Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How BGP Session works !
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How BGP Session works !

bikramabikrama Member
edited March 2023 in Help

Hello,
I am complete NEW to BGP session and have been learning and trying to figure out how make it work.

My use case will be trying to do BGP session for /48 IPv6 on a VPS. I have RIPE account with org, Abuse handler, mntner created.

I have purchased a /48 IPv6 range from freerangecloud, They Provided me with LOA and other things need. And now i want to use that range with any 3rd party VPS provider that allow BGP session.

I have updated there ASN in the prefix as provided by the VPS provider to announce BGP, But did not make new IPv6 range work on there VPS.

Some ask me get "IP transit" ,"IP peering" and some told me that they don't announce IP on there router and need to route my self.

Not sure how this stuff works correctly. If anyone can explain me the complete process start from "Purchase IP to make it working on Ubuntu server".

Thank you.

Comments

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

Get a VPS from a provider who allow BGP Session Like Buyvm, iFog, Vultr etc also checkout bgp.services for the list of provider.

Checkout Bird , Pathvector or Quagga to see how it works.

IP transit , IP Peering is different thing and it depend upon your use case what you want to do ?

• @ManishPant Thank you for responding.
    This are steps i have done

• Bought a subnet
    • Bought a VPS from a provider that allow bgp

I want to use the newly purchased subnet in my vps.

Do i need to install bird on same vps in which i want to use subnet or i can do something like

use racknerd vps to install bird and use subnet in buyvm?

As i have explained my usecase what do i need ip transit or ip peering or none are needed.

I am confused.

edited March 2023

@bikrama said:
    @ManishPant Thank you for responding.
    This are steps i have done

• Bought a subnet

That mean you have ASN too right ?

• Bought a VPS from a provider that allow bgp

If it's Buvym then you have to activate your bgp session by opening a support ticket and providing ASN number. After getting it activated you have to assign Ipv6 to your VM through their stallion and Install bird and configure it. BGP Details are also available in Stallion under networking tab.

I want to use the newly purchased subnet in my vps.

Once the ASN is activated in stallion you can see your IP subnet which you have bought from freerangecloud

Do i need to install bird on same vps in which i want to use subnet or i can do something like

use racknerd vps to install bird and use subnet in buyvm?

Install bird only on buyvm or which have bgp session. If you want to use the IP from your subnet in racknerd vps then you have to tunnel it through GRE/SIT.

As i have explained my usecase what do i need ip transit or ip peering or none are needed
    I am confused.

I am also not a master in BGP or IPv6 same like you learning from here and there.

Thanked by 1Hayashima
  • If you just want to announce your prefixes then you need peering. If you want to actually use the IPs, then you need transit.

(well thats what august told me idk)

• VirturyVirtury Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2023

@bikrama said:

My use case will be trying to do BGP session for /48 IPv6 on a VPS. I have RIPE account with org, Abuse handler, mntner created.
    I have purchased a /48 IPv6 range from freerangecloud, They Provided me with LOA and other things need. And now i want to use that range with any 3rd party VPS provider that allow BGP session.

Great! You're on the right track. I'd like to point out that you do not need a BGP Session to simply use the IP Addresses. You can ask your provider to announce the IPs for you.

I have updated there ASN in the prefix as provided by the VPS provider to announce BGP, But did not make new IPv6 range work on there VPS.

Can you please elaborate what you mean by "their ASN"? Normally when you want to announce IP Subnets via BGP, you need your own ASN (or you could use a private ASN, if you don't have an ASN let me know and I'll elaborate on this further).

Some ask me get "IP transit" ,"IP peering" and some told me that they don't announce IP on there router and need to route my self.

Getting a BGP Session from a VPS Provider is technically IP Transit. Peering is a term used for when two ISPs exchange traffic with one another (usually free of cost), which I assume does not apply to you.

Not sure how this stuff works correctly. If anyone can explain me the complete process start from "Purchase IP to make it working on Ubuntu server".

So there are 2 ways you can do this. You can setup a BGP Session and announce them yourself or get your provider announce them for you (in that case you do not need a BGP session). If you'd like to go the setting up a BGP session route, this is how its going to look like.

1) Acquire IP Block(s) from an RIR (RIPE/ARIN/APNIC etc) or from a provider, which seems to be your case.

2) Find yourself a provider that allows BYOIP (Bring Your Own IP) and a BGP Session.

3) Make sure route records (ROA/RPKI) is set to the ASN you want to announce your IP Space from (This can be done for you by the range provider, freerangecloud in your case or if you have your own IP Space from an RIR, this can be done from their portal).

