutdown hosts with the game.

And the most interesting part, they do not even mentioned which game, which files, and what exactly violated. No, seriously. Imagine to have wordpress website, your own graphics, your own texts, content, nothing illegal at all. You do not have any copyright content on the page, but your website about game. And copyrighter without even care sent automatically to provider who host website abuse complain, and stupid hoster did shut down host for owner. Without notice. Just shutdown/ban and thats it.

And there were not a single case, I know many people from my sphere who have the similar issues. Even I myself got abuse report in 2020, and my website removed from google, and even reported to provider where i did host GNU/GPL code.

Stupid provider even asked me for questions, and suggest to leave.
    And the most funniest thing - i did not host any illegal at all, even right now.
    I just write wall of text how things works, this is some kind of absurdity, but it works like that, and thats sucks.

What must really happen to start to have problems?

• Police
    • Opened sue case
    • Analysis (which costs a lot of money)
    • Information to whom belongs domain, hosting, etc
    • All of that require a lot of time and involve many people and a lot of money to spent.

Will the game company to whom belongs the game do that?
    Depends on the game, and who is behind the game. Some big asses can do that. But many - not.

Because the money and efforts that they will spent is much more than you "damage" to them. Because audience for private servers usually totally different than on official servers.

So, if we talking about idiots who own some content and just scream that they will sue everyone, what to do?

1.) crypto
    2.) jump from provider every month
    3.) CDN behind website, and no connections to your game server
    4.) avoid direct payments to you, because you will leak your identity. Ideally to have some gateway provider, or crypto (but very few people use crypto, in my experience, not more than 2% of total players able to use crypto or familiar with that, and even refuse do that even if they strongly need something to purchase).
    5.) whois
    6.) backups
    7.) do not hold all eggs on the same provider.

Something like that.
    But i do not know really answer to your question.

Thanked by 1Dazzle
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@MannDude is your dude.
    Use a fake name and then step 2 leads to nothing.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@yoursunny said:
    @MannDude is your dude.

We don't even ask for a name.

Everyone is, "IncogNET Customer Privacy" on our end.

• uni14uni14 Member

@treesmokah said: Get a server wherever, preferably somewhere whey they don't require much information about you - so even if they are approached by forgein govt(they wont give em shit in the first place) they will have nothing to hand out.

So where is that, sir.

• uni14uni14 Member

@sandoz said: I never heard such things. Which country you are OP? Must be a oppresed country lol. Doesn't make sense specially GTA servers.

Offshore Hosting can help but you will be fine with more latency? Because one thing of offshore hostings is the network. Is not too bad.

You probably should learn about OPSEC. And take steps to prevent your country knowing you. Like using VPN (decent VPN)

As I know most of providers won't provide your information without a court order from local law (except those who pee's in the pants...)

Good luck.

(The English sentence is awkward, but you will understand it.)

I fully understand you.
    I live in a democratic country but there was a case in my country where I opened the multi-server of the game without getting permission from the game company.
    This is not for people who buy Call of Duty to open a multi-room.
    The game company suffered damage.
    So this is what happens in my country.

More important than server delay time,
    It's done according to the text, so I don't answer the police call.

As you said, due to my national request
    I'm worried that the offshore VPS hosting I use will experience orders from local law courts.

So I'm looking for an offshore and I still don't know where to head.

• uni14uni14 Member

@desperand said: I heard a lot about such things. I know about cases where people jailed for having server running on dedi/vps. I do talk about mmorpgs and action games.

Yes, this is sucks. Yes, they jailed for 4-6 years. Yes, it did not changed nothing. Yes, some people afraid such stuff because of "theory bullshit" and imagination of things getting worst in worst without even trying that.

This strategy by copyrighters works. And a lot of small groups of game-devs afraid that too much. While at the same time some (i call them) "a big boys" who own the same pirated version of game server - does not give a heck, and even provide their real paypal address, and do not care at all. They host everything on their host directly, and have income around 20k+ usd / mo from their large player base.

Why nobody touches them?

There are no answer to me, because i do not know what's inside heads of lawyers.

The maximum attempts to whole game industry where i related to were about DCMA complains via 65k+ reports at once to google. And google removed these files, and also they via bot sent to different providers to shutdown hosts with the game.

