Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

US based Raspberry PI Colo (Poll) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

US based Raspberry PI Colo (Poll)

2»

Comments

• @VDS6 - I agree but you could say the same as those Atom servers that Delimiter has been selling for the last couple of weeks. 2GB RAM, 100GB disk and Atom 230 processor - its not bleeding edge kit but 400 units sold. So clearly there is a demand for a dedicated server even with low specs. At least you know that you have 100% of the low specs rather than 1% or less of a high spec machine when an abuser runs up some mining software on there

Thanked by 1iSky
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
    edited January 2014

If anyone is interested we'll colo a couple of these in Buffalo free. I'd be curious just to see one in person to be honest.

• @jbiloh said:
    If anyone is interested we'll colo a couple of these in Buffalo free. I'd be curious just to see one in person to be honest.

I'd definitely be interested. I'll even build a lego rack for you.

• @dedicados
    I was thinking the same solution with the legos hahaha

• The only downside to dedicated/colo raspberry pi is that they are so weak in comparison to solution that cost just a little more for end users.

• http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856164005
    3x the cost of a pi, 20X performance in serverbear.

• @MassNodes said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856164005
    3x the cost of a pi, 20X performance in serverbear.

How long did that take?

• @markturner how to subscribe this one ? i was fall in love with this idea. your last offer about the dedicated atom was very interested, however the price for $5/annually was make me sad. i don't really wanna have a very long term once payment. the longest i prefer maybe semi-annually. So, wanna wait for your idea about this

• @jbiloh said:

I have one, heck, help a brother out with travel and I can hand deliver it :D I'm in Ohio. What with all the offers you've made recently for people to visit

• @MarkTurner said:
    mitpatterson skagerrak pcan - I got approval to pilot this in Atlanta. The site manager is a bit of Raspberry PI aficionado so very interested to do something.

To make this fly, we need to be billing $5/month and will include 100Mbps port, 320GB traffic in the bundle.

You can't order this yet, it needs to be 'productised' but green light for a 12 month pilot.

I will update this thread once there is something concrete, but it will happen in Mid January I expect.

Keep us in the loop

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@jbiloh free for how long?

• c0yc0y Member

@MarkTurner said:
    VDS6 - I agree but you could say the same as those Atom servers that Delimiter has been selling for the last couple of weeks. 2GB RAM, 100GB disk and Atom 230 processor - its not bleeding edge kit but 400 units sold. So clearly there is a demand for a dedicated server even with low specs. At least you know that you have 100% of the low specs rather than 1% or less of a high spec machine when an abuser runs up some mining software on there

You clearly have never used an RPi. The processor is so slow, it cannot do much more than flip GPIO pins on and off. Furthermore, the hassle with ARM and SD cards is usually not worth it.

And as said before for $5/mo you can get a VPS with higher specs and better performance even if it's oversold to the worst. Except that with an RPi you pay a relatively large amount upfront and are the sole owner of your snail machine.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited January 2014

c0y said: The processor is so slow

The creators say the RPi is similar in overall performance to a 300mhz Pentium II, only with much, much swankier graphics.

• loydloyd Member
    edited January 2014

Interesting idea. Someone keeps claiming that RPI is less powerfull than usual VPS. Let's see:

Running the LAMP stack it is about 8.9x slower than laptop with i5 M430 2.27GHz and about 3.4x slower than Intel Pentium 4 3GHz (http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=24725).

From available CPU mark let's estimate 15 RPI deliver similar LAMP performance as my HP Proliant BL-460 dual Xeon 5150 blade, which needs approx 185W of idle power and at some point of time did cost from $2,949 brand new, without RAM.

A VPS resellers will put much more than 15x $5/m VPS-es on that blade.

RPI needs approx 2.2W, so 15x 2.2W = 33W and acquisition cost of brand new 15 RPI including RAM will be $525.

I think it's not less worthy than VPS and if someone comes up with inexpensive way to properly rack them, remote KVM, and deploy as many as needed on demand (cloud is a popular term), they could provide superior hosting solution to low-end VPS or shared.

