Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is hetzner storage box reliable
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is hetzner storage box reliable

Hi
I am planning to buy hetzner storage box for backup purpose, Is it reliable? Or there any previous instance of harddisk failure ?

Comments

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

Personally I've never had an issue with them. I haven't heard of any data loss incident before. Googling only shows a single incident on their cloud drrcerd, as far I can find.

• LeviLevi Member

If you follow industry standard approach to bqckups: 3-2-1, than it does not matter where do you store your backups. Tou will still have source for restore.

• UmairUmair Member

@kathir said:
    Hi
    I am planning to buy hetzner storage box for backup purpose, Is it reliable? Or there any previous instance of harddisk failure ?

I have been also looking into that as a backup option. Do you get shell / root access to those??

Any ideas of the upload / download speed ?

I am guessing it's just storage so you can not install any tool there.

• @Umair said:

@kathir said:
    Hi

I have been also looking into that as a backup option. Do you get shell / root access to those??

Any ideas of the upload / download speed ?

I am guessing it's just storage so you can not install any tool there.

No shell/root access. Only storage as you can imagine. You simply receive credentials so you can mount the storage to your machine.

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2023

@Umair said: Any ideas of the upload / download speed ?

I think the servers have a shared 10Gbps connection. I have been able to consistently upload and download with above 150MB/s to the storage box. But it of course depends on peering and location.

• I don't use storage boxes at the moment but I have used them before for quite a while. Never had a problem and I even used them to stream media with Plex (servers and storage box were in the same Falkenstein DC)

• I found the network performance to be too low for my needs, so I canceled my service with them. I suggest you give them a try and see how well it works for you. Reliability seemed fine, but performance not for me.

• @LTniger said:
    If you follow industry standard approach to bqckups: 3-2-1, than it does not matter where do you store your backups. Tou will still have source for restore.

Can you elaborate?

• Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited March 2023

@jokesonyou said:

@LTniger said:

Can you elaborate?

He's just saying that no matter where you decide to store your files, if you follow the 3-2-1 rule, 3 copies of your data, at least 2 on a external+cloud provider and an offsite copy. It shouldn't matter if your disk fails because the odds of 3 disks failing simultaneously (different drives, locations, circumstances...) is astronomical.

Most people don't follow this rule either out of laziness or budgetary constraints, but it's what's considered "best practice" and you'd be able to keep on keepin' on if you have your backup strategy set up that way.

Whatever you do. Backup and TEST your backups. False sense of security turns into dread in an instant.

• @jokesonyou said:

@LTniger said:

Can you elaborate?

He means that you shouldn't rely on any one location/destination for your backups. So, even if the Hetzner storage were to fail, if you're following good backup practices, it won't matter, because you've got at least one (and better, several) backups elsewhere.

I understand why the OP wants to ask about reliability, but it's a bit like asking how reliable a certain hard drive is for backup use. Ultimately, the better question is not how reliable a specific provider or destination is, but how best to protect your own data. The answer to that is: don't put all your eggs in one basket.

So, don't concentrate so much on RAID levels, provider reliability, and so on. Instead, spread your backups among multiple providers at different locations, use more than one backup method, and ensure your automation has good error reporting so you know about failures.