Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Samba vs WebDAV - which one is better? how to test performance?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Samba vs WebDAV - which one is better? how to test performance?

Hey guys, I wanted to ask your opinions about this,

For my storage needs I've been looking for some S3 providers but either they're too expensive, have retention policies or doesn't allow public download so I'm thinking about renting a storage box and attaching it to my Ubuntu VPS as a drive then somehow add a webserver to download these files from my other servers. Basically build my own little S3 for myself. I don't need S3 compatibility btw.

My options are as follow; Samba/CIFS, WebDAV, SSH, Rclone, Borg, FTP/S, Restic, rsync.

Honestly I'm not sure what most of these are but I believe attaching the box to my server as a network drive using Samba/CIFS or WebDAV would be the easiest way for me to achieve my goal.

However, I'm wondering what would the performance be? How can I test the performance and speed? How can I stress test this? Can there any disconnections happen with the network drive and if so how can I prevent this? Is it possible to encrypt the data transfers?

I'd really appreciate your help on this! Thanks!

Comments

• My experience is that cifs is good, but occasionally has some weird speed issues on public transfers. webdav is a more stable option, (if you don't care so much about real-time modifications). On the other hand, minio is nice and can be done out of the box. I know you don't need any S3 compatibility, but you can actually get that, just by installing docker and configuring a simple docker-compose.

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

Would a TrueNAS VPS + XTB of stoarge be an intress to you? we are working on a project like this.

It has built in OVPN server and client.

• @host_c said:
    Would a TrueNAS VPS + XTB of stoarge be an intress to you? we are working on a project like this.

It has built in OVPN server and client.

What is TrueNAS? I’m interested if pricing is good.

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

I cannot give you a clear answer to pricing yet. We are still in test faze.

Basically you will get a 2 core, 8gb, 10 GB vps + XTB for the storage part.

TrueNAS hai built in OVPN service, and all the other protocols for file storage, like FTP, NFS, CIFS, webdav and others.

https://www.truenas.com/download-truenas-scale/

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

To test it, you can always copy the root file system to the storage and see if there are any delays. Most mentioned protocols support encryption, but if you want to add security, you can always set up IPsec between them.

Thanked by 1anbelevebel