Mark Turner, database will suck on RPI especially running from USB stick, here is an idea: pair a cluster of 40-60 maybe even more with a dedicated machine for DB/disk space. The RPI will boot from network. The I/O will not be that great, but better than running from USB stick and much easier to automate, switch O/S templates, etc. To keep power down, for example something like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182782, one LAN will go to RPIs, second out.

• MassNodesMassNodes Member
    edited January 2014

Unix Bench of one PI:

#    #  #    #  #  #    #          #####   ######  #    #   ####   #    #
       #    #  ##   #  #   #  #           #    #  #       ##   #  #    #  #    #
       #    #  # #  #  #    ##            #####   #####   # #  #  #       ######
       #    #  #  # #  #    ##            #    #  #       #  # #  #       #    #
       #    #  #   ##  #   #  #           #    #  #       #   ##  #    #  #    #
        ####   #    #  #  #    #          #####   ######  #    #   ####   #    #

Version 5.1.2                      Based on the Byte Magazine Unix Benchmark

Multi-CPU version                  Version 5 revisions by Ian Smith,
                                          Sunnyvale, CA, USA
       December 22, 2007                  johantheghost at yahoo period com

1 x Dhrystone 2 using register variables  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

1 x Double-Precision Whetstone  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

1 x Execl Throughput  1 2 3

1 x File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks  1 2 3

1 x File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks  1 2 3

1 x File Copy 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks  1 2 3

1 x Pipe Throughput  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

1 x Pipe-based Context Switching  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

1 x Process Creation  1 2 3

1 x System Call Overhead  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

1 x Shell Scripts (1 concurrent)  1 2 3

1 x Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)  1 2 3

========================================================================
       BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 5.1.2)

System: raspberrypi: GNU/Linux
       OS: GNU/Linux -- 3.6.11+ -- #474 PREEMPT Thu Jun 13 17:14:42 BST 2013
       Machine: armv6l (unknown)
       Language: en_US.utf8 (charmap="ANSI_X3.4-1968", collate="ANSI_X3.4-1968")
       07:15:39 up 11 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.13, 0.08, 0.05; runlevel 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Benchmark Run: Wed Dec 04 2013 07:15:39 - 07:43:57
    0 CPUs in system; running 1 parallel copy of tests

Dhrystone 2 using register variables        1690440.8 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)
    Double-Precision Whetstone                      270.6 MWIPS (10.1 s, 7 samples)
    Execl Throughput                                265.6 lps   (29.9 s, 2 samples)
    File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks         46065.3 KBps  (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks           14965.4 KBps  (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    File Copy 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks        104434.4 KBps  (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    Pipe Throughput                              181768.4 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)
    Pipe-based Context Switching                  25277.1 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)
    Process Creation                                857.7 lps   (30.0 s, 2 samples)
    Shell Scripts (1 concurrent)                    473.5 lpm   (60.1 s, 2 samples)
    Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                     60.4 lpm   (60.6 s, 2 samples)
    System Call Overhead                         377894.7 lps   (10.0 s, 7 samples)

System Benchmarks Index Values               BASELINE       RESULT    INDEX
    Dhrystone 2 using register variables         116700.0    1690440.8    144.9
    Double-Precision Whetstone                       55.0        270.6     49.2
    Execl Throughput                                 43.0        265.6     61.8
    File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks          3960.0      46065.3    116.3
    File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks            1655.0      14965.4     90.4
    File Copy 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks          5800.0     104434.4    180.1
    Pipe Throughput                               12440.0     181768.4    146.1
    Pipe-based Context Switching                   4000.0      25277.1     63.2
    Process Creation                                126.0        857.7     68.1
    Shell Scripts (1 concurrent)                     42.4        473.5    111.7
    Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                      6.0         60.4    100.7
    System Call Overhead                          15000.0     377894.7    251.9
                                                                       ========
    System Benchmarks Index Score                                         103.3
  • http://uptime.evoburst.com

Top one is an e3-1230
    Second is my RPi sitting behind my modem at home.

Both running the same OS, same configs (within reason) and both running the same scripts (currently crawling two sites for links) the e3 has 7 scripts running simultaneously. The RPi has 2. This includes 7 SQL queries per link find (so they are actually quite useful)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

so hosting a pi, should be cost lower then 5$?

