Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there is simple way in Linux to start application, in Virtual screen with different resolution
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there is simple way in Linux to start application, in Virtual screen with different resolution

This will be similar to virtualization, except it target is changing screen resolution only.

I want to start my application, e.g. web browser in different native resolution I don't mind connecting it via VNC or other remote service ,
I don't want to consume a lot of my laptop limited resources (~ 4GB of RAM).

Comments

• You can do using xvfb.

Thanked by 1JustPfff
  • JustPfffJustPfff Member
    edited March 2023

@farsighter said: using xvfb.

Thanks alot, I thinsk its goofd option, I m still reaing about it, I found this reference and this I run chromium using it, but I don't know how to connect to that virtual screen,

I don't want headless browser I want to access and use it, after created the virtual screen be able to control it like in vnc etc.

=Edit = I found solution in this answer https://stackoverflow.com/a/40678605/3019002

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited March 2023

@JustPfff said:

@farsighter said: using xvfb.

Thanks alot, I thinsk its goofd option, I m still reaing about it, I found this reference and this I run chromium using it, but I don't know how to connect to that virtual screen,

I don't want headless browser I want to access and use it, after created the virtual screen be able to control it like in vnc etc.

Just set up SSH X11 forwarding or use the $DISPLAY number of an existing VNC (for example) session in the xvfb-run command.

You can find many examples I tried it many years ago and forgot the exact syntax. Should be easy though..

Thanked by 1JustPfff