Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planning to move to mailcow and selfhost the email for company
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Planning to move to mailcow and selfhost the email for company

Got couple of questions:

1. Have anyone used mailcow before? What is your experience?
  2. We are mainly using email to answer support tickets and receive invoices
  3. Any VPS recommendations with good IP's which will have better delivery? Perhaps specialized providers?

The only thing I am worried at the moment is delivery rates and what are the chances that our emails will end up in spam then our customers will contact us. Thanks <3

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

Self-host company email? Massive amateur overlooking.

1. Companies receive a lot more spam due to contact being public;
    2. Companies are target for malware, phishing, trojans etc,. via email;
    3. Eventually you will face unresolvable problems with delivery/receiving with major brangs: gmail, outlook etc.
    4. Waste of company time, employee time and eventually money due to lost orders.

Do not go this route. Just don't. Stop thinking about "maybe", you won't succeed. Spammers, scammers and big brands has more resources than you will ever have.

// uuuf, that was massive vent of negativity. But it is just true world experience.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2023

I've used Mailcow for a pretty long time now. Have it configured to route all outgoing mail through Amazon SES so I don't have to worry about IP rep. I previously used Rackspace Hosted Mail but wanted a more affordable solution to have an unlimited number of mailboxes (why pay $50-100/m when I can pay basically zero?) while having control over the data, since business emails can contain sensitive info. You can configure spam filters in the web UI, whitelist or blacklist, configure score settings, etc. The web UI is really great.

Mailcow has been 100% reliable and flawless since I started using it, I'd always recommend it compared to other (less open source) options. The Mailcow docker shit is super easy to get running. I'm pretty sure my uptime with my Mailcow instance on a VPS has higher uptime than hosted email services I've used as well.

• @LTniger said:
    Self-host company email? Massive amateur overlooking.

1. Companies receive a lot more spam due to contact being public;
    2. Companies are target for malware, phishing, trojans etc,. via email;
    3. Eventually you will face unresolvable problems with delivery/receiving with major brangs: gmail, outlook etc.
    4. Waste of company time, employee time and eventually money due to lost orders.

Do not go this route. Just don't. Stop thinking about "maybe", you won't succeed. Spammers, scammers and big brands has more resources than you will ever have.

// uuuf, that was massive vent of negativity. But it is just true world experience.

Totally understandable. At this point there is huge privacy reasons to move to the selfhosted solution and move the data to specific country. Otherwise we would stick to current provider just fine.

@MikeA said:
    I've used Mailcow for a pretty long time now. Have it configured to route all outgoing mail through Amazon SES so I don't have to worry about IP rep. I previously used Rackspace Hosted Mail but wanted a more affordable solution to have an unlimited number of mailboxes (why pay $50-100/m when I can pay basically zero?) while having control over the data, since business emails can contain sensitive info. You can configure spam filters in the web UI, whitelist or blacklist, configure score settings, etc. The web UI is really great.

Mailcow has been 100% reliable and flawless since I started using it, I'd always recommend it compared to other (less open source) options. The Mailcow docker shit is super easy to get running. I'm pretty sure my uptime with my Mailcow instance on a VPS has higher uptime than hosted email services I've used as well.

Glad to hear that it's working well. Thanks for the info. Will look into it.

• @MikeA said:

Btw, are you running mailcow with minimum 7GB ram? Or is this require only if you use AV scans?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@TheGreatOakley said:
    Btw, are you running mailcow with minimum 7GB ram? Or is this require only if you use AV scans?

It's in a 8GB RAM VM. Currently using 6.5GB everything enabled.

• digijdigij Member

@MikeA said:
    I've used Mailcow for a pretty long time now. Have it configured to route all outgoing mail through Amazon SES so I don't have to worry about IP rep.

Same setup here, running flawlessly for a couple of years already (small biz, about 50 mailboxes).

I would also prefer a hosted / managed solution for convenience / security / reliability. But we couldn't find one on the market that ticked all the boxes for our needs.

Thanked by 1TheGreatOakley
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@TheGreatOakley said:
    At this point there is huge privacy reasons to move to the selfhosted solution and move the data to specific country. Otherwise we would stick to current provider just fine.

Wait for @MannDude to release IncogMail.
    Unlike MXroute, he won't peek into your mail for dik pics.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • @yoursunny said:

@TheGreatOakley said:
    At this point there is huge privacy reasons to move to the selfhosted solution and move the data to specific country. Otherwise we would stick to current provider just fine.

dik picks safu

• I'm using Mailcow, works great. I did add Proxmox Mail Gateway behind it as it has a bit more features as far as anti-spam goes

Thanked by 1TheGreatOakley
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

@mike1s said:
    I'm using Mailcow, works great. I did add Proxmox Mail Gateway behind it as it has a bit more features as far as anti-spam goes

Behind or in front of?
    Think it's supposed to filter email first and then hand over to Mailcow.

Also, @TheGreatOakley as mentioned before, you can increase your delivery success by using providers such as Mail.baby, Amazon SES, Mailchannels etc, depending on your geography and amount of mail.

• @tomle said:

@mike1s said:
    I'm using Mailcow, works great. I did add Proxmox Mail Gateway behind it as it has a bit more features as far as anti-spam goes

Behind or in front of?
    Think it's supposed to filter email first and then hand over to Mailcow.

Yea that's what I meant.

• s12321s12321 Member
    edited April 2023

I tried Cowmail, it is good. I think it's possible, but not for a normal business model. it's too many stuffs need to take care of and it's not only email, such as security, co-working, uptime, risk and data management, record keeping, etc. Moreover, you need someone to look after all those.

Privacy is not a reason for self-host mail, boz another party may not host their mail privately.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@yoursunny said:

@TheGreatOakley said:

Haha.

We use MXRoute, and I use Protonmail for my custom me@my-domain email.

I have trust in that setup.

• @MannDude said:

@yoursunny said:

@TheGreatOakley said:

Haha.

We use MXRoute, and I use Protonmail for my custom me@my-domain email.

I have trust in that setup.

Why you don't selfhost? You have privacy centric solutions and I would not trust email to 3rd parties in your shoes.