Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[a update post] More $1 Dedi Deals from Codero. Stay away from these guys
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[a update post] More $1 Dedi Deals from Codero. Stay away from these guys

kyakykyaky Member
edited December 2013 in Providers

I saw their new promo this morning from my email, it recalled my previous problem with them.

Just a friendly remind to whom that are interested in these cheap deals from Codero.

If you don't know what happened to my lesson before, check it out here:

previously in old post:
"Basically, I applied for cancellation 2 days after purchase. They didn't allow me to cancel unless I pay them $282 the full price. now the cancellation is still showing pending and they want me either pay it now or they are gonna charge from my VISA at the end of billing."

update:
I finally got a msg from their marketing manager telling me a guy from billing department will look into my case 1 week ago. After nearly 1 week waiting, their hopeless guy sent me an exactly same ticket reply as what they did before informing me if I cancel the order with in 30 days they are going to charge my VISA for the full price. ($282+ in my case).

lowendtalk.com/discussion/17752/hidden-policy-or-what-1-dedicated-server-from-codero/p1

same reply from this human robot

I've given up taking to these guys. I will just need to do what I have to do if they want to play this cunning trick.

I don't live in the US. I want someone who is familiar with the US hosting industry to tell me a bit about how this company is. Is their business big? profitable? how can they even survive?

If you say they are focusing on highend market, then posting $1 deal at lowend community is a bit doggy.

This didn't happen to me again. I'm just posing this as a update to my previous post.

Thanked by 1matthewvz

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Whereby you the guy that made something similar some weeks ago?

• Well, that's just their marketing strategy, and you have agreed to their terms on signup so there is nothing to complain about.

• My 2 cents for our experience with these guys. We've used codero for various dedicated servers for a few years now and never had any issues with billing. Then again, we've never taken them up on any of their goofy introductory deals. They screw up the build out for about 1/4 of the servers we've ever ordered but have always made it right.

They are a large provider in the Phoenix, Arizona area with a long history of solid network performance and good customer service. Overall, I would say they have a good reputation. They're not likely to bend the TOS for anyone.

I will give a bit of advice though. Never pay listed price. Chatting online or on the phone with a sales rep there will always get you a much better deal than is listed on their site. Pushing hard enough, I've been able to snatch up some of my boxes for less than 1/2 the listed price. Not always.

• PcJamesyPcJamesy Member
    edited December 2013

hum looks like a good usage for this https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/resources/virtual-credit-card-numbers.shtml if you only want to make one payment that they can't charge again themselves. But to cancel after 2 days i can see your point.

Thanked by 1kyaky
  • kyakykyaky Member
    edited December 2013

@netomx said:
    Whereby you the guy that made something similar some weeks ago?

I just saw their promo this morning from my email. so I decided to post a update for my previous issue. thats all. read before guess

• @NodePing said:
    My 2 cents for our experience with these guys. We've used codero for various dedicated servers for a few years now and never had any issues with billing. Then again, we've never taken them up on any of their goofy introductory deals. They screw up the build out for about 1/4 of the servers we've ever ordered but have always made it right.

They are a large provider in the Phoenix, Arizona area with a long history of solid network performance and good customer service. Overall, I would say they have a good reputation. They're not likely to bend the TOS for anyone.

I will give a bit of advice though. Never pay listed price. Chatting online or on the phone with a sales rep there will always get you a much better deal than is listed on their site. Pushing hard enough, I've been able to snatch up some of my boxes for less than 1/2 the listed price. Not always.

Thanks for the info

1. For any new services started that receive a discount covered by any promotion, and then within the first 30 days are canceled will be billed at our standard, non-discounted fee.

I don't really get it. The listed price is $1 for first month, then $282 (for example) for the next months. I don't see anywhere stating the price is $282 per month, then discounted to $1 for first month. They should not charge you anything because you paid exactly $1, the listed/full price for first month.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2013

@DalComp said:
    I don't really get it. The listed price is $1 for first month, then $282 (for example) for the next months. I don't see anywhere stating the price is $282 per month, then discounted to $1 for first month. They should not charge you anything because you paid exactly $1, the listed/full price for first month.

I'm sure they clearly and transparently informed the customer of that.

...in a tiny clause hidden away in a pile of TOS somewhere.

@Andy said:
    Well, that's just their marketing strategy, and you have agreed to their terms on signup so there is nothing to complain about.

How about we stop judging validity of complaints/warnings by technical legal standards, and start judging them by moral standards? That would make for a lot more honest and transparent business, wouldn't it?

EDIT: Oh, and you might want to learn the difference between "there is nothing to complain about", and "I don't think this is a valid complaint". They're two very different things.

• nonubynonuby Member
    edited December 2013

@joepie91 said:
    How about we stop judging validity of complaints/warnings by technical legal standards, and start judging them by moral standards? That would make for a lot more honest and transparent business, wouldn't it?

Good call... Or just common sense.. True, he didnt read the TOS, but this smells worse than ur[skanny]pad's headlining 30 day money back guarantee on the homepage only to be excluded deep in the TOS.