• MassNodesMassNodes Member
    edited January 2014

@Infinity580 said:
    so hosting a pi, should be cost lower then 5$?

I would say around that ballpark depending on how much bandwidth you choose.
    For power usage I'm getting max .04A @115V.

• @VDS6 said: clients gets more resources with vps even though resources might be shared.

You are correct, but the storage of data on shared resources could be restricted by company policy, and, on legal standpoint, having the data on owned hardware is clearly the best option.

@MassNodes said: The only downside to dedicated/colo raspberry pi is that they are so weak in comparison to solution that cost just a little more for end users.

Raspberry Pi is actually the weakest ARM single board computer on the market. But it is
    still the cheapest, and it runs a tried and tested full Debian 7 port. Other solutions are far better on the hardware side, but runs a embedded Linux or Android distribution. Repositories are less complete and less stable for general purpose use. Rasperry Pi has a further big advantage: the Raspberry Pi foundation owns the intellectual proprerty of the platform and has a potent incentive to push it and keep it going. I am pretty sure that I will be able to purchase a RPI at least trough 2015. This is pretty rare for a solution priced at consumer electronics level.
    As a side note, according to a twit by Octave Klaba, OVH is conducting a internal alpha testing of the Intel Galileo board (the one with the new x86 Quark single core CPU), with
    a target price of 5 eur/month on Kimsufi brand. I looked at this board: the processor is standard and relatively powerful, but the system architecture is not IBM PC/AT compatible
    and it needs a custom kernel. At the present stage, it is totally experimental/unstable; the support forum/community is https://communities.intel.com/community/makers. The advantage is that the on-board auxiliary MCU can potentially be used as a sort of BMC controller, but we are far away from a finished product, and Intel commitment to the platform is unproven yet.

@loyd said: pair a cluster of 40-60 maybe even more with a dedicated machine for DB/disk space.

This defeats the purpose of a fully owned hardware. The usage case you describe is better served by a standard VPS.

To clarify the matter, I am not actually a "fan" of the Raspebby pi, but this device has come at the top of my list for a inexpensive stand-alone, general purpose, low-performance computing/storage/field interface node. The only readily available alternatives with comparable acquisition costs are: end-of-life enterprise hardware (unreliable and costly to operate), a few ARM or x86 embedded boards (with limited support), or single purpose, unflexible consumer-grade devices (such as single and dual-drive NAS).

To asses the stability of the platform, I deployed a dozen RPI a year ago; the pilot is on a HQ/brach offices scenario, where the RPI have replaced the previous server closet
    environement monitor system. A RPI is installed on each rack, the GPIO connected to two $1 temperature probes (one at the output of the HVAC unit, the other inside the rack). The monitoring application that logs the data on a mysql database has been created in a breeze because the OS is standard and no custom tool or developement system was required. RPI is also used as connectivity monitor/alerting system (nothing fancy, Debian built-in tools such as iperf and a few simple scripts) and as local repository for issues related to the service VLAN (backup repository for router/switch configurations etc). The OS is Debian, this way the security model is standard, well-known, and no proprietary tools are needed for the management. The system works so well, that is constantly expanding in scope and number of devices. RPI does also works fine as printer server.

The issues I encountered so far are:

• The onboard RPI power supply regulator is missing the low voltage detect circuit: after a power brown-out, RPI restart is not granted. I circumvented this issue by connecting the RPI power brick to the output of the enterprise UPS that serves the rack.

• I experienced two data corruption events on the SD card. This seems to be related to bad SD card make/model choice. Some SD cards are apparently not compatible with RPI; everything works fine until the RPI hangs at reboot after a apt-get upgrade. Fortunately, a SD card backup and restore is fast and easy.

• There has been a usb disk data corruption issue, now fully solved by the current RPI firmware.

• @MarkTurner Any more word on your Pi project? I was with EDIS for a year on my Pi. was good service. Not sure i'd sign up at $5 a month but am for sure interested to see this happen and perhaps get cheaper. i'd be on board for $2 a month, or even free to current clients?

Love my many Pi's. I have more then any one person should.

• @princeshoko give one to me! :-P
    i <3 RPi's :P

but i would be keen for a Pi @MarkTurner - Maybe around 2-4$ max. but probably with data of around 2-300gb.