Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The most popular LET server choice
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The most popular LET server choice

tentortentor Member, Patron Provider
edited April 2023 in General

Each day I am seeing few posts on LET about search of a hosting provider at ${country} or ${city}, as well as for some specific ${use_case}. It is of my pure interest - what location/use case is the most popular amongst community?

Personally I reside in Eastern Europe and prefer servers located near to me (although I do not need as low as possible latency). My use case is self-host basically - I really lile to have own mail, own VPN & proxy, as well as own web server and a bunch of services (in my case for now it is only small hugo blog and privatebin instance, but I have a plans to install and maintain searx-ng and some kind of knowledge base).

Please let me know about yours ;)

Do not hesitate to expand this list by your comments.

Server choices
  1. Preferred location67 votes
    1. Asia
      29.85%
    2. Africa
        4.48%
    3. Europe
      43.28%
    4. Middle East
        4.48%
    5. North America
      13.43%
    6. South America
        1.49%
    7. Oceania
        2.99%
  2. Purpose67 votes
    1. Personal usage
      76.12%
    2. Public VPN service
        4.48%
    3. Mining
        1.49%
    4. Staking
        4.48%
    5. Backup storage
        4.48%
    6. Game server
        8.96%

Comments

• I'm located in the US, but the EU is probably the most common because of the large variety of hosting providers at all price levels, and it's well-connected to the rest of the world.

Thanked by 1tentor
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

Basically all my servers are used for web hosting or media serving. I dobn't see such usecase in your poll.

Thanked by 1tentor
  • EthanZouEthanZou Member
    edited April 2023
    North America
      0.00%

Why? :|

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

conspiracy theory: tentor is a provider, he is trying to gather data to serve people at LET better.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@AXYZE said:
    Basically all my servers are used for web hosting or media serving. I dobn't see such usecase in your poll.

Oh, that's my fault. Can you please elaborate on which location you prefer? Or it is similar to a CDN, i.e. distributing presence worldwide?

@FatGrizzly said:
    conspiracy theory: tentor is a provider, he is trying to gather data to serve people at LET better.

You are near the truth - I am not a provider nor work for a provider, but actively planning to become one. Thus I am interested in what community really needs

Thanked by 1greentea
  • ralfralf Member

@tentor said:
    Purpose
    Personal usage
    Public VPN service
    Mining
    Staking
    Backup storage
    Game server

How about public facing web server, public facing email server, etc? I have both of those for my company, but of the things you mentioned only backup storage applies.

Thanked by 1tentor
  • tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@ralf said:
    How about public facing web server, public facing email server, etc? I have both of those for my company, but of the things you mentioned only backup storage applies.

Unfortunately, I cannot edit existing pool, but thanks you for pointing out your server usage purpose!

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited April 2023

@tentor said:

@AXYZE said:

Oh, that's my fault. Can you please elaborate on which location you prefer? Or it is similar to a CDN, i.e. distributing presence worldwide?

My websites are targeted mainly at Europe, so I always get Europe.
    Amsterdam is my favorite location because of great peering all across world (except Oceania and some countries in South America, but I never had customer from these regions).
    If I would need worldwide serving from least locations I would choose Amsterdam + Los Angeles. Good latency everywhere with just 2 locations.
    For 3 locations I would choose Amsterdam, Los Angeles and Miami/Tokyo (depending if I have more visitors from SA or Asia).
    Many people here like Singapore location, but I never had good luck with latencies from SGP to other east Asian countries, Japan was pretty much always better.

Dutch/German locations usually are not blocked by GFW which can be nice benefit if you have some visitors from China.
    For example netcup Nuremberg has ~168ms latency to China Unicom. This is very good result for international connections from/to China and on top of that you'll get excellent speeds in Europe and very good speeds in NA from that location. With "China/Asia optimised" servers in Los Angeles you are looking at same or higher latency (~180ms) and paying more.

Thanked by 2tentor tenji
  • ralfralf Member
    edited April 2023

@AXYZE said:
    Dutch/German locations usually are not blocked by GFW which can be nice benefit if you have some visitors from China.

Oh? Is there a reason for this, or just coincidental?

For example netcup Nuremberg has ~168ms latency to China Unicom. This is very good result for international connections from/to China and on top of that you'll get excellent speeds in Europe and very good speeds in NA from that location.

Any idea about Hetzner Falkenstein?

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@ralf said:

@AXYZE said:

Oh? Is there a reason for this, or just coincidental?

I don't know, I didn't research that topic, but maybe its because European Union has better "relationship" with China compared to US? Or maybe US locations are preferred by Chinese for VPNs to watch some America-exclusive TV and GFW blocks whole IP ranges when it detects VPN-like connections?

For example netcup Nuremberg has ~168ms latency to China Unicom. This is very good result for international connections from/to China and on top of that you'll get excellent speeds in Europe and very good speeds in NA from that location.

Any idea about Hetzner?

Hetzner Nuremberg has worse latency to China Unicom.
    Check this tool out if you want to check worldwide latency
    https://ping.pe/nbg.icmp.hetzner.com

Thanked by 1ralf
  • @concept said: it's well-connected to the rest of the world

Why not the US?

@AXYZE said: Amsterdam is my favorite location because of great peering all across world

How about NYC?

• Asia - SG, for personal webite and safelink.

Thanked by 1tentor