Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for opinions on HetrixTools
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for opinions on HetrixTools

Hello LETers,

I have seen quite a few of you utilize HetrixTools and I was curious about how intrusive their agent is.

What is your use case? Do you use the agent to monitor your servers (virtual/bare metal)? Do you use it to monitor VPS nodes' health?

The more information you can share about your experience with HetrixTools the more helpful it is to me in making my decision to go with one of their paid plans and deploy the agent to monitor all the servers.

I guess the only downside to HetrixTools is its inability to monitor an ESX Host, or does the agent support VMware?

Cheers~

Comments

• plumbergplumberg Veteran
    edited March 2023

What's stopping you from checking out the free monitoring plan and see how much intrusive their agent is and if it's a good fit for you?

Everyone's use case is different.

Reach out to their support if you need clarification on a type of host.

• Their agent is just a shellscript so you can simply open it in an editor of your choice and read the code, just sign up for their free plan and test it yourself.

• Thanks folks. Appreciate it!

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited March 2023

https://github.com/hetrixtools/agent

This is the whole agent things - bash script(s) reading states and POSTing data.
    Runs from crontab every minute, POST data via wget. Can run as root or hetrixtools user - depends from your paranoia level :)
    If you want real time amazing stats you probably need to look at different solution.. if you want semi-real time basic stats then HT will work.

Thanked by 1DigitalFyre
  • ralfralf Member

The only problem is the spam in the log files from all the cron jobs.

• @JabJab said: If you want real time amazing stats you probably need to look at different solution.. if you want semi-real time basic stats then HT will work.

A different solution such as? I am open to suggestions.

• @ralf said: The only problem is the spam in the log files from all the cron jobs.

With HT? Yeah that can get annoying for sure

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited March 2023

@ralf said:
    The only problem is the spam in the log files from all the cron jobs.

You can easily filter logfiles, or in my case, I point HT to a dummy service or site on the same server to keep my logfiles clean as the driven snow. YMMV depending on what you need to specifically monitor.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

It's all about that Pushover support.

And about me leaving mildly unhelpful comments :joy:

Thanked by 3bdl DigitalFyre skorous