Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any speedy alternative to NextCloud for Office documents editing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any speedy alternative to NextCloud for Office documents editing?

seenuseenu Member

Hello,

NextCloud has NextCloud office with Collabora but when 2 or more users login and try to use it...it is becoming dead slow...tried on multiple vps...same issue.

can anyone recommend any other alternative? we only need online office with user management (most other features of nextcloud are not needed)

thanks.

Comments

• tjntjn Member

What specs were the multiple VPS' you tried?
    How are you running NextCloud? Docker?

Thanked by 1seenu
  • seenuseenu Member

all VPS are ryzen with 2-4 cores and 4-8GB RAM

in one instance i tried docker but since i need to setup domain aswell...i decided to do it in normal way with apache/nginx

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited March 2023

self hosted https://cryptpad.org/
    it includes OnlyOffice and is end to end encrypted

supports collaboration etc.

• sreekanth850sreekanth850 Member
    edited March 2023

How much users, we have been using 0365 at 1.5 USD per user per month (Special price for India), with 1 TB storage per user and sharepoint, one drive and web apps. Checked multiple items but nothing comes closer to this.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@sreekanth850 said:
    How much users, we have been using 0365 at 1.5 USD per user per month (Special price for India), with 1 TB storage per user and sharepoint, one drive and web apps. Checked multiple items but nothing comes closer to this.

been using 0365 with 1TB storage per user for free via this long time ago(https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/6etcmq/office_365_business_essentials_engineering/).

I cancelled my sub, and just using this now, good for 10 users.

• seenuseenu Member

thanks but i doubt that has any user management

Thanks for this, i think this suits our needs.

@sreekanth850 said: How much users, we have been using 0365 at 1.5 USD per user per month (Special price for India), with 1 TB storage per user and sharepoint, one drive and web apps. Checked multiple items but nothing comes closer to this.

Thanks but We need self hosted, web based solution...thats why opting for open source solutions.

• loayloay Member

@seenu said: self hosted, web based solution

There is no good alternative actually.

Thanked by 1seenu

@seenu said:

thanks but i doubt that has any user management

Thanks for this, i think this suits our needs.

@sreekanth850 said: How much users, we have been using 0365 at 1.5 USD per user per month (Special price for India), with 1 TB storage per user and sharepoint, one drive and web apps. Checked multiple items but nothing comes closer to this.

Thanks but We need self hosted, web based solution...thats why opting for open source solutions.

web based is possible, self hosted is tough. As sreekanth said, o365 has been good for me and him.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • tjntjn Member

@seenu said:
    all VPS are ryzen with 2-4 cores and 4-8GB RAM

in one instance i tried docker but since i need to setup domain aswell...i decided to do it in normal way with apache/nginx

It should be fine if 2 users are using it at the same time with those specs.
    There's probably something wrong with your config.

You can still use domains with docker.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • seenuseenu Member

@FatGrizzly said: web based is possible, self hosted is tough. As sreekanth said, o365 has been good for me and him.

Yeah...learning it now but unfortunately that is our requirement.

@tjn said: It should be fine if 2 users are using it at the same time with those specs.

There's probably something wrong with your config.

You can still use domains with docker.

its a new instance so i don't know why it is damn slow for just 2 users.

Also can you point any guide to use domains with docker?

thanks.

• alt_alt_ Member
    edited March 2023

Get a office 365 may work much better and it may have lower price than your 4c8g vps.

• seenuseenu Member

@alt_ said: Get a office 365 may work much better and it may have lower price than your 4c8g vps.

like i said above...its not about price but privacy (its complicated office issue) so we can't use o365 and should opt for self hosted only.

• alt_alt_ Member

@seenu said:

@alt_ said: Get a office 365 may work much better and it may have lower price than your 4c8g vps.

like i said above...its not about price but privacy (its complicated office issue) so we can't use o365 and should opt for self hosted only.

Oh, I misread it. Hetzner has nice nextcloud plane. Check this out: https://hetzner.com/storage/storage-share

• seenuseenu Member

@alt_ said:

@seenu said:

Oh, I misread it. Hetzner has nice nextcloud plane. Check this out: https://hetzner.com/storage/storage-share

Thanks for the link, looks promising :)

hope their hardware is good enough.

• alt_alt_ Member
    edited March 2023

@seenu said:

@alt_ said:

@seenu said:

Thanks for the link, looks promising :)

hope their hardware is good enough.

I’m sure yes. Also use my aff to get free 20 euros credit.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • sreekanth850sreekanth850 Member
    edited March 2023

@FatGrizzly said:

@sreekanth850 said:

been using 0365 with 1TB storage per user for free via this long time ago(https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/6etcmq/office_365_business_essentials_engineering/).

Is this for One year or perpetual that renews yearly, i had activated this and cancelled my existing subscription. let's see what happens. Thank you for the tip.

@sreekanth850 said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@sreekanth850 said:

Is this for One year or perpetual that renews yearly, i had activated this and cancelled my existing subscription. let's see what happens. Thank you for the tip.

It renews automatically yearly for me.

• @FatGrizzly said:

@sreekanth850 said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@sreekanth850 said:

It renews automatically yearly for me.

Thats great.