Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finding a better alternative to neko rooms. (Virtual browser)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Finding a better alternative to neko rooms. (Virtual browser)

MMzFMMzF Member

Hello there, does anyone know a better option then neko-rooms some sites like giggl work very well. i only need is a virtual browser (authentication not needed or more options) finding a bit light weight/fast version. neko rooms is a bit slow for me, my server is much closer to me but neko rooms having latency issue. i will only be using this for my personal use with server specs:
2gb ram
1 core
20gb ssd

Comments

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

You could take a look at kasmweb (max 5 sessions for free license) and their workspace images (need docker knowledge, no limits, no nice management ui)

• dosaidosai Member

+1 kasmweb, been using it for a long time now. No complaints.

• Do you need a persistent session (aka. that the data stays), or do you want disposable ones?
    Just a browser, or more than that? What's your use-case exactly?

• MMzFMMzF Member
    edited April 2023

@JeDaYoshi said:
    Do you need a persistent session (aka. that the data stays), or do you want disposable ones?
    Just a browser, or more than that? What's your use-case exactly?

disposable would be better, just a browser, @dosai @BasToTheMax i have tested kasmweb but it is not as smooth as giggl, something different then vnc based product, i have also test firefox and chrome docker image but it was also not smooth, use case is browsing the web including social media, my isp blocks loads of things.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2023

I use a Debian linux desktop with LXDE because it's light and with Firefox ESR. My purpose was not to keep it smooth, but just to keep some page of website in refresh every few minutes, without logout. For this I use a VPS from Virmach because I don't really need some extremely reliable service level agreement for it.

Your problem with "smooth" depends on what you wish to achieve. Keep in mind that every video played on the browser of VPS needs to be transmitted uncompressed towards your location so it can be viewed. If the data is compressed, then the CPU of VPS has to make this compression in real time for streaming, which could break the terms of service of VPS provider regarding CPU abuse.

Usually for something like this people use the VPS configured as VPN instead, so they can use their own browser from local machine.

Thanked by 1MMzF
  • JeDaYoshiJeDaYoshi Member
    edited April 2023

@MMzF said:
    disposable would be better, just a browser, @dosai @BasToTheMax i have tested kasmweb but it is not as smooth as giggl, something different then vnc based product, i have also test firefox and chrome docker image but it was also not smooth, use case is browsing the web including social media, my isp blocks loads of things.

The biggest issue here is that 1 core of CPU is not enough to deal with both a browser, and the stream video encoding (which is n.eko and Giggl use, and is more intensive than VNC etc.)

At least something ranging from 2-4 cores would help you have a smoother experience if you want to host it yourself.

I originally missed the mentions of your server specs, sorry about that.

Thanked by 1MMzF
  • MMzFMMzF Member
    edited April 2023

@JeDaYoshi let me explain my use bit more, my internet is slow, i can run max 720p smoothly on this internet, the Virtual browser like giggl have data transfer speed same like 720p thats why it run great for me, i have video files in my drives (online storages) & on my server of different sizes, using vbrower helps to bypass video loading time (loads fast enough!) and displays me instantly. i max use data around 5-10gbs

• @MMzF said:
    @JeDaYoshi let me explain my use bit more, my internet is slow, i can run max 720p smoothly on this internet, the Virtual browser like giggl have data transfer speed same like 720p thats why it run great for me, i have video files in my drives (online storages) & on my server of different sizes, using vbrower helps to bypass video loading time (loads fast enough!) and displays me instantly. i max use data around 5-10gbs

I've used similar use-cases, and in this case using a browser running remotely comes in handy! It avoids the whole "re-encoding" issue, which you could technically do, but it varies between what kind of content you're watching and from where. You could encode your own videos and save them in a proper format, but it still takes time and is not as ideal.

But again, if you want to go with this solution, and want a smooth experience using n.eko or anything similar, you need more resources that can bear up with live video encoding to you and a browser running simultaneously. A single core is simply not going to do it.

• MMzFMMzF Member

@JeDaYoshi said:

@MMzF said:

I've used similar use-cases, and in this case using a browser running remotely comes in handy! It avoids the whole "re-encoding" issue, which you could technically do, but it varies between what kind of content you're watching and from where. You could encode your own videos and save them in a proper format, but it still takes time and is not as ideal.

But again, if you want to go with this solution, and want a smooth experience using n.eko or anything similar, you need more resources that can bear up with live video encoding to you and a browser running simultaneously. A single core is simply not going to do it.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/18301882
    umm this can help? (could be arranged)

• @MMzF said:
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/18301882
    umm this can help? (could be arranged)

I'd probably get a CPU with a better single-core performance if I were you, at the very least.