Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much a server like this would cost to build and colo?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much a server like this would cost to build and colo?

anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
edited March 2023 in Help

Hi,

Recently I've been considering building my own servers and sending them to EU, US and Singapore for colo.

Let's say I were to build a server like this;

• 5950X
  • 2x3.84TB/4TB NVMe or 2x1.92TB/2TB NVMe SSDs (haven't decided on this one yet but I might need 3.84/4) (also there are things like Enterprise SSD which I don't know the difference but whichever is cheaper and can provide at least 4GB read/write speeds would work)
  • 128GB DDR4 with minimum 3200Mhz

How much would the build cost? There are things like 1U, 2U etc which I don't exactly know what they are. Also like the mother board, power supply, case etc I don't know.

I would like to build 3x of these servers for starters and send 1 to EU (preferably Germany), 1 to US and 1 to Singapore. I also want minimum of 1Gbps connection to them. Over time I will build more of the exact same servers and send them to any of these locations as well.

I won't need any virtualization. They will run docker containers on Ubuntu. I would also like to rent my /24 subnets for cheap and use with these servers in each location.

What are my options for this goal would be? I'd appreciate the help!

Comments

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited March 2023

Don't do it.

EU Example:
    5950X + 128GB + 2x3.84TB + 1Gbit unmetered from Hetzner costs 103 euro monthly.
    Cheap 1U with 250Mbit included is 30euro monthly, colo with 1Gbit unmetered will cost almost as much as Hetzner server (depends on provider and datacenter).

Just for this reason it doesn't make any sense, but let say you found 50euro/mo colo deal with 1Gbit included. Difference between colo and dedi from Hetzner is 600euro/year. Server that you want to colo is 2000euro upfront, so your ROI is more than 2 years. And if something will happen later Hetzner will replace it and with colo'ed server you need to pay once again for replacements.

It's not worth it to colo with these requirements and scale (1U per continent...).

These specs are just completely generic, there's tons of providers with scale that got hundreds of these with wholesale pricing. Even in Africa you can get 5950X servers. Everybody has them, so it drives their pricing down.

Colo when you have scale (at least 1/4 rack), got a great deal on used hardware or need specs that no renting provider can provide at good price.

Edit: OPLink above showed that same thing applies to USA. Extremely long ROI.

• anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
    edited March 2023

@AXYZE said:
    Don't do it.

EU Example:
    Cheap 1U with 250Mbit included is 30euro monthly, colo with 1Gbit unmetered will cost almost as much as Hetzner server (depends on provider and datacenter).

Just for this reason it doesn't make any sense, but let say you found 50euro/mo colo deal with 1Gbit included. Difference between colo and dedi from Hetzner is 600euro/year. Server that you want to colo is 2000euro upfront, so your ROI is more than 2 years. And if something will happen later Hetzner will replace it and with colo'ed server you need to pay once again for replacements.

It's not worth it to colo with these requirements and scale (1U per continent...).

These specs are just completely generic, there's tons of providers with scale that got hundreds of these with wholesale pricing. Even in Africa you can get 5950X servers. Everybody has them, so it drives their pricing down.

Colo when you have scale (at least 1/4 rack), got a great deal on used hardware or need specs that no renting provider can provide at good price.

Makes sense for Hetzner but for US and Singapore most providers are asking for $250+/mo for this type of configuration. For Singapore cheapest I could find was $350/mo. Plus Hetzner and others are charging around $2-$3 per IPv4 which is something I need 10 to 15 per server. That seems to add up.

That's why I started considering colo.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@anbelevebel said:

@AXYZE said:
    Don't do it.

EU Example:

Makes sense for Hetzner but for US and Singapore most providers are asking for $250+/mo for this type of configuration. For Singapore cheapest I could find was $350/mo. Plus Hetzner and others are charging around $2-$3 per IPv4 which is something I need 10 to 15 per server. That seems to add up.

And its still worth to rent it, even for $350 in singapore.

Whats your solution for IPv4 pricing and what colo has to do anything with it?
    Will you buy IPv4 block with 256 IPs for $8k (or whatever the price is today) or what? Im curious how you want to do instead of renting for $2-$3.

• anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
    edited March 2023

@AXYZE said:

@anbelevebel said:

@AXYZE said:
    Don't do it.

EU Example:

Will you buy IPv4 block with 256 IPs for $8k (or whatever the price is today) or what? Im curious how you want to do instead of renting for $2-$3.

From what I see in this thread I can rent a /24 subnet for as low as $0.32 per IP; https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/160162/aio-ip-related-ipv4-ipv6-asn-thread-only-providers-lirs-are-allowed-to-post-offers/p1 or there are places like IPXO for as low as $0.43.

If I do colo, I can rent these IPs and do BYOIP I believe.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@anbelevebel said:

@AXYZE said:

@anbelevebel said:

@AXYZE said:
    Don't do it.

EU Example:

I can rent a /24 subnet for as low as $0.32 per IP. Check this thread for instance; https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/160162/aio-ip-related-ipv4-ipv6-asn-thread-only-providers-lirs-are-allowed-to-post-offers/p1 or there are places like IPXO for as low as $0.43.

BYOIP one rented subnet in different continents, different providers and (likely) without own ASN?
    Okay, go colo. :)))

• @AXYZE said:

@anbelevebel said:

@AXYZE said:

@anbelevebel said:

@AXYZE said:
    Don't do it.

EU Example:

I can rent a /24 subnet for as low as $0.32 per IP. Check this thread for instance; https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/160162/aio-ip-related-ipv4-ipv6-asn-thread-only-providers-lirs-are-allowed-to-post-offers/p1 or there are places like IPXO for as low as $0.43.

BYOIP one rented subnet in different continents, different providers and (likely) without own ASN?

No, I know that's not possible. that's why I will rent 3 different /24 subnets for each continent.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

@anbelevebel said:

@AXYZE said:

@anbelevebel said:

@AXYZE said:

@anbelevebel said:

@AXYZE said:
    Don't do it.

EU Example:

No, I know that's not possible. that's why I will rent 3 different /24 subnets for each continent.

If you know that then heres another question - how does renting 256IPs for $100 total make it more cost effective than renting 10-15 IPs for $2-$3 each? You told that you need just 10-15 per server earlier.

On one side youre trying to save money, on other side you want to get huge upfront costs.

IP ranges just like colo does need scale to be worth it. You dont have scale. If you dont want to listen then well, burn money on things that will make additional hassles.

Thanked by 2badhon_raj greentea
  • @AXYZE said:

@anbelevebel said:

@AXYZE said:

@anbelevebel said:

@AXYZE said:

@anbelevebel said:

@AXYZE said:
    Don't do it.

EU Example:

If you know that then heres another question - how does renting 256IPs for $100 total make it more cost effective than renting 10-15 IPs for $2-$3 each? You told that you need just 10-15 per server earlier.

On one side youre trying to save money, on other side you want to get huge upfront costs.

IP ranges just like colo does need scale to be worth it. You dont have scale. If you dont want to listen then well, burn money on things that will make additional hassles.

You're right about that one. It will take about 4 servers until it breaks even with Hetzner's pricing for IPv4. Then I might start looking for renting /24.

However I just want to build my infrastructure based on this first so I can scale up when necessary.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited March 2023

@anbelevebel said:

@AXYZE said:

@anbelevebel said:

@AXYZE said:

@anbelevebel said:

@AXYZE said:

@anbelevebel said:

@AXYZE said:
    Don't do it.

EU Example:

You're right about that one. It will take about 4 servers until it breaks even with Hetzner's pricing for IPv4. Then I might start looking for renting /24.

However I just want to build my infrastructure based on this first so I can scale up when necessary.

And what if when you scale your priorities will change? You will need bigger disks, maybe you will need 10Gbps? What if in one location you'll need 6 IPs, but in other 40?

Seriously, rent. Especially if you are starting out. Theres 0 risks, you can experiment with different specs, different locations (because maybe Japan would be better than Singapore?) and then you either make a long rent commitment (expect 10% price cut) or buy servers with exactly specs you need and with additional knowledge.

