Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help in understanding network problems: tcp packet loss without icmp packet loss
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help in understanding network problems: tcp packet loss without icmp packet loss

OhJohnOhJohn Member
edited March 2023 in Help

So for nearly a day I had huge problems between OVH APAC and Hetzner Europe networks.

On a tcp level (layer 4 in osi) I had like ~40% packet loss but no packet loss on layer 3.

Only OVHs APAC locations where affected, no other OVH locations (e.g. Europe or North America).

OVH APAC to OVH Europe was fine. OVH Europe etc. to Hetzner was fine.

But OVH APAC (Singapore and Sydney DCs) to Hetzner showed packet loss starting after the handover in Frankfurt between OVH and Hetzner (APAC->Europe direction) as well as between Telstra Global and OVH APAC in the Europe->APAC direction.

So if I do have those packet losses on tcp but not on icmp, did I hit some firewall or ddos mitigation between ASNs that probably worked on blocking a subnet (OVH APC 139.XXX....) but not other ranges?

Other servers in APAC region (that are not on OVHs network) did not had any problems.

The problem started yesterday (March 6th) at about 14:25 UTC and stopped today at about 8:00 UTC on all OVH APAC servers. Routes from OVH APAC to other regions (e.g. North America) or other providers in Europe were not affected. Routes from OVH data centers in Europe or North America to Hetzner in Europe were not affected even if they went through the same hops/handovers in Frankfurt.

So with this constellation I'm even unsure if I should have opened a ticket with OVH (APAC) or with Hetzner? Both did not report any incidents and the problem existed only between those two but no other providers.