Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Hetzner terminate accounts after some time of inactivity?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does Hetzner terminate accounts after some time of inactivity?

Does anyone know? I am currently using Sever Factory for servers, and I am using Hetzner only for email hosting at the moment. But I just bought the Spring offer from MXRoute for email hosting, so that means that for now I won't be using Hetzner. But I am worried that they might terminate my several-years-old account due to inactivity, because it seems lots of people get rejected these days when creating new accounts.

Does anyone know if they keep inactive account and for how long? Thanks

Thanked by 1greentea

Comments

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

They terminate accounts after having $0.39 due and sending me to collections.

Thanked by 2greentea CheepCluck
  • They just deleted my account once. When I emailed support, they said make a new one. :D

• My question is assuming that there is no unpaid balance, of course.

• There was no unpaid balance in my case

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @bgerard said:
    They just deleted my account once. When I emailed support, they said make a new one. :D

Weird. Did you have problems creating the new one?

• @vitobotta said:

@bgerard said:
    They just deleted my account once. When I emailed support, they said make a new one. :D

Weird. Did you have problems creating the new one?

Honestly, I haven't bothered, it was hassle to create the first one so I just went elsewhere instead of creating it again.

• I added my empty Hetzner account to my list of bookmarks to login to every couple of months, and haven’t had it deleted in a couple of years

Thanked by 2alt_ nick_
  • alt_alt_ Member

@darkimmortal said:
    I added my empty Hetzner account to my list of bookmarks to login to every couple of months, and haven’t had it deleted in a couple of years

lol, use crontab next time :D

• @darkimmortal said:
    I added my empty Hetzner account to my list of bookmarks to login to every couple of months, and haven’t had it deleted in a couple of years

awesome thanks

• daffydaffy Member

I went years without using it, and not logging in and it was never deleted.

• No, unlike Contabo which will delete your account if you have no service with them.

• I received this a couple days ago:

Dear Mr XXXXX XXXXXX

It has been a long time since you have accessed your customer account (KXXXXXXXX) or since you have used any of our products and services.

If you would like to keep your account with us, please log into your account at https://accounts.hetzner.com.

Otherwise, we will delete/anonymize your account four weeks after sending this message. We will not be able to reactivate your account.

If you have forgotten your login details, please use the "Forgot password?" function.

Do you have any questions? If so, please reply directly to this email.

Best regards

Your Hetzner Online Team

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I wonder what the motivation is.

Obviously, not to save a few bytes of disk space.

Regulation requirement? Based in Germany, I'm sure they have Brussels as far up their ass as possible.

• I got banned from Hetzner after my account was inactive for like 6 months.

No balance due or anything. Tried to login and it wouldn't work, created a new account and found out I was banned for "reasons they could not share."

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@raindog308 said:

Regulation requirement? Based in Germany, I'm sure they have Brussels as far up their ass as possible.

I don't know when exactly, but after a certain period of dormancy, the GDPR would kick in, but I suspect that Hetzner is acting sooner than this

As for motivation, I guess that it makes sense for them to try to avoid having dormant accounts around in order to preempt possible compromising or sharing of these accounts

By the way, I was surprised to lose my original BuyVM account after a period of dormancy (a few years), so Hetzner isn't the only provider to close dormant accounts. (I have another BuyVM account now and am an active customer)

• @raindog308 said:

The GDPR legislation states that a business should keep information for “no longer than is necessary”.
    VAT legislation states that invoices must be stored for eight(DE)/ten(EU) years.
    In other words, it depends on what data is stored in the system.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • kasodkkasodk Barred
    edited March 2023

@vitobotta said:
    Does anyone know? I am currently using Sever Factory for servers, and I am using Hetzner only for email hosting at the moment. But I just bought the Spring offer from MXRoute for email hosting, so that means that for now I won't be using Hetzner. But I am worried that they might terminate my several-years-old account due to inactivity, because it seems lots of people get rejected these days when creating new accounts.

Does anyone know if they keep inactive account and for how long? Thanks

Read their privacy policy.

We delete all your registration data either: within 24 months, as soon as you delete your user account with us, or once the statutory retention period expires.

https://www.hetzner.com/legal/privacy-policy

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • jcolidelesjcolideles Member
    edited March 2023

I just received an email from them

Subject: Important client information: We will soon deactivate your account due to inactivity

Dear Mr [redacted]

It has been a long time since you have accessed your customer account (redacted) or since you have used any of our products and services.

If you would like to keep your account with us, please log into your account at https://accounts.hetzner.com.

Otherwise, we will delete/anonymize your account four weeks after sending this message. We will not be able to reactivate your account.

If you have forgotten your login details, please use the "Forgot password?" function.

Do you have any questions? If so, please reply directly to this email.

Best regards

Your Hetzner Online Team

Edit: I just started using their free dns service. Does it count as active product and services?

• I haven't had an issue with them and I login maybe once every 6 months to check if they have some interesting deal.
    Then again... I did have active servers with them and have a credit card on file.

• ouqouq Member

If it helps, I had my account deleted for inactive in June 2022 (having originally registered up around 2012), I then re-registered in Jan 2023 and had no issues setting up a new account and activating new services with them.