• emgemg Veteran

I have lost sympathy for @kyaki. His previous, lengthy thread on the same topic was closed at his request. Now he is reopening the old thread because he just got an email message from Codero with the same offer.

What is his motive for creating this new thread? Is it to warn us yet again, after he closed the previous thread less than a couple weeks ago, or is he trying to exact revenge on Codero because they insisted on adhering to their terms of service? I suspect the latter. When @kyaki closed the previous thread, he chose to turn it into a private matter between him and Codero.

Administrators: I move that this thread be closed. @kyaki already had his bite at the apple.

Thanked by 1Wintereise
  • kyakykyaky Member
    edited December 2013

@emg said:
    I have lost sympathy for kyaki. His previous, lengthy thread on the same topic was closed at his request. Now he is reopening the old thread because he just got an email message from Codero with the same offer.

What is his motive for creating this new thread? Is it to warn us yet again, after he closed the previous thread less than a couple weeks ago, or is he trying to exact revenge on Codero because they insisted on adhering to their terms of service? I suspect the latter. When kyaki closed the previous thread, he chose to turn it into a private matter between him and Codero.

Administrators: I move that this thread be closed. kyaki already had his bite at the apple.

How does this revenge work if this is the revenge you called? for the previous 1 week, I was waiting for the result from Codero. In stead of taking that thread too far from the topic, I decided to ask the admin to close the previous one. Today I got the reply from them which is ridiculous to me. Same "copy and paste" answer from them again while my friends who missed the last thread are discussing buying these Dedi promos in our 300 customers marketing chat group. I warned them to have a look at the TOS this time and want more people to be aware of this.

If you call this is the revenge, I would have nothing to say.

• emgemg Veteran

If you had received what you wanted from Codero, would you have started this thread when the email advertisement arrived? I think not.

They sent you a letter saying that your request had been reviewed by their executive team and they said no. You are not satisfied by their answer, so you started another thread saying "stay-away-from-these-guys". You are trying to hurt their business in retaliation for not returning the money that you agreed to pay when you accepted their terms of service at purchase time. I call that revenge.

In my opinion, you should have negotiated with them through private communications and never opened this thread. By opening this thread, you have actively harmed your case.

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited December 2013

@emg said:
    If you had received what you wanted from Codero, would you have started this thread when the email advertisement arrived? I think not.

They sent you a letter saying that your request had been reviewed by their executive team and they said no. You are not satisfied by their answer, so you started another thread saying "stay-away-from-these-guys". You are trying to hurt their business in retaliation for not returning the money that you agreed to pay when you accepted their terms of service at purchase time. I call that revenge.

In my opinion, you should have negotiated with them through private communications and never opened this thread. By opening this thread, you have actively harmed your case.

It's like what other people do. They are not happy with something then they post something. Personal opinions or even bias opinions have never become a thought crime as far as I know in western society. If customers were happy with the service, would they post some complaints? of course not. I'm just telling you, I dont give a shit to what they do anymore because they were not gonna do something anyway.

you know what, I could use virtual visa/mastercard like others do. These cards are perfect for giving them revenge because they will not be able to charge a second time from these card. I don't do that and I tell people from our VPS group not to scam otherwise they will be kicked out of group for fraud.

Of course I'm angry with them and I've given up bullshiting with them anymore but it doesn't mean this post is a revenge like what you think is. It's far too simple than what angry customers can do. I'm afraid I'm not that type.

• In hopes of clarifying this a bit more for the forum, Codero Hosting makes their terms and conditions explicit in each promotional email that we send. Our Terms of Service are clearly listed on codero.com in addition to the terms and service provided within the email. In order to run our business we must hold to our terms and conditions and we are transparent about them. Here are the terms of service that are included in every email including the one posted above, and on Codero.com:

http://www.codero.com/specials/

Codero Hosting loves our customers, it’s the reason we are in business, and we are always up front and transparent with our terms of service. The whole purpose of the promotion is to make it easy for you to become a Codero customer by making it affordable to migrate servers either from other providers, or from your own internal infrastructure and eliminate potential costs of paying double at the same time. Our recent $1.00 promotion explicitly provided the action that would be taken if cancellation occurred within the first 30 days. As a business, it is essential that we stick to these terms in order to continue providing the services and products that we do to thousands of satisfied customers.

We would like to extend a thank you to those on this board who have come to our defense. It is not in our nature to deceive our customers, and we have gone so far as to provide an alternative solution to this situation to Kyaky in direct communication. Since we are already in direct communication with Kyaky, we respectfully propose that this thread be closed.