Theres a lot of costs and hassle with international colo. Shipping, customs, remote hands. Its not worth it to do it all for one server per continent.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@anbelevebel said:

We're definitely under $250/mo for that combination, and you could BYOIP or rent ours (assuming ~15 IPv4 and not 256) for $1.5/IPv4/mo.

@AXYZE is giving very solid advice here. I'll try not to be biased, but there are certain economies-of-scale in favor of the provider and things that will be difficult for you as the colo-er. If you're renting a dedicated server the onus is on the provider to maintain the hardware/replace it. Usually, unless its extremely custom, the provider will have spare parts on hand if something breaks.

If you are coloing, that is all on you. As well as building/basic setup. I don't know the exact math, but generally coloing starts to make sense at ~1/4 to 1/2 rack or if you're chasing an extremely expensive/unique (one-time hardware cost) build. A Ryzen dedicated server is quite common, and just shipping/customs alone would eat a huge chunk of the actual cost to build. Toss in remote hands and you're really going to chew away at any potential savings in a heartbeat.

Thanked by 2AXYZE greentea
  • @crunchbits said:

@anbelevebel said:

We're definitely under $250/mo for that combination, and you could BYOIP or rent ours (assuming ~15 IPv4 and not 256) for $1.5/IPv4/mo.

@AXYZE is giving very solid advice here. I'll try not to be biased, but there are certain economies-of-scale in favor of the provider and things that will be difficult for you as the colo-er. If you're renting a dedicated server the onus is on the provider to maintain the hardware/replace it. Usually, unless its extremely custom, the provider will have spare parts on hand if something breaks.

If you are coloing, that is all on you. As well as building/basic setup. I don't know the exact math, but generally coloing starts to make sense at ~1/4 to 1/2 rack or if you're chasing an extremely expensive/unique (one-time hardware cost) build. A Ryzen dedicated server is quite common, and just shipping/customs alone would eat a huge chunk of the actual cost to build. Toss in remote hands and you're really going to chew away at any potential savings in a heartbeat.

Hey, what is your pricing for this type of dedicated server if I rent from you? I'm looking for anything under $200.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@anbelevebel What location you looking for here in the US?
    We do support BYOIP and BGP if needed for colo clients.
    We also support if you want to have other carriers as well connected to you.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:
    @anbelevebel What location you looking for here in the US?
    We do support BYOIP and BGP if needed for colo clients.
    We also support if you want to have other carriers as well connected to you.

One perks of Josh's location in Texas is it gives pretty equal pings to most of US.

from quick and dirty pings from one of my boxes there

LA (letbox) - 37ms
    Chicago (hosthatch) - 29ms
    Ashburn (hetzner cloud) - 27ms

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@anbelevebel said:
    Hi,

Recently I've been considering building my own servers and sending them to EU, US and Singapore for colo.

Let's say I were to build a server like this;

• 5950X
    • 2x3.84TB/4TB NVMe or 2x1.92TB/2TB NVMe SSDs (haven't decided on this one yet but I might need 3.84/4) (also there are things like Enterprise SSD which I don't know the difference but whichever is cheaper and can provide at least 4GB read/write speeds would work)
    • 128GB DDR4 with minimum 3200Mhz

How much would the build cost? There are things like 1U, 2U etc which I don't exactly know what they are. Also like the mother board, power supply, case etc I don't know.

I would like to build 3x of these servers for starters and send 1 to EU (preferably Germany), 1 to US and 1 to Singapore. I also want minimum of 1Gbps connection to them. Over time I will build more of the exact same servers and send them to any of these locations as well.

I won't need any virtualization. They will run docker containers on Ubuntu. I would also like to rent my /24 subnets for cheap and use with these servers in each location.

What are my options for this goal would be? I'd appreciate the help!

