Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone know whose Philippine VPS is the IP of ISP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• Not to be that guy but being an English forum shouldn't all users have English usernames?

• @HalfEatenPie said:
    Not to be that guy but being an English forum shouldn't all users have English usernames?

This is chinese , “ 黑大帅” in english is “ black eggplant”

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited March 2023

@yanling said:

@HalfEatenPie said:
    Not to be that guy but being an English forum shouldn't all users have English usernames?

I know it's Chinese. What I'm saying is that usernames should (from my understanding of the rules) be in English. Not Chinese.

Although black eggplant... lol

Thanked by 1bdl
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@黑大帅 said:

Does anyone know any Philippine VPS providers? :)

Thanked by 1noisycode
  • If you're looking for Philippine VPS, there's @LightNode and CloudSigma .

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @jcolideles said:
    If you're looking for Philippine VPS, there's @LightNode and CloudSigma .

I've used both of them, the first server doesn't work, the second doesn't work for bulk purchases

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • ralfralf Member

@yanling said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

Is this dialect? To me it seems like it should mean "corrupt head honcho" (assuming a metaphorical meaning of 黑).

But anyway, this discussion about usernames cropped up before about a year ago and many people pointed out that many users have non-English names even if they are written with standard Latin characters.

TBH, I don't see the problem - even if you can't type the name, you can copy and paste it. If it was transliterated into pinyin, you wouldn't necessarily know how to pronounce it accurately, although in this case it'd be obvious.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited March 2023

@ralf said:
    TBH, I don't see the problem - even if you can't type the name, you can copy and paste it. If it was transliterated into pinyin, you wouldn't necessarily know how to pronounce it accurately, although in this case it'd be obvious.

I thought that in general, a transliteration into Pinyin gives a much better idea (than the characters) about how to pronounce a word or phrase

• ralfralf Member

@angstrom said:

@ralf said:

I thought that in general, a transliteration into Pinyin gives a much better idea (than the characters) about how to pronounce a word or phrase

It's complicated really... The main issue is that every character has a tone as well as a pronounciation, which is often added as an accent, sometimes as a number, and often just completely ignored.

If it had accents in it, people would complain just as much: hēidàshuài
    If it had numbers, it would cause even more confusion to people who don't understand pinyin: hei1da4shuai4
    And if it's missing, it's not obvious what tones to use: heidashuai (except in this case, there's only one obvious way of pronouncing this)

One of my bugbears about road signs in China is they usually go for the last solution, which means that even if you can read pinyin, you still might not be able to make yourself understood if asking someone directions to that road.

One example of this is that there are 2 provinces in China whose pinyin is Shanxi - 山西 and 陕西. They sound different, and to make life easier for non Chinese speakers, one is officially spelled as Shaanxi in English, but that's not actually correct pinyin as that would decompose to 3 phonemes - sha an xi. There's also some other ambiguity in pinyin within compound words, e.g. the city 西安 as spelled as Xi'an in pinyin to distinguish it from the single phoneme xian.

If you can read Chinese characters, even if it's a character you've not seen before, there are often enough hints in the character itself that allow you to guess what the pronunciation might be because most characters are made up by combining two other characters, and usually one of them provides the phonetic component.

• CloudSigma is by far the better choice for Philippines. The cheapest also

• @hyena56 said:
    CloudSigma is by far the better choice for Philippines. The cheapest also

Thank you, I bought a lot of machines from his family, but when I buy one, I have to re-register an account, which is too troublesome

I purchased 8 VPS, and I have 8 accounts 。。。。。。。。。

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @ralf said:

@angstrom said:

@ralf said:

It's complicated really... The main issue is that every character has a tone as well as a pronounciation, which is often added as an accent, sometimes as a number, and often just completely ignored.

If it had accents in it, people would complain just as much: hēidàshuài
    If it had numbers, it would cause even more confusion to people who don't understand pinyin: hei1da4shuai4
    And if it's missing, it's not obvious what tones to use: heidashuai (except in this case, there's only one obvious way of pronouncing this)

One of my bugbears about road signs in China is they usually go for the last solution, which means that even if you can read pinyin, you still might not be able to make yourself understood if asking someone directions to that road.

One example of this is that there are 2 provinces in China whose pinyin is Shanxi - 山西 and 陕西. They sound different, and to make life easier for non Chinese speakers, one is officially spelled as Shaanxi in English, but that's not actually correct pinyin as that would decompose to 3 phonemes - sha an xi. There's also some other ambiguity in pinyin within compound words, e.g. the city 西安 as spelled as Xi'an in pinyin to distinguish it from the single phoneme xian.

If you can read Chinese characters, even if it's a character you've not seen before, there are often enough hints in the character itself that allow you to guess what the pronunciation might be because most characters are made up by combining two other characters, and usually one of them provides the phonetic component.

That was unexpectedly interesting, thanks for sharing that :)

• The end is... you know... nigh?

• siam.digital

Thanked by 1kasodk