Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 VPS 1 Site policy
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1 VPS 1 Site policy

ArkasArkas Moderator

With the prices we get here for VPSs, some even come with DA included, I decided from now on to implement a 1 VPS 1 site policy. Since doing so, managing my sites has become so much easier. I know it is a waste of resources, depending on the VPS specs, I usually use my 2 vCPU 2 GB RAM for this, but speed and managing the VPS itself and site has become a breeze.
I use to be of the opinion that I should use all the resources to the max, installing various sites, some running WP, others Grav, others Ghost or Hugo...etc... It was a mess.
Anyhow, does anyone else do this?
I would love to get your feedback.

Thanked by 1Ganonk

Comments

• alt_alt_ Member
    edited March 2023

1 site per free instance per Vultr account, sounds great.

• I have never considered it a problem with running multiple sites within the same vps. I run most sites without any kind of panel, but DA has no problem handling multiple domains, databases, installations or whatever.

What do you experience as a problem when running multiple sites on a single vps, and what are the advantages of running them individually?
    As I see it, it's just more software to maintain and keep track of.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@rcy026 said: As I see it, it's just more software to maintain and keep track of.

Exactly that. This way, for about $30 per year on average, I have 1 IPv4 per site, and I need to take care of 1 VPS and 1 website on it, without thinking of optimization of multiple sites per VPS. It's just been easier to maintain. I do buy the VPSs only when there are sales though, and on a yearly payment.

• @Arkas said:

@rcy026 said: As I see it, it's just more software to maintain and keep track of.

Exactly that. This way, for about $30 per year on average, I have 1 IPv4 per site, and I need to take care of 1 VPS and 1 website on it, without thinking of optimization of multiple sites per VPS. It's just been easier to maintain. I do buy the VPSs only when there are sales though, and on a yearly payment.

But then you have 30 or whatever webservers to maintain, instead of just one. That was what I was referring to. I'd rather keep track of just a single nginx/mysql/php whatever installation then a whole bunch of them.

Thanked by 2Arkas iKeyZ
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@rcy026 said: I'd rather keep track of just a single nginx/mysql/php whatever installation then a whole bunch of them.

That's a good point. Since I'm only running 5 of these types of configs it's been easy, but 30 would be a problem.

• MrEdMrEd Member

Personally on my home server I use one main VM where all standard web applications are running, where all can work with the same PHP version, etc. But if I see any possibility to screw something while setting up or for security reasons or just to have it separated, I spawn a lxd container with apache/nginx in it and have a proxy pass from the main VM to the container. This also works great for non-PHP apps, like jenkins, archiva (lightweight nexus alternative for maven), guacamole, etc... Doing this I don't have all the overhead of multiple VMs, only the things that are necesarry for the app to run arw loaded, and I have possibility to upgrade only one part of my farm when I need that :)

Thanked by 2Arkas yoursunny
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Arkas said: but 30 would be a problem

I do things differently than others but happy to offer my way as a little tip:

root@gw:~# cat bin/darun
    pdsh -w ^/root/hosts/dahosts -R ssh "$@" 2> /dev/null

+

root@gw:~# cat hosts/dahosts
    eagle.mxlogin.com
    pixel.mxrouting.net
    taylor.mxrouting.net
    sunfire.mxrouting.net
    blizzard.mxrouting.net
    longhorn.mxrouting.net
    safari.mxrouting.net
    lucy.mxrouting.net
    arrow.mxrouting.net
    echo.mxrouting.net
    london.mxroute.com
    shadow.mxrouting.net
    moose.mxrouting.net
    tuesday.mxrouting.net
    monday.mxrouting.net
    wednesday.mxrouting.net
    redbull.mxrouting.net
    witcher.mxrouting.net

Example:

root@gw:~# darun exim -bpc
    longhorn.mxrouting.net: 2
    safari.mxrouting.net: 18
    tuesday.mxrouting.net: 8
    lucy.mxrouting.net: 12
    blizzard.mxrouting.net: 15
    echo.mxrouting.net: 5
    redbull.mxrouting.net: 4
    monday.mxrouting.net: 9
    witcher.mxrouting.net: 0
    moose.mxrouting.net: 14
    eagle.mxlogin.com: 38
    arrow.mxrouting.net: 10
    london.mxroute.com: 7
    wednesday.mxrouting.net: 2
    shadow.mxrouting.net: 13
    taylor.mxrouting.net: 11
    pixel.mxrouting.net: 9
    sunfire.mxrouting.net: 11

Thanked by 2Arkas Erisa
  • i usually host a lot of services like whoogle nextcloud cockpit minecraft servers etc so like there are a lot of webservers running, i use docker because obviously and then let nginx handle the forwarding

now one website a vps is just weird and honestly let people do what they want to man

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • ralfralf Member

@jar said: pdsh

Never seen pdsh before. Nice.

Thanked by 1jar
  • ralfralf Member

@Otus9051 said:
    i usually host a lot of services like whoogle nextcloud cockpit minecraft servers etc so like there are a lot of webservers running, i use docker because obviously and then let nginx handle the forwarding

now one website a vps is just weird and honestly let people do what they want to man

How did Otus become the website magnate?

• VoidVoid Member

@ralf said:

@Otus9051 said:
    i usually host a lot of services like whoogle nextcloud cockpit minecraft servers etc so like there are a lot of webservers running, i use docker because obviously and then let nginx handle the forwarding

How did Otus become the website magnate?

He’s evolving. All those freebies are paying off.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@jar said: I do things differently than others but happy to offer my way as a little tip:

Very interesting! I'll look into it further.

Thanked by 1jar
  • So far my strategy has been to maintain one nginx config/setup, and all the websites are containerized. Backups are easy and spinning up a new instance in case of downtime or migration is also straight forward. I basically copy over the docker volumes, the nginx configs, generate some new certificates and I'm back online.

Obv it doesn't work for everyone. If 1 site per VPS makes things easier for you, then more power to you. Sometimes it's worth paying extra for less headache.

Thanked by 1Arkas