I bought couple of these Ryzen for less then $2100 in US earlier this week

That too including rails and dual 10G SFP+ NIC

So you may need to look for more vendors and you can get a good deal

But yes I'm using 2 x 2TB NVME and not 4TB NVME

• HarmonyHarmony Member
    edited March 2023

@oplink said: arbone:

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-rack-1u4lw-x570-2l2t-amd-ryzen-5000-series-desktop-processors-amd-ryzen-4000-g-series-desktop/p/N82E16816775021
    $1259

Why would anyone buy this over some cheap chassis on Ebay like Supermicro 825 for $200 (or a 1 cheap 1U)

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

@Harmony said:

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-rack-1u4lw-x570-2l2t-amd-ryzen-5000-series-desktop-processors-amd-ryzen-4000-g-series-desktop/p/N82E16816775021
    $1259

Why would anyone buy this over some cheap chassis on Ebay like Supermicro 825 for $200

Depends on your needs... Of course there is always another way to do build a server. Building these Asrock and putting them in a supercmicro case requires a few hacks sometimes to get working 100%. Time is money. You can also get the non 10g NIC version and save money:
    https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=50128228 100283189 600012596 601350504 601349241&Manufactory=128228

Also if you decide not to use an ASROCK server board the airflow and arrangement of things on the board sucks when putting them in a 1U server case. Supermicro still has yet to make an AM4 socket motherboard. And no1 else besides ASrock has one with IPMI

• If you're on a budget the $600 odd saving seems worth the hassle.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@oplink said:

@Harmony said:

$1259

Why would anyone buy this over some cheap chassis on Ebay like Supermicro 825 for $200

Depends on your needs... Of course there is always another way to do build a server. Building these Asrock and putting them in a supercmicro case requires a few hacks sometimes to get working 100%. Time is money. You can also get the non 10g NIC version and save money:
    https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=50128228 100283189 600012596 601350504 601349241&Manufactory=128228

Also if you decide not to use an ASROCK server board the airflow and arrangement of things on the board sucks when putting them in a 1U server case. Supermicro still has yet to make an AM4 socket motherboard. And no1 else besides ASrock has one with IPMI

I wish Supermicro would make an AM4 board. but I understand why.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@oplink said:

@Harmony said:

$1259

Read on homelab discord that they will be making one for AM5 anyone confirm?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Harmony said:

$1259

Why would anyone buy this over some cheap chassis on Ebay like Supermicro 825 for $200 (or a 1 cheap 1U)

Example please? The barebore cost is the issue for us. Makes it waaaay too expensive.

@MikePT said:

@Harmony said:

$1259

Example please? The barebore cost is the issue for us. Makes it waaaay too expensive.

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-rack-1u2lw-x570-supports-amd-ryzen-5000-and-3000-series-desktop-processors-amd-ryzen-4000-an/p/N82E16816775075?Item=N82E16816775075&quicklink=true

There is no better option that I am aware of... You can price out the board + case + power supply + heatsink and your gonna be around the same price.

Note that board does not have 10g NIC

Thanked by 1MikePT

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@oplink said:

@Harmony said:

$1259

I know.... Asrock is too hard to find in stock, plus there QC issues annoy me

@oplink said:

@MikePT said:

@Harmony said:

$1259

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-rack-1u2lw-x570-supports-amd-ryzen-5000-and-3000-series-desktop-processors-amd-ryzen-4000-an/p/N82E16816775075?Item=N82E16816775075&quicklink=true

There is no better option that I am aware of... You can price out the board + case + power supply + heatsink and your gonna be around the same price.

That's crazy for a barebone... We are interested in doing collocation but damn, 1.2k for a barebone is too much. The ROI is giant.

That is an entire barebones setup, not just a chassis.

@Harmony said:
    If you're on a budget the $600 odd saving seems worth the hassle.

As far as I know, nobody besides Asrock has an IPMI capable AM4 board. Gigabyte supposedly too, but I've almost never seen them actually available and in-stock. You also get into situations with the cooling not being perfectly aligned or the shroud not fitting anything but the specific combination/chassis it was designed for and that stuff makes a huge difference when we're talking >105W CPU in a 1U chassis.

You can buy the board separately but every time I've looked in the past it usually made sense to get the entire chassis (he can also go for the much cheaper non-4 bay X470 version too, $650ish new I think). Because he is looking to colo, $600 can be wiped out real quick if you have any sort of issues with hardware and require remote hands. If you're going used, being able to build/test it yourself (and then ship it to colo--$$$) is a must and having IPMI is a life-saver (and imo, a must as well) unless your colo is going to give you KVM access for free on-demand in a reasonable timeframe.

