Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

solution for docker swarm
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

solution for docker swarm

imgmoneyimgmoney Member
edited March 2023 in Help

Hi All,

I am learning docker swarm to make the stack deployment easier. And I am looking for a solution or ideas for the below problems.

1) persistent storage

I want a volume available for all the containers in all nodes in the swarm.

Use case:

to store MySQL data
to sore static files and session

I see people using GFS and making the volume available in all nodes. But I want something to be deployed as Docker Swarm service via compose file instead of manual setups.

2) sync files across the container

I want to sync folders and files from one container to all the containers. I can use lsyncd, but as I will scale the services, I like the host details to be dynamic.

Note: I will use this thread to reply to any new problem as I am learning. I am not going to use this thread as support. As I will do all extensive research and only if I find there is no idea, I will look for ideas from LET members

Thanks

Thanked by 1Calin

Comments

• fartfart Member

Common NFS mount on all servers and then mount said NFS mount as a volume in each container?

If you're open to using K8s, persistent volumes are an option.

• I set up a three-node Docker Swarm cluster around 1.5 years ago. For storage, it was GlusterFS. Everything worked perfectly until I decommissioned the environment a month ago.

Usage was low. It was around ten docker services and a small DB for an SMB.

Then it was Nginx on all nodes with rolling DNS failover if a node failed.

I suggest using Portainer once it's set up. It's a great UI to use and saves a lot of time. But unfortunately, I only used it around two months ago before realising the system design needed changing.

• imgmoneyimgmoney Member
    edited March 2023

@supriyo_biswas said:
    Common NFS mount on all servers and then mount said NFS mount as a volume in each container?

I am learning K8s in the meantime.

@MrLime said: GlusterFS

My app requires more IOPS. I see many differences when the app is deployed in NVMe and SSD.

Won't GlusterFS degrade the performance?

Example: storing MariaDB data into glusterFS volume and PHP codes into GlusterFS volume.

• @imgmoney said:

@supriyo_biswas said:

I am learning K8s in the meantime.

@MrLime said: GlusterFS

My app requires more IOPS. I see many differences when the app is deployed in NVMe and SSD.

Won't GlusterFS degrade the performance?

Example: storing MariaDB data into glusterFS volume and PHP codes into GlusterFS volume.

Your next alternative is to outsource the DB outside of Docker perhaps, maybe a Galera master-master cluster. I've set that up before but it would have been overkill for my use case.

I would suggest trialing the different options and testing things before committing to something.

• @imgmoney said: 1) persistent storage

I have found that SeaweedFS is the best solution for persistent storage in Docker Swarm. https://github.com/seaweedfs/seaweedfs/wiki/SeaweedFS-in-Docker-Swarm

Thanked by 1imgmoney
  • vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

You don't need to store MySQL data on several nodes at the same time. The right way is to build a MySQL cluster (Percona) where each node will have its own storage.

• @fart said: If you're open to using K8s

I am started using K8s now. But still, I find shared storage issues over here. I tested longhorn, which is simple to use. But it has poor IOPS.

Example:

Longhorn - 1300IOPS
    Local Path - 40K IOPS

Due to this, my app performs 3 times slower. Any self hosted solution which have integration with K8s?