And the most interesting part, they do not even mentioned which game, which files, and what exactly violated. No, seriously. Imagine to have wordpress website, your own graphics, your own texts, content, nothing illegal at all. You do not have any copyright content on the page, but your website about game. And copyrighter without even care sent automatically to provider who host website abuse complain, and stupid hoster did shut down host for owner. Without notice. Just shutdown/ban and thats it.

And there were not a single case, I know many people from my sphere who have the similar issues. Even I myself got abuse report in 2020, and my website removed from google, and even reported to provider where i did host GNU/GPL code.

Stupid provider even asked me for questions, and suggest to leave.

And the most funniest thing - i did not host any illegal at all, even right now.
    I just write wall of text how things works, this is some kind of absurdity, but it works like that, and thats sucks.

What must really happen to start to have problems?

Police

Opened sue case
    Analysis (which costs a lot of money)
    Information to whom belongs domain, hosting, etc
    All of that require a lot of time and involve many people and a lot of money to spent.
    Will the game company to whom belongs the game do that?
    Depends on the game, and who is behind the game. Some big asses can do that. But many - not.

Because the money and efforts that they will spent is much more than you "damage" to them. Because audience for private servers usually totally different than on official servers.

So, if we talking about idiots who own some content and just scream that they will sue everyone, what to do?

1.) crypto

2.) jump from provider every month
    3.) CDN behind website, and no connections to your game server
    4.) avoid direct payments to you, because you will leak your identity. Ideally to have some gateway provider, or crypto (but very few people use crypto, in my experience, not more than 2% of total players able to use crypto or familiar with that, and even refuse do that even if they strongly need something to purchase).
    5.) whois
    6.) backups
    7.) do not hold all eggs on the same provider.

Something like that.

But i do not know really answer to your question.

You said good things to me with all your heart and soul
    Honestly, your words are too difficult for me
    What should I do.
    Which site should I use

• uni14uni14 Member

@yoursunny said:
    @MannDude is your dude.

If I don't enter the actual name when I pay for the hosting product, I don't think I'll be able to pay by credit card.
    I'll see if there's a bitcoin payment.Thank you.

• uni14uni14 Member

@MannDude said: We don't even ask for a name.

Everyone is, "IncogNET Customer Privacy" on our end.

You are run offshore hosting?

If the country where your hosting belongs legally requires information, is it possible not to provide information when I pay?

Even if I hide my name and pay through VPN so that I don't even leave an IP, the payment details will exist and my name and card number will be written on the details.

I'm not arguing. I'm asking because I'm very interested :)

• @uni14 said: The biggest worry of my life

Might be time to re-evaluate what is important in life.

• ralfralf Member

How can you be done for a copyright infringement if the copyright holder isn't pursuing you? If, as you claim, this is legal in every other country, then the copyright holder isn't involved - so is this just the country making up fake copyright claims? Or is it that you are in fact infringing copyright with these servers? If so, the solution is to not run one.

• @uni14 said: What should I do.

1. cloudflare + VPS for web-server & tunnel to cloudflare
    2. use always VPN
    3. host with very big providers that does not understand english or in different countries
    4. use proxy system in front of your server that redirect requests to your main game server (transparent proxy)
    5. use separate mail service/server
    6. use whois on your domain
    7. do not click on links that posted to you by anyone, like images, and links to websites that you do not know (if you always running VPN - it's much better)
    8. Do not hold all eggs in one bucket. Separate email, accounts for your project. Do not use your real email for your game-server.
    9. Try to make pre-authorization for doing donations to your game server. I.e. player account must to have some activity first, before a player can do transaction. (protects against people who wish to leak identity by sending money directly)
    10. If you're able to use services like paymentwall, stripe, etc. Any payment gateway.
    11. Every 1-2 months jump for security reasons from one game server to another one. Or change IPs / host
    12. always keep backups for case: "shit happened"
    13. setup proper notifications, to get asap mails from provider (if abuse sent to you). And react immanently.
    14. Do not be big boy. Do not be greedy. Do not try to conquer whole market by your game. Otherwise you will face original devs.
  • VoidVoid Member

If this is your biggest worry in life you haven’t lived at all

• Why not just set up wireguard between your friends, or use the likes of TailScale/ZeroTier to create a vLAN?
    Then you can host yourself you legally purchased server and no one knows who you are as you are playing over an encrypted network.

• alt_alt_ Member

I am using zap-hosting.com for running game server, happy with their value and performance so far although they are some bad reviews like bad server management, lots of hackers. However, they ain’t seem to be a problem to me.

Thanked by 1desperand