4) Submit the LOA to your provider and ask them to setup a BGP Session (They may/will ask you for your ASN).

5) Setup BIRD/Quagga on your Ubuntu system.

6) Use the appropriate configuration to setup the BGP Session.

7) Add the prefix to the BGP Announcement using BIRD/Quagga.

8) Add the IPs to the interface (ip addr add ....) and you should be good to go.

I'd like to point out one more time (since you mentioned "Purchase IP to make it working on Ubuntu server") that if you simply want to use the IP Addresses and not worry about BGP Routing yourself, you can simply ask your provider to announce the space for you and route it to your server. That way, you should be able to begin using your IP Addresses right away.

Thanked by 1Hayashima
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

People should really go to dn42 to try this first, use it as a playground to get your config right, learn bird etc.

• @ManishPant said: That mean you have ASN too right ?

>
    No, I don't have a ASN Yet, I want to assign the subnet to the VPS Provider ASN or a Private ASN provided by them.

@ManishPant said: I am also not a master in BGP or IPv6 same like you learning from here and there.

>
    Thank you for trying to answer, I will write a detail blog and step by step process after get success, As there is no clear data or explain document available in internet to help newbies.

Thanked by 1Hayashima
  • @Virtury said: Can you please elaborate what you mean by "their ASN"? Normally when you want to announce IP Subnets via BGP, you need your own ASN (or you could use a private ASN, if you don't have an ASN let me know and I'll elaborate on this further).

want to assign on there ASN or if they provide private ASN.

@Virtury said: 5) Setup BIRD/Quagga on your Ubuntu system.

Do you have a config or code that i need to do in "BIRD" to make things work?

@Virtury said: that if you simply want to use the IP Addresses and not worry about BGP Routing yourself, you can simply ask your provider to announce the space for you and route it to your server. That way, you should be able to begin using your IP Addresses right away.

That would be really so good, I have contacted 3-4 provider they all want me to do BIRD and go with long process instead of making things simple and work direct.

Also Thank you @Virtury for giving me details explain.

@bikrama said:

@ManishPant said: That mean you have ASN too right ?

>
    No, I don't have a ASN Yet, I want to assign the subnet to the VPS Provider ASN or a Private ASN provided by them.

If you want your own ASN then you can have it from cloudie.sh. Its just $35 one-time fees.

or

If you want to assign the subnet to a VPS Provider ASN then go with a provider who can announce it for you then you don't have to play with Bird or do any setting , everything will be done by your provider you have to just give them the LOA.

@ManishPant said: I am also not a master in BGP or IPv6 same like you learning from here and there.

>
    Thank you for trying to answer, I will write a detail blog and step by step process after get success, As there is no clear data or explain document available in internet to help newbies.

>
    If you need a bird config i can give you just pm me.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

Did you ask buyvm or your provider?

If you want to learn, again I ask you to go to dn42.eu and learn there, the community is great and there is lots of documentation.

• bikramabikrama Member
    edited March 2023

@ManishPant said: If you want your own ASN then you can have it from cloudie.sh. Its just $35 one-time fees.

>
    Thank you for the HeadsUp, What is the benefit of getting a self ASN vs using the provider ASN to announce IPs?

@ManishPant said: If you need a bird config i can give you just pm me.

>
    It would be helpfull.

@tomle said: Did you ask buyvm or your provider?

I do have asked buyvm they told me that, They are not going to announce subnet on their router and i have to do myself.

@tomle said: If you want to learn, again I ask you to go to dn42.eu and learn there, the community is great and there is lots of documentation.

>
    Thank you, I am checking it.

• I've only learnt the principles of BGP but haven't had any chance yet to go live with it, but I was curious to challenge ChatGPT with your post to see how good it is.
    It gave a nice answer but since length exceeded it halted just before the end with a 'network error'. Still not bad:

Sure, I can help you with that!

The process of getting your /48 IPv6 range to work on your VPS involves a few different steps. Here is a high-level overview of what you'll need to do:

Choose a VPS provider that supports BGP sessions: You mentioned that you have already done this, but it's important to make sure that the provider you choose supports BGP and allows you to establish a BGP session with them. You'll also need to make sure that they support IPv6, as not all VPS providers do.

Configure BGP on your VPS: Once you have chosen a VPS provider, you'll need to configure BGP on your VPS. This will involve setting up a BGP daemon (such as Quagga or Bird) and configuring it to establish a BGP session with your VPS provider's router. Your VPS provider should provide you with the IP address of their router and the BGP ASN that you should use when configuring your BGP daemon.

