Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any better alternatives to SolusVM2 and VirtFusion for personal use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are there any better alternatives to SolusVM2 and VirtFusion for personal use?

anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
edited March 2023 in General

Hey everyone,

I've been testing SolusVM2 and VirtFusion back to back and I find SolusVM2 easier to use and way cheaper but lacks the ability to create IPv6 only and IPv4 VMs in the same hypervisor. You need to allocate separate hypervisors if you want IPv6 only VMs. However IP management seems a lot easier in SolusVM2.

VirtFusion on the other hand has the ability to create IPv6 only and IPv4 VMs in the same hypervisor which is a great future but doesn't seem to have anything better to justify the $18 price tag versus $8.5 for SolusVM when paid yearly.

Is there any better alternative which is as easy as SolusVM2 to use but has the ability to create IPv6 only and IPv4 VMs together in the same hypervisor and also supports live migration?

Proxmox seems too complicated tbh.

For personal use only. Not for reselling so billing features aren’t important.

Comments

• jamzjamz Member

If this is for personal use, VirtFusion seems to have a non-commercial license that's $50 for the year or $30 for 6 months.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

If it's for personal use, just use Proxmox. Yeah, it might be complicated, but you'll get used to it pretty quickly.

Thanked by 1BingoBongo
  • anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
    edited April 2023

@jamz said:
    If this is for personal use, VirtFusion seems to have a non-commercial license that's $50 for the year or $30 for 6 months.

It's for personal use but not non-commercial. I just won't resell or anything. VirtFusion's license is for non-commercial use it seems.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2023

@anbelevebel said:

@jamz said:

It's for personal use but not non-commercial. I just won't resell or anything. VirtFusion's license is for non-commercial use it seems.

Personal use is non commercial. You're not selling anything to anyone, just managing VMs for yourself?

• @aqua said:
    If it's for personal use, just use Proxmox. Yeah, it might be complicated, but you'll get used to it pretty quickly.

Do you know if I can;

• Create IPv6 only and IPv4 VMs together in the same hypervisor (dedicated server)
    • Live migrate the VMs to another hypervisor along with it's public IPv4 address

with Proxmox?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Haven't tried it but this is also stated to be free for personal use: https://github.com/ConvoyPanel/panel

• @jackb said:

@anbelevebel said:

@jamz said:

Personal use is non commercial. You're not selling anything to anyone, just managing VMs for yourself?

Yes, I'm managing the VMs myself and no one has access to them other than me but I'm still making money out of them. It's our business's VMs. So technically the business is making money even though we're not directly selling the VMs. I'm not sure but I thought this would be considered commercial use.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@anbelevebel said:
    Yes, I'm managing the VMs myself and no one has access to them other than me but I'm still making money out of them. It's our business's VMs. So technically the business is making money even though we're not directly selling the VMs. I'm not sure but I thought this would be considered commercial use.

I see - I don't think I'd consider that personal use.

• @jar said:
    Haven't tried it but this is also stated to be free for personal use: https://github.com/ConvoyPanel/panel

I read their docs and it seems far from ready for production use to me. Other than that, it seems nice for little hobby projects.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@anbelevebel said: create IPv6 only and IPv4 VMs together in the same hypervisor and also supports live migration?

Maybe OpenStack?

Maybe DevStack?

Thanked by 1loay
  • @aqua said:

+1 to this, there is also a huge community for Proxmox so if you encounter issues it's usually pretty easy to resolve or troubleshoot.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @anbelevebel said:

@aqua said:

Do you know if I can;

• Create IPv6 only and IPv4 VMs together in the same hypervisor (dedicated server)
    • Live migrate the VMs to another hypervisor along with it's public IPv4 address

with Proxmox?

Yes you can do all these things with proxmox.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@BingoBongo said: Yes you can do all these things with proxmox.

Yes, you can cluster them together and perform live migrations although some limitations might apply.

• @anbelevebel said:

@jackb said:

@anbelevebel said:

@jamz said:

Depending on your company size we can be flexible on this. Just approach us if interested, maybe we can work something out.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@VirtFusion said:

@anbelevebel said:

@jackb said:

@anbelevebel said:

@jamz said:

Depending on your company size we can be flexible on this. Just approach us if interested, maybe we can work something out.

I maintain a few servers which is primarily used for a 'friend cloud' - or generally just giving friends VPS/access to them for cost price.

I probably make £10-15 a year or so out of rounding errors. Would this be okay within these terms?

I probably won't pick it up as I already have a home-made solution using Proxmox, but I really like VirtFusion and it might be nice if I come to commissioning a new server in the future to throw it on there.

Thanks.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@LordSpock said: I really like VirtFusion

This. People use Proxmox and other solutions. But people, including me, really like Virtfusion. I wish Virtfusion were open source.

• Thank you for your suggestions. I decided to go with VirtFusion after contacting Phill and told me I can use non-commercial license for our use-case.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2023

I am working on my own open source vps management panel. It won't be finished in at least 3-6 months, but once it's done, you could take a look at it.

Proxmox is also very good.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Proxmox as always.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

Proxmox is very simple and easy to get around imho

Then again, for someone who is not so familiar with server administration i guess it can be a bit daunting at first

Thanked by 2anbelevebel Not_Oles