Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

US-based private VPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

US-based private VPN

US government employee that's overseas, sick of dealing with blacklisted IPs or being CAPTCHA'd to death, and would like to spin up a Wireguard/PiHole instance on a clean-ish IP for when I need to be on US sites. No streaming or torrenting, just day-to-day usage for a handful of personal devices. Looking for 1 CPU, 4GB mem, 20 GB space, 500GB+ bandwidth.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Thanked by 2greentea alinull

Comments

• cpsdcpsd Member

I am using a VPS ip since 2014 for personal use/VPN and those websites still detect my connection as coming from a VPN network with the problem you said.

Thanked by 2napir greentea
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@MannDude has some US-based Wireguard VPN specific stuff going on at the moment iirc (free beta testing)

If you want a full VPS definitely something we can handle as well.

Thanked by 3napir MannDude greentea
  • Why do you need 4GB of RAM for Wireguard + Pihole? That seems excessive.

Also, Vultr or another hourly provider so that if your IP is filthy you can just destroy and recreate it.

Thanked by 2napir the_doctor
  • napirnapir Member
    edited March 2023

@cpsd said:
    I am using a VPS ip since 2014 for personal use/VPN and those websites still detect my connection as coming from a VPN network with the problem you said.

@MallocVoidstar said:
    Why do you need 4GB of RAM for Wireguard + Pihole? That seems excessive.

Also, Vultr or another hourly provider so that if your IP is filthy you can just destroy and recreate it.

Yeah, been playing this game of whack-a-mole for a few years now with Linode and DigitalOcean. I get a good IP for a few weeks or months then gotta kill it and start over. Hoping for a smaller provider that lasts a bit longer, probably a fool's errand.

4GB is probably overkill, it's just the footprint I've been using for a while now.

• napirnapir Member

@crunchbits said:
    @MannDude has some US-based Wireguard VPN specific stuff going on at the moment iirc (free beta testing)

Thanks, will take a look.

• Can't you just buy a Pi loaded with PiVPN and ask your colleagues to host it in their home?

• I would find a small hosting provider that operates its own ASN. Make use of their Looking Glass to check what ASN they use to see if it's on any blacklist database. So you know what the chances are of getting an IP that has already been reported.

In terms of my recommendations, I would recommend Nexril or Xenspec.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep
  • NebesNebes Member

Why just not to buy private proxy? There are planty offers both residential/mobile ips

Thanked by 2emgh napir
  • harrisonharrison Member
    edited March 2023

Someone has already mentioned but @MannDude has recently put together a VPN service with a focus on privacy:

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/184419/free-incogvpn-beta-wireguard-ikev2-ad-blocking-no-logging-dns-over-tor-no-bullshit/p1

Thanked by 1napir
  • emghemgh Member
    edited March 2023

@cpsd said:

@crunchbits said:

@MallocVoidstar said:

@napir said:

@cpsd said:

@MallocVoidstar said:

Yeah, been playing this game of whack-a-mole for a few years now with Linode and DigitalOcean. I get a good IP for a few weeks or months then gotta kill it and start over. Hoping for a smaller provider that lasts a bit longer, probably a fool's errand.

4GB is probably overkill, it's just the footprint I've been using for a while now.

@napir said:

@crunchbits said:

Thanks, will take a look.

@concept said:
    I would find a small hosting provider that operates its own ASN. Make use of their Looking Glass to check what ASN they use to see if it's on any blacklist database. So you know what the chances are of getting an IP that has already been reported.

In terms of my recommendations, I would recommend Nexril or Xenspec.

@harrison said:
    Someone has already mentioned but @MannDude has recently put together a VPN service with a focus on privacy:

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/184419/free-incogvpn-beta-wireguard-ikev2-ad-blocking-no-logging-dns-over-tor-no-bullshit/p1

I never quote this number of posts normally, but: no, no, no & no again.

The IP being dedicated dosen't matter. They don't captcha because of spam or whatever.

They captcha based on IP lookup, and any provider, especially established one's, will face these issues. No matter how "clean the IP".

What you need is a mobile proxy, preferably a 5G one but you'll probably be OK with a 4G one.

These aren't remotely close to the best you can get, but they've got daily trials at least so that you can see the difference yourself: https://litport.net/pricing/mobile-proxies/united-states.

That's what you need. Not another host IP. I'd try the "Shared Device" for a day and research better (faster & cheaper) alternatives if it does what you need.

• you can just use cloudflare warp

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@napir I would recommend going with one of our RPiServers nodes.
    We are connected with Lumen and Lumen has quite a few government connections so it will help your latency.

@bruh21 Thank you for the shoutout.

Thanked by 1napir
  • vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

Greetings! You can easily do everything you need with our VPS plans: https://vsys.host/vps-netherlands
    We will also provide you with a clean IP.

• napirnapir Member

@martheen said:
    Can't you just buy a Pi loaded with PiVPN and ask your colleagues to host it in their home?

