Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Guess I Need to Replace Amazon SES Because I Can't Pay My Bill. Recommendations?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I Guess I Need to Replace Amazon SES Because I Can't Pay My Bill. Recommendations?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Been using Amazon SES for a long time.

Last month, I had a script go wild and sent a few thousand emails to myself. No biggie, but it did push my Amazon SES bill over the free limit. I think I owe $5 or something like that.

I went to pay, but after logging in, authenticating, typing codes, answering captchas, etc. I finally got to "your account has been locked".

Hilariously, I called the 1-800 number and the Amazon guy said "huh, that's weird, well, i can't help you but the people at this number can".

The number he gave me? 1-206-266-1000. Amazon world headquarters. They were about as helpful as you'd expect.

So I guess I can't pay my bill. Oh well.

But now I need to find another drop-in for sending email from scripts...recommendations?

Comments

• mail.baby

Thanked by 2FatGrizzly bruh21
  • emghemgh Member
    edited March 2023

I’d make sure to pay up, you never know when they might come running with debt collectors that want those $5 plus 10 years worth of interest.

As for the mailing, afraid of signing up paying per email in-case my scripts go rouge, I set up a BuyVM instance for $3.5 (and $0.5 extra for backups) with mailcow, I don’t self-host my emails, but I use it for stuff like this. I like that it’s $4 no matter what.

But when it comes to online and money I’m very careful, that’s why I use BuyVM and not some company charging huge bandwidth overages in case something happends or I get DDoS attacked ..

Thanked by 1greentea
  • greenteagreentea Member
    edited March 2023

@emgh said:
    I’d make sure to pay up, you never know when they might come running with debt collectors that want those $5 plus 10 years worth of interest.

I might have just been lucky, but I left a bill unpaid with AWS for close to two years and all they did was lock my account.

I needed to use their service again and ended up forking over the $8 I owed and they unlocked it.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Either get lifetime shared hosting from myw or smtp2go is free for, I think, 1000 emails/mo.

I use the DirectAdmin api to one line add new email accounts per usage.

Smtp2go is used where email client is old or shitty.

• +1 for mail.baby

• Why not send the email directly from the VPS?

• @varwww said:
    Why not send the email directly from the VPS?

That's not AWSThink. If you're using ec2 as a traditional VPS on you're already flunking AWSThink

• emghemgh Member
    edited March 2023

@greentea said: I might have just been lucky, but I left a bill unpaid with AWS for close to two years and all they did was lock my account.

Or they would have used the situation, keep the record, and come in 8 years with their interest.

• @lanefu said:

@varwww said:
    Why not send the email directly from the VPS?

That's not AWSThink. If you're using ec2 as a traditional VPS on you're already flunking AWSThink

lmao. wtf is AWSThink? Some exam? I don't think raindog is using ec2? From OP I thought he's using AWS only for email?

• wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

@Hotmarer said:
    mail.baby

I find a significant amount of emails get spam boxed when originating from mailbaby. It's quite a shame.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@varwww said: I don't think raindog is using ec2? From OP I thought he's using AWS only for email?

Correct.

I don't use fly-night-providers who don't have a Patron Provider tag.

Thanked by 2varwww lanefu
  • @varwww said:

lmao. wtf is AWSThink? Some exam? I don't think raindog is using ec2? From OP I thought he's using AWS only for email?

It's a reality distortion field where you daisy chain more and more AWS services into a rube Goldberg device that's challenging to trace while you scream time-to-market-lower-TCO-webscale while your bill moves north when all you really needed was a sane sysadmin.

....although I guess sysadmin can be expensive

So lower TCO webscale time-to-market!

Thanked by 1varwww
  • @lanefu said:

@varwww said:

It's a reality distortion field where you daisy chain more and more AWS services into a rube Goldberg device that's challenging to trace while you scream time-to-market-lower-TCO-webscale while your bill moves north when all you really needed was a sane sysadmin.

so basically this

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @varwww said:

@lanefu said:

@varwww said:

so basically this

Nope still too sane for AWSThink but you're kicking the tires now. Full async event driven no persistent services. Just a bunch of "managed services" glued together with s3, SQS, SNS, Lambdas and step functions. Only pay for the milliseconds you use! Make latency great again.

Thanked by 2varwww raindog308
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider
  • I think @raindog308 should open a onlyfans so they can pay their bills.

• @CheepCluck said:
    I think @raindog308 should open a onlyfans so they can pay their bills.

Yep! I would love to see him in doggy style :tongue:

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@BingoBongo said:

@CheepCluck said:
    I think @raindog308 should open a onlyfans so they can pay their bills.

Yep! I would love to see him in doggy style :tongue:

"Make it rain..."

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

I use the included mailchannels on my $8 buyshared plan, plus my legacy MXRoute subscription.

Works fine for low volume stuff that I just want to make sure gets delivered.

• Not as mature as others, but Scaleway has transactional email now.

https://www.scaleway.com/en/docs/managed-services/transactional-email/quickstart/

Bit more expensive then AWS, but does work.