Advertise your IPv6 range via BGP: Once you have established a BGP session with your VPS provider's router, you'll need to advertise your /48 IPv6 range via BGP. This will allow other networks on the internet to learn about your IPv6 range and route traffic to it. You'll need to configure your BGP daemon to announce your IPv6 prefix to your VPS provider's router.

Configure routing on your VPS: Once your VPS provider's router is aware of your IPv6 prefix, you'll need to configure routing on your VPS to actually use the IPv6 addresses in your prefix. This will typically involve assigning IPv6 addresses from your prefix to your network interfaces on your VPS.

Now, let's dive into each of these steps in a bit more detail:

Step 1: Choose a VPS provider that supports BGP sessions

You mentioned that you have already chosen a VPS provider that supports BGP sessions, so I won't go into too much detail here. Just make sure that the provider you choose supports BGP and IPv6.

Step 2: Configure BGP on your VPS

To configure BGP on your VPS, you'll need to choose a BGP daemon to use and configure it appropriately. There are several different BGP daemons to choose from, but two popular ones are Quagga and Bird.

Here are some general steps to follow to configure BGP on your VPS:

Install the BGP daemon: You'll need to install the BGP daemon on your VPS. This will typically involve using your package manager (e.g. apt-get or yum) to install the appropriate package.

Configure the BGP daemon: Once the BGP daemon is installed, you'll need to configure it appropriately. This will involve editing a configuration file (e.g. /etc/quagga/bgpd.conf or /etc/bird/bird.conf) to specify your BGP configuration. Here are some things you'll need to specify:

The BGP ASN that you're using (provided by your VPS provider)
    The IP address of your VPS provider's BGP router
    The IPv6 prefix that you want to advertise (e.g. your /48 IPv6 range)
    Start the
    (network error)

I guess you can split and focus your question and take it from there.

• @farsighter said:
    I've only learnt the principles of BGP but haven't had any chance yet to go live with it, but I was curious to challenge ChatGPT with your post to see how good it is.
    It gave a nice answer but since length exceeded it halted just before the end with a 'network error'. Still not bad:

Sure, I can help you with that!

The process of getting your /48 IPv6 range to work on your VPS involves a few different steps. Here is a high-level overview of what you'll need to do:

Choose a VPS provider that supports BGP sessions: You mentioned that you have already done this, but it's important to make sure that the provider you choose supports BGP and allows you to establish a BGP session with them. You'll also need to make sure that they support IPv6, as not all VPS providers do.

Configure BGP on your VPS: Once you have chosen a VPS provider, you'll need to configure BGP on your VPS. This will involve setting up a BGP daemon (such as Quagga or Bird) and configuring it to establish a BGP session with your VPS provider's router. Your VPS provider should provide you with the IP address of their router and the BGP ASN that you should use when configuring your BGP daemon.

Advertise your IPv6 range via BGP: Once you have established a BGP session with your VPS provider's router, you'll need to advertise your /48 IPv6 range via BGP. This will allow other networks on the internet to learn about your IPv6 range and route traffic to it. You'll need to configure your BGP daemon to announce your IPv6 prefix to your VPS provider's router.

Configure routing on your VPS: Once your VPS provider's router is aware of your IPv6 prefix, you'll need to configure routing on your VPS to actually use the IPv6 addresses in your prefix. This will typically involve assigning IPv6 addresses from your prefix to your network interfaces on your VPS.

Now, let's dive into each of these steps in a bit more detail:

Step 1: Choose a VPS provider that supports BGP sessions

You mentioned that you have already chosen a VPS provider that supports BGP sessions, so I won't go into too much detail here. Just make sure that the provider you choose supports BGP and IPv6.

Step 2: Configure BGP on your VPS

To configure BGP on your VPS, you'll need to choose a BGP daemon to use and configure it appropriately. There are several different BGP daemons to choose from, but two popular ones are Quagga and Bird.

Here are some general steps to follow to configure BGP on your VPS:

Install the BGP daemon: You'll need to install the BGP daemon on your VPS. This will typically involve using your package manager (e.g. apt-get or yum) to install the appropriate package.

Configure the BGP daemon: Once the BGP daemon is installed, you'll need to configure it appropriately. This will involve editing a configuration file (e.g. /etc/quagga/bgpd.conf or /etc/bird/bird.conf) to specify your BGP configuration. Here are some things you'll need to specify:

The BGP ASN that you're using (provided by your VPS provider)
    The IP address of your VPS provider's BGP router
    The IPv6 prefix that you want to advertise (e.g. your /48 IPv6 range)
    Start the
    (network error)

I guess you can split and focus your question and take it from there.

ChatGPT is really shitty with Bird configs.
    Please refrain from using ChatGPT for anything BGP related.