Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Terrahost new plans with limited bandwidth speed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Terrahost new plans with limited bandwidth speed

nqservicesnqservices Member
edited March 2023 in General

Hi,

Was going to buy a terrahost VPS, when noticed that now they have new plans with limited bandwidth speed: https://terrahost.com/virtual-servers

The cheaper plan 1 CPU/2GB RAM only comes with 100Mbps bandwidth speed.

Disapointing for a provider with such powerfull VPSs and 10 Gigabit Network.

For me this is a deal breaker.

Note: should have keeped a VPS I once had there... since I think "old" plans keep their specs.

Comments

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

The pricing has decreased for the new plans, however: https://web.archive.org/web/20230215040702/https://terrahost.com/virtual-servers

• nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited March 2023

@MannDude said:
    The pricing has decreased for the new plans, however: https://web.archive.org/web/20230215040702/https://terrahost.com/virtual-servers

Well spoted. Did not noticed that.

Regarding the network speed, I do not need 10Gbps... but also not 100Mbps.

Nowadays, maybe 500Mbps minimun to be the sweet spot.

On the other hand, if this is the only way they can control the quality of their network, maybe is the way to go.

• Ouch, does this apply to existing plans?

• conceptconcept Member
    edited March 2023

Oh wow, I was just looking it at yesterday. Seems they just changed it. I guess it has become too costly to still offer unmetered 10gbit. Terrahost has become such a popular provider for Tor Relay hosting because of its network and pretty much unmetered bandwidth. When I used it, I could easily do over 200TB/m with Tor Relay hosting

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

@fluffernutter said:
    Ouch, does this apply to existing plans?

Most likely not.

• @fluffernutter said:

I logged into my Terrahost account, there seems to be no announcement on it.

• Now I worried about my cheap package :D
    And 50TB package

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@concept said:
    Oh wow, I was just looking it at yesterday. Seems they just changed it. I guess it has become too costly to still offer unmetered 10gbit. Terrahost has become such a popular provider for Tor Relay hosting because of its network and pretty much unmetered bandwidth. When I used it, I could easily do over 200TB/m with Tor Relay hosting

It's always been Unmetered 1 Gbit because of their "fair use" policy.

Thanked by 1SeederKun
  • LeviLevi Member

Usually with port speed limit iops limit goes along. Soes anyone can yab those new plans? For website hosting 100mbps is more than enough.

• headline:

"With our NVMe SSD RAID protected storage and 10 gigabit network you can't go wrong with a virtual server based on KVM technology. Servers are delivered immediately after payment!"

smallest offer 100mbit ;)

• @fluffernutter said:

I don't think so. My existing server still says 1000 Mbps:

My server might be tied to a different configuration/product ID though, so not 100% certain.

@hyperblast said:
    headline:

"With our NVMe SSD RAID protected storage and 10 gigabit network you can't go wrong with a virtual server based on KVM technology. Servers are delivered immediately after payment!"

I mean, from what I understand they've only limited your bandwidth quota to be 100 mbit/s 95th percentile - at least based on how their panel lists bandwidth usage.

I'd assume all servers are still able to burst (up to) 10 gbit/s, but I could very well be wrong.

• Tagging @terrahost with an incentive - just because this topic is about a provider which is already represented on LET.

Thanked by 1SeederKun
  • @hyperblast said:
    headline:

I believe its 100Mbps 95th on 10Gbps port.

• @default said:

Ran a quick check on the existing VPS, just to be sure...

And the hardware still as strong as that girl on the video, and the networking is still as beautiful as the girl B) , with full 10G in both directions, using terrahost norway iperf3 server as the endpoint, all on a single (but 5950x) CPU core. Really, really excellent VPS.

Hopefully there are no surprises for existing plans, as that would be classified as a contract breach.

Thanked by 1SeederKun
  • @Decicus said: I don't think so. My existing server still says 1000 Mbps

Is this KVM or old LXC?

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

This does not apply to existing plans. There are no hard caps on either old or new plans, the "Port" spec of 10Gbps will be put back on our site. It was not supposed to be removed. This means you can still burst to 10G if needed for short periods of time.

Unfortunately, the old plans were heavily abused and that's why we needed to change them a little. Fortunately the plans are now tiered from $5/GB RAM go $3/GB RAM depending on the package, decremented by 25 cents by each tier.

To give you an example, we've had clients ordering 50 servers, putting 1Gbps on each of them, a total of 50Gbps for the price of $550. Since our nodes are 10G we were at a crossroad where something needed to change. Future nodes will probably get 100G NICs with beefier bandwidth :)

• @Mumbly said:

@Decicus said: I don't think so. My existing server still says 1000 Mbps

Is this KVM or old LXC?

KVM

Thanked by 1Mumbly