Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Installing Proxmox VE on Oracle Cloud (Ampere instance)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Installing Proxmox VE on Oracle Cloud (Ampere instance)

I don't know if this can be posted, if not, admin can close the thread anytime.

Why

Oracle Cloud offers free ARM instance for free, and the setup can be up to 4 cores and 24 GB RAM. That would be good for virtualization.
Since Proxmox VE doesn't provide official guide and prebuilt binaries for aarch64 architecture, we have to compile them ourselves.
I borrowed the code from the GitHub project Pimox (which is used to install Proxmox onto a raspberry pi)

How

For detailed guide, please visit my website https://frank-ruan.com/2023/03/18/installing-proxmox-ve-on-oci/

PS: Oracle Cloud doesn't enable nested virtualization, so CT/LXC is the only choice.
PPS: This is just a installation guide, it doesn't include the tutorial to configure network bridge etc. But normal configuration would be perfectly fine.

Thanked by 3ElonBezos Void mlin

Comments

• minlearnminlearn Member
    edited April 2023

in fact,it is as easy as typing a single oneliner command in the ssh:

wget -qO- 1keydd.com/inst.sh|bash -s - -t devdeskos

Thanked by 1eliphas
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@minlearn said:

Explain what the script does? Does it have any official page or something to verify on? No one is gonna run shell scripts posted on the internet, especially in low end forums.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@FatGrizzly said: No one is gonna run shell scripts posted on the internet

Right... And then you come back to reality.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said:

Haha. Gotta make something look real or something, these days bitcoin miners are often hid in scripts.

I meant internet forums, autocorrect corrected my correct phrase.

I can't really remember what script was run, but it was something related to oracle databases and stuff, the on premises server in my dad's office was compromised with full of Bitcoin miners. Wasn't fun auditing and removing the miners, it replaced several daily-use binaries with malware. I think the sys there went for a full reinstall.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @FatGrizzly said:

@Maounique said:

Haha. Gotta make something look real or something, these days bitcoin miners are often hid in scripts.

I meant internet forums, autocorrect corrected my correct phrase.

I can't really remember what script was run, but it was something related to oracle databases and stuff, the on premises server in my dad's office was compromised with full of Bitcoin miners. Wasn't fun auditing and removing the miners, it replaced several daily-use binaries with malware. I think the sys there went for a full reinstall.

This guy is infamously known in the Hostloc forum, don't trust him. Search '5k' on that forum.

• @FatGrizzly said:

@minlearn said:

Explain what the script does? Does it have any official page or something to verify on? No one is gonna run shell scripts posted on the internet, especially in low end forums.

take it easy, just reinstall your vps after finishing try it