• @chbranding said:
    In hopes of clarifying this a bit more for the forum, Codero Hosting makes their terms and conditions explicit in each promotional email that we send. Our Terms of Service are clearly listed on codero.com in addition to the terms and service provided within the email. In order to run our business we must hold to our terms and conditions and we are transparent about them. Here are the terms of service that are included in every email including the one posted above, and on Codero.com:

Codero Hosting loves our customers, it’s the reason we are in business, and we are always up front and transparent with our terms of service. The whole purpose of the promotion is to make it easy for you to become a Codero customer by making it affordable to migrate servers either from other providers, or from your own internal infrastructure and eliminate potential costs of paying double at the same time. Our recent $1.00 promotion explicitly provided the action that would be taken if cancellation occurred within the first 30 days. As a business, it is essential that we stick to these terms in order to continue providing the services and products that we do to thousands of satisfied customers.

We would like to extend a thank you to those on this board who have come to our defense. It is not in our nature to deceive our customers, and we have gone so far as to provide an alternative solution to this situation to Kyaky in direct communication. Since we are already in direct communication with Kyaky, we respectfully propose that this thread be closed.

Sounds wonderful.

But my question to Kyaky is, did they gave you a acceptable "alternative solution" ?
    if im honest i think its still a tricky way to drag people in with $1 deal thats covered using a TOS.

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited December 2013

What I don't like about the email is "No Contracts".

Sure... You're not agreeing to a long term rental/lease/RTO agreement, but consider the phrase: "...within the first 30 days are cancelled will be billed at our standard, non-discounted fee."

Essentially, if the customer doesn't remain with you for over 30 days, the full price must be paid -- sounds like it could be loosely considered a 'contract' to me. There's no asterisk or indicator that there's more then what meets the eye to "No Contracts", which is a sleazy move in my opinion.

• BK_ said: Essentially, if the customer doesn't remain with you for over 30 days, the full price must be paid -- sounds like it could be loosely considered a 'contract' to me. There's no asterisk or indicator that there's more then what meets the eye to "No Contracts", which is a sleazy move in my opinion.

I would call it legal entrapment.

As soon as one sign up with the service, then one is bound by the contract, and the $1 deal is voided.

• just close/cancel your credit card, no problem anymore . hehe

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

So, the provider will have to waste his resources for $1 because you want to abuse the server, huh?

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited December 2013

netomx said: So, the provider will have to waste his resources for $1 because you want to abuse the server, huh?

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that signing up for a $1 server with the intent to cancel it after abusing it is very plausible. There's got to be a better way to deal with non-abusive clients that simply aren't satisfied or don't want to continue using the service.

Stating 'No Contracts' isn't transparent.

The definition of a contract: "a written or spoken agreement, esp. one concerning employment, sales, or tenancy, that is intended to be enforceable by law."

A 'Terms of Service' is considered a legal binding agreement. The 'Terms of Service' contains a clause that is very blatantly an item that is considered a commitment (or contract).

It appears to me like this is a case of deceptive advertising.

Just my two cents. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited December 2013

@chbranding said:
    In hopes of clarifying this a bit more for the forum, Codero Hosting makes their terms and conditions explicit in each promotional email that we send. Our Terms of Service are clearly listed on codero.com in addition to the terms and service provided within the email. In order to run our business we must hold to our terms and conditions and we are transparent about them. Here are the terms of service that are included in every email including the one posted above, and on Codero.com:

I thank you for the "alternative" you talked about in the email.

I am willing to reduce your first month payment by 25% which will bring your total owed from $281.00 to $210.75.

However, for 2 days use, I'm not going to pay $210.75.

I can pay you $20 bulks. 281/30=$9. I pay you 10 dollars/day. for two days. 20 bulks. How is that?

you can't expect thread close while charging me $210 bulks for 2 days. How can this work out? This is not a blackmail. I'm just telling you here. I'm not paying $210.75 for 2 days use. This fail advertisement is totally against Australia fair trading law. You might say your business is from the US. I don't care. I will see you in court or fair trading department. I'm waiting for the incoming VISA charge.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • What I don't understand is the statement within the email "... For any new services started that receive a discount covered by any promotion, and then within the 30 days are canceled will be billed at our standard, non-discounted fee."

So, once clients enjoy any kind of discounted prices they are bound to something like a "contract" - they are forced to pay the standard fee if they choose not to stay.

This is completely a trick that is not aiming to benefit your clients but to yourself. Codero have to raise their level of service if they stick to the "Terms and Condition". In this case people stay with you and no such dispute ever happens.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited December 2013

Honestly,

i think that kyaky is in the wrong here
    but generally i Disagree with the method that Codero uses to draw in new customers, its misleading, you cant expect everyone to always read everything, we all know this.

It would be great if Codero could make a exception for once and let kyaky go
    but i doubt they care about their clients, thats why they have those tricky TOS agreements and shady promotions.

If i'm wrong then show otherwise Codero, show good will and fix this.

Thanked by 1kyaky
  • Kyaky please continue to work with the team directly. I encourage you to setup a call with us, as I don't think we've had the opportunity to speak with you directly. Please let us know what works best for you. Respectfully, Chris B.

I also appreciate the feedback from everyone else on the thread..

• Any updates? it still looks like nothing was been resolved..

@kyaky @chbranding