Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where'd you learn networking?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where'd you learn networking?

HarmonyHarmony Member

Where did you guys learn networking? Looking for some good online courses for L3 and some basics L2 networking enough for what you would need to know to get some colocation hosting setup.

Seen some courses on Udemy but looking for suggestions

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
  • servzenservzen Member, Host Rep

Not too much expert in networking, but can handle my hosting problems myself. learned from Google, YouTube.

• I think the best way is learning by tinkering with an application or necessity you have in mind.
    Like hosting a Mastodon instance etc.

• trycatchthistrycatchthis Member
    edited March 2023

Networking is actually a fairly large subcategory of IT.

I'm not sure anyone really know all or most of it. For example its both physical and software based. There is the pratical implementations of standards, the people who develop the standards and the manufacture of hardware.

For example how many of us have laid fiber? How many of us can name different standards of fiber connectors without googling it? Then there is stuff like DNS which I still have trouble understanding sometimes even though I use it every day. How many of us ever looked into the source code for BIND?

There are all kinds of specific network programs that were in use for decades that we should be aware of.

This hasn't even mentioned telephony which many of us will never touch. What about satellite?

With that being said CCNA is probably one of the best places to start. Then keep learning and specializing in more areas.

Also there's a PHD Asian dude that's bound to appear on this thread soon talking about pushups I bet.

• @trycatchthis said:
    Networking is actually a fairly large subcategory of IT.

I'm not sure anyone really know all or most of it. For example its both physical and software based. There is the pratical implementations of standards, the people who develop the standards and the manufacture of hardware.

For example how many of us have laid fiber? How many of us can name different standards of fiber connectors without googling it? Then there is stuff like DNS which I still have trouble understanding sometimes even though I use it every day. How many of us ever looked into the source code for BIND?

There are all kinds of specific network programs that were in use for decades that we should be aware of.

This hasn't even mentioned telephony which many of us will never touch. What about satellite?

With that being said CCNA is probably one of the best places to start. Then keep learning and specializing in more areas.

Also there's a PHD Asian dude that's bound to appear on this thread soon talking about pushups I bet.

I'm not really looking to learn everything from scratch I don't see the point in learning the base layer of networking I will only ever be operating routers/switches at a colo provider. Anything else the DC handles.

• VoidVoid Member

@trycatchthis said:

mentally strong people learn networking by laying fibers in the mud.

• @jmaxwell said: mentally strong people learn networking

...or by plugging and unplugging RJ45 connectors to Ethernet socket until you feel the "tick" sound by your soul while simultaneously hitting on F5 to refresh LET.

Thanked by 2loay emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@harrison said:

@jmaxwell said: mentally strong people learn networking

...or by plugging and unplugging RJ45 connectors to Ethernet socket until you feel the "tick" sound by your soul while simultaneously hitting on F5 to refresh LET.

That’s not ”networking” that’s ”net works, king”

Thanked by 1harrison
  • vonunovvonunov Member
    edited March 2023

(Telco/EE mom PC support Ma Bell / Anti Trust? ...Totally! tier 2 ISP support [gentle exposure to WAN begins here; also, "learned to think in circuits and doesn't get stuck because of forgetting to check the return path" buff granted] half of a CCNA class at community college [having honed the art of extracting the truth from evasive users and having been instilled with the reflex to always check layer one, now exposure to dynamic routing, systematic use of the OSI / TCP/IP models, and significant amounts of stuff outside of 192.168.1.0/24 begins here] enterprise firewall vendor T2/T3 support) + screwing around ad libitum with personal websites, gaming servers, half-baked 2 a.m. web exploit attempts and occasional WLAN paranoia.

... Xah Lee ??

Edit: also a lot of networking and web security research was done in the name of winning arguments with other 14-year-olds on neopets

• @vonunov said:
    ... Xah Lee ??

@yoursunny

• vonunovvonunov Member
    edited March 2023

@Harmony said: I'm not really looking to learn everything from scratch I don't see the point in learning the base layer of networking I will only ever be operating routers/switches at a colo provider. Anything else the DC handles.

"Networking for System Administrators" and "Cisco Routers for the Desperate" and others by Michael Lucas, and other interesting materials such as may be found by searching for 'networking for sysadmins' or similar.

All of these other promising-sounding resources below can be tracked on "The Geeks", a convenient tracker for tracking a veritable torrent of e-learning materials, making it easier than ever to keep track of which ones you have already paid for.

• ITProTV - Cisco CCT Routing and Switching (100-490) [23 WebRips (MP4)]
    • Ross Bagurdes' lessons including Building and Troubleshooting a Network with ICND1 Skills for Cisco, Network Interface Layer and Ethernet Operation for Cisco, Network Address Translation (NAT) for Cisco, Network Layer Addressing and Operation for Cisco
    • Gary Donahue - Network Warrior [1 ebook (PDF)]
    • PluralSight - TCP/IP and Networking Fundamentals for Sysadmins - Aaron Staines (2019) [Webrip (MP4) + PDF]
    • James Kurose, Keith Ross - Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach (7th Global Edition) [Ebook (1 PDF), Resources (29 PDFs, 13 HTMLs, 10 TXTs, 7 MP4s, 6 DOCXs, 5 PPTXs, 4 PPTs, 3 GIFs, 2 PNGs)]
    • Pluralsight - Practical Networking [Webrip (MP4s)]
    • Cisco Press LiveLessons CCNA Data Center Networking DCICN 640-911 [83 WebRips (FLV)]
    • Introduction to Networks Companion Guide (CCNAv7) [1 eBook (EPUB)]
    • Udemy - CCENT and CCNA Real World Labs - Cisco Training [53 WebRips (MP4)]
    • CBT Nuggets - Cisco CCNA Labs - Cisco For The Real World [WebCasts (AVI)]
    Thanked by 1Void
  • Great information has been shared about the network learning.