Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does latest WordPress support PHP8.2?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does latest WordPress support PHP8.2?

pkrpkr Member

I want to migrate my website (based on WordPress 6.2) to PHP 8.2. But this page https://make.wordpress.org/core/handbook/references/php-compatibility-and-wordpress-versions/ says "beta support" for PHP 8.2. Is it safe to migrate?

I use only a few plugins: RankMath, WP-Optimize, and Akismet Anti-Spam.

Comments

• adnsadns Member

Try it in a test environment. I manage two WP sites, a webshop and an other site where owners blogging, customers can booking and get other informations. On PHP 8.2 the core Wp drops a lots of deprecated warnings that currently not means a problem, but in the plugins we have serious problems. Currently we're staying on PHP 8.1 which is quite stable for our requirements and try to move all sites from PHP7.4 to PHP8 but it is hard because a few WP extension not works well under PHP 8.0 or 8.1. I can do smaller changes for our local environment but I can not fix complex, unmaintained projects.

So I suggest that try it but do not force the update because PHP 8.0 and 8.1 still supported.

• I tried 8.2 and was unable to log in to WP-admin, so reverted to 8.1.

Thanked by 1pkr
  • gianggiang Veteran

@pkr said:
    I want to migrate my website (based on WordPress 6.2) to PHP 8.2. But this page https://make.wordpress.org/core/handbook/references/php-compatibility-and-wordpress-versions/ says "beta support" for PHP 8.2. Is it safe to migrate?

I use only a few plugins: RankMath, WP-Optimize, and Akismet Anti-Spam.

You will also need to check plugin compatible too. As far as I know, they will need a lot of time to adapt new PHP version, even after Wordpress fully support.

Thanked by 1pkr
  • Currently i am using 8.2 in one site, it is working fine for me.

Thanked by 1pkr
  • Wordpress is always up to date.

Thanked by 1pkr
  • fiendfiend Member

Its beta so i would stay on 8.1, not so much because of wp more you need time for themes and plugins to come up and i still have a couple of wp sites on 7.4, because some plugins and themes... still are not up... oh well :neutral:

Thanked by 1pkr
  • HostWildHostWild Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2023

Hello! @pkr :)
    Currently PHP 7.4 is ideal for WordPress.

Thanked by 1pkr
  • tuctuc Member

@HostWild said:
    Hello! @pkr :)
    Currently PHP 7.4 is ideal for WordPress.

for most of WP plugins. WP works with php8.2 just fine.

Thanked by 1pkr
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited March 2023

In Plesk PHP 8.2 AVIF is/was broken, because they didnt include module for it. In PHP 8.1 AVIF is working.

Its the only problem I noticed with migrating over to PHP 8.2 multiple of sites, but after problem with Plesk on one of my clients site I didnt upgrade many servers to 8.2 so maybe there are additional problems. Also I saw thread about PHP 8.2 memory leak on LET.

8.1 is fine for now, no need to be a beta tester for 8.2.

Thanked by 1pkr
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

It completely messed up one of my sites and I reverted to a snapshot. Using it just because it's there isn't always prudent.

Thanked by 2bruh21 pkr
  • It's important to note that while PHP 8.2 is currently in beta, the WordPress core team has announced that they are working on full compatibility with PHP 8.2, and the latest version of WordPress (6.2) is already compatible with PHP 8.0 and 8.1.

However, it's always a good idea to proceed with caution when migrating to a new version of PHP. Some plugins and themes may not be compatible with the new version, which could cause errors or even break your site.

In your case, since you are only using a few plugins, it's a good idea to check with the plugin developers to make sure they are compatible with PHP 8.2. RankMath and WP-Optimize are both listed as compatible with PHP 8.0 and 8.1 on their respective WordPress plugin pages, but it's always possible that there could be issues with the latest version.

Before you migrate to PHP 8.2, I would recommend creating a backup of your website, testing your plugins and theme on a staging site, and reviewing the error logs to ensure that everything is working as expected. Additionally, you may want to consider consulting with a developer or technical expert to ensure a smooth transition.

Thanked by 1pkr