Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nextcloud instance advice
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nextcloud instance advice

I need a VPS for my Nextcloud instance with the following requirements:

-5 total users, including myself as admin.
-Currently 1 GB of documents and may reach 5-10 GB in the coming years.
-Document collaboration. Haven't decided yet on Collabora or OnlyOffice. We will have 2-3 users collaborating on a document at the same time.

The above are my only needs so no Talk, contacts, calendar, photos or anything else.

Based on the above, what are your recommendations for:

Number of cpu
RAM
Storage

Also, any VPS providers that you recommend for my use case?

I will be running Ubuntu Server 22.04

Thanks

Comments

• For the document editing you'll want a reasonable amount of RAM. Likely 1GB+ but 2GB would be better. 10GB of data, then you'll have file versions which can add ~30% so that's minimum 15GB for data plus the OS etc - I'd go for at least 30GB probably 40GB for don't space.

Nexcloud hogs resources, so minimum 2CPUs I think.

For the provider - look at where most of your users are and choose one there. If it's sensitive data, get another server to do backups or find a provider that does auto backups (not 100% guaranteed if the provider goes down).

Thanked by 1linuxkvm
  • Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited March 2023

On a budget:
    2 CPU
    2 GB Ram
    30-40 GB
    (Note: This may stutter with the office suite installed, especially with multiple collaborators)

To have it work smoothly
    4 CPU
    4 GB Ram
    30-40 GB

In addition to that, given how important the documents seem to be, I'd also look into a small storage VPS from a separate provider - back up your data with them and just in case things go south with your nextcloud instance, you'll have your data safe elsewhere.

Do you happen to have a budget in mind? There's a huge difference between 2 Ryzen cores and 2 i3 cores but with what you're doing, it likely wouldn't make any perceptible difference that would justify the higher premium.

I've only had one VPS with the latter specs through one company and although I don't have that server anymore (moved to a dedi), I still have about 10 servers with @ryanarp over at CatalystHost and it worked flawlessly on his setup for $10/mo

https://portal.catalysthost.com/index.php?rp=/store/promo

I've been with Catalysthost since 12/2016 and outside of some control panel glitches (that Ryan took care of swiftly) I've had zero downtime and everything "just works." Great guy, great service.

Thanked by 1linuxkvm
  • Do you happen to have a budget in mind? There's a huge difference between 2 Ryzen cores and 2 i3 cores but with what you're doing, it likely wouldn't make any perceptible difference that would justify the higher premium.

Budget is about $10-$15/month. That catalyst host deal looks great. Does KVM or OpenVZ matter in my case?

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

Have you checked https://www.hetzner.com/storage/storage-share

100% recommended one of my client is using it and totally satisficed with it.

Thanked by 1tedtomato
  • I echo @ManishPant 's suggestion. I'd go with Hetzner's storage share. Super cheap and you don't need to worry about maintaining it IF it's the only thing you would self host. I am self hosting Nextcloud just because I also self host a bunch of other stuff, but I have used Hetzner's Storage Share before and it was rock solid.

Thanked by 1tedtomato
  • @linuxkvm said:
    I need a VPS for my Nextcloud instance with the following requirements:

-5 total users, including myself as admin.
    -Currently 1 GB of documents and may reach 5-10 GB in the coming years.
    -Document collaboration. Haven't decided yet on Collabora or OnlyOffice. We will have 2-3 users collaborating on a document at the same time.

The above are my only needs so no Talk, contacts, calendar, photos or anything else.

Based on the above, what are your recommendations for:

Number of cpu
    RAM
    Storage

Also, any VPS providers that you recommend for my use case?

I will be running Ubuntu Server 22.04

Thanks

May as well go for Hetzner Storage Share, as you don't have special requirements. Running Nextcloud needs some good spec VPS

• I actually tried Hetzner with Nextcloud as you suggest about 3-4 years ago and I had a bad experience with them. Consistent issues and tech support was not very good.

I'm glad to hear some people have had a good experience with them but I would never use them again.

I can look into some other Nextcloud providers if anyone has any recommendations other than Hetzner.

• As noted above, I had a bad experience with Hetzner in the past. I just checked their TrustPilot reviews and they are at 2.9 out of 5. I had the same experience as many of the 1 start reviewers so this isn't an option for me.

• @linuxkvm said:
    As noted above, I had a bad experience with Hetzner in the past. I just checked their TrustPilot reviews and they are at 2.9 out of 5. I had the same experience as many of the 1 start reviewers so this isn't an option for me.

Maybe try again? It's a monthly payment so you don't have much to lose. I doubt TrustPilot reviews are about a specific product (Storage Share).

• take a look at https://liteserver.nl (company exists since 2007) location would be netherlands or https://www.ultravps.eu/en/ (part of providerdienste.de which exists since 1999) with multiple locations

liteserver has more modern hardware and nvme, ultravps is the only host here with bitrot-resistant zfs storage, based on smartos (illumos).

Thanked by 1UltraVPS
  • @tedtomato said: Maybe try again?

Hetzner is not a company I would ever do business with again. Once you get burned that badly, it's too hard to go back.

• @linuxkvm said:

@tedtomato said: Maybe try again?

Hetzner is not a company I would ever do business with again. Once you get burned that badly, it's too hard to go back.

I have used them several times without issues, whether it's a VPS, Storage Box or Storage Share. Many people are quite pleased with them.

You clearly have an issue with them...

• @linuxkvm said:

Do you happen to have a budget in mind? There's a huge difference between 2 Ryzen cores and 2 i3 cores but with what you're doing, it likely wouldn't make any perceptible difference that would justify the higher premium.

Budget is about $10-$15/month. That catalyst host deal looks great. Does KVM or OpenVZ matter in my case?

If it's strictly going to be a Nextcloud server, nope! If you were planning on having it non-public any only accessible via VPN of some sort, you'd run into issues with Wireguard (you'd have to use an alternative version that works with OpenVZ - OpenVPN would work as normal) but if not, nah, you'd never know the difference.

Thanked by 1linuxkvm
  • Honestly, maybe Pikapods is right up your alley. For 10 GB they'll come in a little over $3/month and you won't have to mess with much beyond managing NextCloud.

• Your username reminds me of someone.

• @TimRoo said:
    Honestly, maybe Pikapods is right up your alley. For 10 GB they'll come in a little over $3/month and you won't have to mess with much beyond managing NextCloud.

This almost looks too good to be true. I just set up a NextCloud instance and it's running fine.

Is there some kind of catch?

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • @linuxkvm said:

@TimRoo said:
    Honestly, maybe Pikapods is right up your alley. For 10 GB they'll come in a little over $3/month and you won't have to mess with much beyond managing NextCloud.

This almost looks too good to be true. I just set up a NextCloud instance and it's running fine.

Is there some kind of catch?

Not that I know of. That's their business model. I think the catch is you could do it yourself in a VPS for cheaper, but it's kind of like the MXRoute of self-hosting. Some control, but a lot of difficulty removed.