Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do with this?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What to do with this?

chipchip Member
edited March 2023 in Help

Hi all,

I got this server to replace a storage server however .... its massively powered for my usage case (I'm using about 2gb ram and can under normal usage make it go to 1 on the 1. 4 on the 1 min load average) ... but i wanted the 4tb storage

What can I do/use to make the ram and processor more/better utilised?

Comments

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

install nextcloud

• chipchip Member

@BasToTheMax said:
    install nextcloud

I don't use nextcloud its got minio on it and rtinst (installs rtorrent, webgui, file manager, vsftpd etc) ... its actually also running zabbix server and mariadb .... still seems to be "mostly" idle though

• Holy smokes, just be thankful it's working!

Thanked by 1RapToN
  • chipchip Member

@scooke said:
    Holy smokes, just be thankful it's working!

Why? ... so far it actually seems really good

• @chip said:

@scooke said:
    Holy smokes, just be thankful it's working!

Why? ... so far it actually seems really good

Yeah, exactly. So why add anything more to it??

• If you don't know what do to with that server is means you don't need it.

• chipchip Member

@SirNeo said:
    If you don't know what do to with that server is means you don't need it.

I wanted it to replace a storage vps that was massively underperforming but I've gone from shared disks, ram,cpu to dedicated resources..... now I've got "too" much performance and spare ram and cpu cycles

• ralfralf Member

@chip said:

Don't worry about excess RAM, it'll just end up getting used as a disk cache.

• i don't think you're alone in this front.

@ralf said:

@chip said:

Don't worry about excess RAM, it'll just end up getting used as a disk cache.

unsure what storage setup you have, but there should be something you can manually allocate, say 512 MiB, for this purpose. At least in zfs.

• You could run a Tor relay if you have spare bandwidth and/or an ArchiveTeam Warrior to help with data archival projects that they do