Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Dedi in Los Angeles, 5x IPv4 + IPv6 Block, 16GB Ram, ~500GB to 1TB storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Dedi in Los Angeles, 5x IPv4 + IPv6 Block, 16GB Ram, ~500GB to 1TB storage

mikey_2816781mikey_2816781 Member
edited March 2023 in Requests

Hello all,

I'm looking for an affordable dedicated server in the Los Angeles area. I need bare metal, as my CPU usage tends to be high (no crypto mining but I run services that tend to hog the CPU). At least 16GB ram and 500GB storage (preferably 1TB). Bandwidth requirements aren't super high, so a gigabit line would be fine.

I need about 5x IPv4 and an IPv6 block, as I intend to make some KVM VMs to run inside the machine. I'm not a reseller, just a hobbyist.

I actually found a great deal recently and signed up, but the system they use to allow me access to the bare metal system is abysmal and I haven't gotten it to work yet - it requires Java in the browser (eek) and probably a much older version than I have installed because it only crashes and doesn't actually connect. I'm going to keep trying with this provider for a bit but they're already showing signs of not caring whether it works on my end, so I may need to leave soon.

EDIT: I believe the issue with my current host is the machine they gave me (or its firmware) is so old that it doesn't support the HTML5 based KVM Console. I'd be happy with any host that could provide a machine that worked with that.

Comments

• 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

Budget?
    Does it have to be LA, or would you accept nearby locations?

• @1gservers said:
    Budget?

I'm okay with nearby locations, but still fairly close to LA since I'll be the primary user of everything and I'd like good latency.

Budget under $100/month or best offer, probably.

• 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

@mikey_2816781 said:

@1gservers said:
    Budget?

I'm okay with nearby locations, but still fairly close to LA since I'll be the primary user of everything and I'd like good latency.

We have good latency to LA. You can test our network here:
    https://1gservers.com/network.html

We have this server available:

• Dual E5-2690v4
    • 64GB DDR4 RAM
    • 2TB SATA SSD
    • 1gbps unmetered
    • $99/mo
    • Signup link here

This server is probably more horse power than you're looking for, but it has the more modern Supermicro IPMI interface with the HTML5 KVM that doesn't require Java.

I'm happy to include for free a /29 subnet for you along with a /64 IPv6 Just PM me with your order number.

Thanked by 1mikey_2816781
  • @1gservers said:

@mikey_2816781 said:

@1gservers said:
    Budget?

We have good latency to LA. You can test our network here:
    https://1gservers.com/network.html

We have this server available:

• Dual E5-2690v4
    • 64GB DDR4 RAM
    • 2TB SATA SSD
    • 1gbps unmetered
    • $99/mo
    • Signup link here

This server is probably more horse power than you're looking for, but it has the more modern Supermicro IPMI interface with the HTML5 KVM that doesn't require Java.

I'm happy to include for free a /29 subnet for you along with a /64 IPv6 Just PM me with your order number.

That sounds good. Would you mine PM'ing emailing me first? I'd like to get all the details handled before committing to my first payment.

• I would look at ReliableSite @MrRadic ,Psychz, @GTHost

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@mikey_2816781 said:
    EDIT: I believe the issue with my current host is the machine they gave me (or its firmware) is so old that it doesn't support the HTML5 based KVM Console. I'd be happy with any host that could provide a machine that worked with that.

Not necessarily an issue with your current host, could just be the age of the server you purchased. Java based KVM was the norm up until a few years ago. You'll need a newer server if you want HTML5 based KVM.

• @concept said:
    I would look at ReliableSite @MrRadic ,Psychz, @GTHost

Thank you for these suggestions. I was a hair away from choosing ReliableSite and it seemed like a really good deal. I chose the other vendor because I needed a quick response about IPv6 allocations at the time.

• @MrRadic said:

@mikey_2816781 said:

Not necessarily an issue with your current host, could just be the age of the server you purchased. Java based KVM was the norm up until a few years ago. You'll need a newer server if you want HTML5 based KVM.

I appreciate your feedback. I just had this conversation with my host a few hours ago and this is exactly correct. I could either increase my budget to get an HTML5 board or just .... do what I did all day long and install every java version known to man until one worked, in a throwaway VM.

@Everyone: I'm no longer in the market for a dedi (resolved due to the above), but I'll keep this thread bookmarked if I ever need to switch or buy more.

• @mikey_2816781 said: do what I did all day long and install every java version known to man until one worked, in a throwaway VM.

Pretty much the only way around this, glad you installed it on a VM lol.