Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How often do you maintain/update/patch your servers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How often do you maintain/update/patch your servers?

2»

Comments

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

We usualy update each 3 months, always current version -1

Software Update:
    Servers N-1/ 3months
    Routers N-1/3 months
    Switches not really, as updates really give improvements, only compatibility issues are solved mainly, and we have no problems on that

Firmware:

as frequent as possible.

Server restart, only if necessary, otherwise no.

Uptime:

we have some vMware at 700+ days
    Proxmox at 200-400+ days
    Hyper-v at usually max of 300 days, they relay suck.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @jlet88 said:
    1 - Not including options like unattended-upgrade, how often do you maintain/update/patch your servers?

2 - Not including kernel updates, how often do you reboot your servers?

3 - Bonus question for the brave: Confession time: What is the longest you've gone without updating/patching a server?

Regular maintenance and updates of servers are important to ensure optimal security and performance. I usually schedule server maintenance tasks, such as updates and patches, on a monthly basis to keep the servers up to date.

Regarding server reboots, I typically schedule them during off-hours or low-traffic periods to minimize any potential downtime or user disruption. The frequency of reboots depends on the specific needs of the system, but I usually schedule them on a monthly or bi-monthly basis.

As for the longest time I've gone without updating or patching a server, I cannot recall a specific instance as I prioritize maintaining security and performance on all systems under my responsibility.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • cpsdcpsd Member

I don't feel comfortable installing system updates in production servers.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • vbavba Member

Will do if i have to, otherwise, only software update

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • Both apt and dnf have stuff to easily install security updates regularly and automatically.

SMH at many of you boasting about laziness, incompetence and general ignorance.

Thanked by 1emg