This is something I'll ultimately end up doing, but I haven't been back in some time and it just hasn't come up.

@Nebes said:
    Why just not to buy private proxy? There are planty offers both residential/mobile ips

Looked into this in the past, need to re-look. I just know everything I was seeing seemed very scammy or spammers were crushing the good ones. Mind you, I was looking through Reddit for recs and, well, Reddit...

@emgh said:
    What you need is a mobile proxy, preferably a 5G one but you'll probably be OK with a 4G one.

Exploring this now, thanks for the info. As far as what triggers CAPTCHAs, yeah I figured it had to do with providers' blocks of IPs/ASNs being blocked, so I came here in search of a small provider rec, but always open to better ideas!

@DataIdeas-Josh said:
    We are connected with Lumen and Lumen has quite a few government connections so it will help your latency.

Taking a look now, thanks.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@bruh21 Thank you for the shoutout.

The issue isn’t latency. It won’t help.

@vsys_host said:
    Greetings! You can easily do everything you need with our VPS plans: https://vsys.host/vps-netherlands

So you have residential IP blocks? How?

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited March 2023

I wouldn't fully trust any VPN provider in the US if you care about real privacy, HOWEVER, I'm keeping my eye on @MannDude's service, which might be a rare exception. It's still in beta, it's not open source AFAIK, but @MannDude does care about freedom of speech and privacy issues, so I think it has real potential.

And as others have suggested, roll your own VPN on one of their VPSes. Lots of good choices on LET.

Good luck.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • emgemg Veteran

@martheen said:
    Can't you just buy a Pi loaded with PiVPN and ask your colleagues to host it in their home?

I was thinking along similar lines. What would it take to get a small, remotely managed server in a family member's home? Parents, siblings, children, cousins, etc.?

I can think of many different ways to do it, but it depends on what is available to you locally and remotely. By the way, that probably violates the terms of service of the person's residential ISP account.

I still wonder about commercial companies offering services with "residential IP addresses". How are they doing it? Can you trust a company that offers a service that lies for you?

(Yeah, if you think about it, that's what "lawyers" or "spokespersons" or "ad agencies" do, but somehow they seem different.)

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited March 2023

Mullvad VPN(or IVPN) and their SOCKS5 service. You put socks5 addy in your browser config and get IP that is not used on normal tunnels.
    You shouldn't experience many captchas. I've been using it in Mullvad for years and been very happy with it, not many people use it that's why IP's have relatively good reputation.

https://mullvad.net/en/help/socks5-proxy/
    https://www.ivpn.net/knowledgebase/general/socks5-proxy-service/

I would personally not trust any provider here after you revealed you work for US Govt.
    I do not want to offend anyone, but I imagine opsec and data hygiene is important as a fed.
    Both Mullvad and IVPN ask for 0 personal info(literally none, you get a random login code and that's it) - I advise you to pay with crypto like Monero so they even get less information about you compared to paying with CC.

Thanked by 2maverick yongsiklee
  • @emg said: violates the terms of service of the person's residential ISP account

Usually, they don't care that much unless the load consistently saturates the bandwidth or they get letters from copyright trolls or law enforcement. If OP just behaves normally, it's just like them staying at their friend's home and then using the wifi.

OP is already at higher risk of the government finding out anyway, any setup doesn't actually hide the latency which can be much higher compared to the exit ISP looking glass. Probably already checked on a cronjob somewhere.

• emgemg Veteran

@martheen said:
    Usually, they don't care that much unless the load consistently saturates the bandwidth or they get letters from copyright trolls or law enforcement. If OP just behaves normally, it's just like them staying at their friend's home and then using the wifi.

OP is already at higher risk of the government finding out anyway, any setup doesn't actually hide the latency which can be much higher compared to the exit ISP looking glass. Probably already checked on a cronjob somewhere.

Regarding terms of service, I agree. I have created a similar setup for myself for use while traveling. My motive was security, not about having a residential IP.

In my opinion, the OP does not care if the government finds out about a personal residential connection to the internet as long as the OP is not bypassing mandatory network security requirements for government employees, data, or devices.

The OP was just explaining why they are overseas and want a US residential IP address. The fact that they work for the US government may give them access to more reliable and secure methods to ship packages back and forth than most people have. They may also know people who travel often between the 'States and where they live.

• If he's not streaming or torrenting, wtf is blocking the IP's? I can understand captchas for VM's in datacenters, but that's only for Google and mostly goes away when signed in.

Anyway, opnsense with an ad blocker and wireguard from your home or a friend's house is the best.

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

@vsys_host said:

So you have residential IP blocks? How?

We don't have residential IPs

• If you do not watch streaming sites, you are find with most small providers. Also depend on where are you located at, because east coast and west coast could have a big difference on the experience.

• https://www.vpngate.net/ I heard that you can find a free US home broadband vpn here, you can try it!