@oplink said:

I think @oplink gave a solid list, and from lots of headaches and learning lessons the hard way it's how I would go if I were to colocate a Ryzen 5950X.

@MikePT said:
    That's crazy for a barebone... We are interested in doing collocation but damn, 1.2k for a barebone is too much. The ROI is giant.

Depending on your disk needs, check out the non-4 bay version with the slightly older chipset. It's half the price. If you need 10G, plenty of very inexpensive Intel SFP+ available for that riser :)

Thanked by 1MikePT
    edited March 2023

@crunchbits said:
    That is an entire barebones setup, not just a chassis.

@Harmony said:
    If you're on a budget the $600 odd saving seems worth the hassle.

As far as I know, nobody besides Asrock has an IPMI capable AM4 board. Gigabyte supposedly too, but I've almost never seen them actually available and in-stock. You also get into situations with the cooling not being perfectly aligned or the shroud not fitting anything but the specific combination/chassis it was designed for and that stuff makes a huge difference when we're talking >105W CPU in a 1U chassis.

You can buy the board separately but every time I've looked in the past it usually made sense to get the entire chassis (he can also go for the much cheaper non-4 bay X470 version too, $650ish new I think). Because he is looking to colo, $600 can be wiped out real quick if you have any sort of issues with hardware and require remote hands. If you're going used, being able to build/test it yourself (and then ship it to colo--$$$) is a must and having IPMI is a life-saver (and imo, a must as well) unless your colo is going to give you KVM access for free on-demand in a reasonable timeframe.

@oplink said:

I think @oplink gave a solid list, and from lots of headaches and learning lessons the hard way it's how I would go if I were to colocate a Ryzen 5950X.

@MikePT said:

Depending on your disk needs, check out the non-4 bay version with the slightly older chipset. It's half the price. If you need 10G, plenty of very inexpensive Intel SFP+ available for that riser :)

The X470 seems to have plenty of issues unless I heard it wrong. We just need 4x2.5 or 2x m2.. Btw, how are some providers able to load 4 NVMes if there are only 2 slots?

@MikePT said:

The X470 seems to have plenty of issues unless I heard it wrong. We just need 4x2.5 or 2x m2.. Btw, how are some providers able to load 4 NVMes if there are only 2 slots?

That might be related to old bios/firmware? I am honestly unaware--I run both chipsets in fairly large quantities and have no issues with either. Standard procedure has been to use high quality thermal paste (always) and use proper QVL memory and just avoid hours and hours wasted.

There are a few tips/tricks for getting more NVMe's all depends on number of PCIe slots, m.2 slots, bay availability (or lack of), etc. A juggling act of resources/ports/etc. Feel free to PM or message on discord I can share a bunch of options we've tested.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@crunchbits said:

@MikePT said:

That might be related to old bios/firmware? I am honestly unaware--I run both chipsets in fairly large quantities and have no issues with either. Standard procedure has been to use high quality thermal paste (always) and use proper QVL memory and just avoid hours and hours wasted.

There are a few tips/tricks for getting more NVMe's all depends on number of PCIe slots, m.2 slots, bay availability (or lack of), etc. A juggling act of resources/ports/etc. Feel free to PM or message on discord I can share a bunch of options we've tested.

Hey there

Thank you for your help here. I am definitely not too experienced in the hardware sector, but given the fact that we want to invest in colocating in Portugal, we're looking at the options for affordable hardware plus Ryzen CPUs. The barebone pricing is still crazy scary to say the least. Granted, the CPUs rock, but damn, 1.2k for the barebone alone... 😁

• HarmonyHarmony Member
    edited March 2023

I would just grab a Supermicro 825/6 cheap $150 buy some rails $50 and slap in a cheap 10g low profile card like SolarFlare SFN7002F (take a risk with it being compatible) $20 instead, giving you a big saving and dual PSU but 2U instead of 1U

Total $1,791 instead of the above $2730