Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

InterServer or Crunchbits for Proxmox Backup Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

InterServer or Crunchbits for Proxmox Backup Server

FrankRuanFrankRuan Member
edited March 2023 in Requests

Hi, I'm now looking for a machine that can run Proxmox Backup Server on it. Since both @interservermike and @crunchbits offer great deals, I'm now facing an issue.
Which one should I choose
InterServer 1 core, 2 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 10Gbps@fair usage, 3$/month with coupon
Crunchbits 1 core, 1 GB RAM, 7 GB SSD + 2 TB HDD, 1Gbps@6TB, 4.8$/month with coupon
EDIT: there is another choice, OVH Eco KS-1
4 cores Atom N2800, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 2 TB HDD, 100Mbps@unlimited, 6.1$/month in OVHcloud US

IMO, InterServer offers more RAM, but sucker CPU, and Crunchbits offers half of the RAM, but the included 7 GB SSD would be perfect for the OS...
I'm having a hard time, is anyone who can help me?

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

If it’s just for a backup server, then why would the specs matter too much?

Thanked by 1bdl
  • @bruh21 said:
    If it’s just for a backup server, then why would the specs matter too much?

It seems that PBS will do verification and compression in the background so...

• Do you need 1TB or 2TB? Are they both RAID10/5/whatever (apples to apples)?

• Crunchbits seems to offer a 3-day money back guarantee. Doesn't seem like InterServer does refunds on VPS?

So try Crunchbits for 3 days and re-evaluate then. Be sure to enable swap on the SSD if you can.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

CrunchBits is a good provider, and although I've never used any of InterServer's hosting related services, they run Mail.Baby which I love so I'd trust them to provide a solid service as well.

• @tetech said:
    Do you need 1TB or 2TB? Are they both RAID10/5/whatever (apples to apples)?

Seems both of them are RAID 10

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Don't forget that OVH has pretty old disks on those servers, so I'd rule them out (also, no protection with RAID or anything on those).

Regarding crunchbits vs. interserver, it's your choice and your needs; we (crunch bits) offer more disk space, SSD included, but are a little bit more expensive, and provide less bandwidth and less RAM, so I'd record to look at your needs.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@FrankRuan said:

@tetech said:

We are RAID6 HDD with dedicated RAM and SSD caching on the HDD array. The RAM is also double what’s listed on the website currently. I.e 1 core 2GB ram. There is also a no questions 3-day money back, just open a ticket and it will be processed. Helpful for us if you have useful feedback too, but it’s not required.

That being said Interserver seems very solid as well. I’m not sure if their storage is located on the west coast or not but that would really be the other big differentiator: western USA versus eastern USA for your use case. Either way you can’t go wrong, @interservermike is proven.

Thanked by 2greentea maverick
  • @crunchbits said:

@FrankRuan said:

@tetech said:

We are RAID6 HDD with dedicated RAM and SSD caching on the HDD array. The RAM is also double what’s listed on the website currently. I.e 1 core 2GB ram. There is also a no questions 3-day money back, just open a ticket and it will be processed. Helpful for us if you have useful feedback too, but it’s not required.

That being said Interserver seems very solid as well. I’m not sure if their storage is located on the west coast or not but that would really be the other big differentiator: western USA versus eastern USA for your use case. Either way you can’t go wrong, @interservermike is proven.

They are based in New Jersey.
    By the way, could you please restock it? I will try that out.

Thanked by 1greentea

@FrankRuan said:

@crunchbits said:

@FrankRuan said:

@tetech said:

They are, restocked a very large amount last night.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @crunchbits said:

@FrankRuan said:

@crunchbits said:

@FrankRuan said:

@tetech said:

Yes, just purchased one, invoice #3062.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @crunchbits said:

@FrankRuan said:

@crunchbits said:

@FrankRuan said:

@tetech said:

By the way, do you offer custom ISO & VNC connection? I need it to finalize my installation, already have a ticket opened.

• I prefer to have PBS in a very closest location to minimize the latency. Not in the same DC but closest one to the main Proxmox node

@FrankRuan said:

@crunchbits said:

@FrankRuan said:

@crunchbits said:

@FrankRuan said:

@tetech said:

By the way, do you offer custom ISO & VNC connection? I need it to finalize my installation, already have a ticket opened.

We do. Custom ISO's require a ticket, but once cleared and uploaded they're available freely. Many are already available (not counting our default cloud images).

VNC is freely available on demand from your control panel.

• Crunchbits is best. I've used them. they're rock solid and VPS node uptime are excellent. Though HDD, they're fast. Not big issue for my storage needs.

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

PBS uses around 8 GB of RAM.

• @Shakib said:
    PBS uses around 8 GB of RAM.

Holy 🙄
    I'm just light use, I don't need that much.
    It utilizes around 300 MB when there's one task running

• amarcamarc Veteran

Can someone share @crunchbits coupon code ?

Thanked by 1ipguru
  • @amarc said:
    Can someone share @crunchbits coupon code ?

CHOKEMYDISK

Thanked by 1zan
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

I've got PBS running ok on a HostHatch storage node with 1 vCPU.
    The issue is going to be IOPS, verification takes hours. Not sure if they throttle me but I don't mind and I guess it would be fair. I've also limited the sync bandwidth to 5 MiB/s, otherwise IO delay and CPU utilization spike.
    Proxmox recommend running SSD for datastores but it works ok with HDD as well.