Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shoutout to greencloudvps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shoutout to greencloudvps

securersecurer Member
edited March 2023 in Providers

Okay, So I know that I posted something fishy about this provider but yesterday my site was suspended due to " bandwidth usage" which according to them was 12TB out of 8TB limit. It's weird because as per cloudflare my usage this month is just 1.1TB and my total usage as per my web control panel is about 1.5TB. I don't where the rest of the TB came from since the bandwidth monitor in there website is always saying zero. I just got suspended due to going over the bandwidth limit and without warning.

Anyways, this post is not to incriminate them. This post actually is for me to say how grateful I am with them. When I was using there vps, I have no issue with downtime and performance. It was more than what I am expecting. Also, when my VPS got suspended, I asked them if they can give me an hour or two to access my VPS to backup my files and db so I can move it to my other VPS since the bandwidth will reset on the 18th. They gladly gave me access to the VPS and was successfully backed up my files and db and restored it to another VPS.

Now, my site is backed up but it is not as fast as when I was with greencloud. But hey I guess I won't be having the same bandwidth issue with my current provider since they provide unmetered bandwidth in a 100mbps connection.

I am only running a forum and no downloads are allowed. Only avatar upload so I don't know how the heck I reach 12TB in less than a month. lol.

*I really hope they can fix the bandwidth monitoring and I hope I will not having the same problem once I decided to host another website from them. @NDTN

Thanked by 1JasonM

Comments

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited March 2023

I am not judging you but pay attention that both monitors you mentioned monitor just your domain traffic not IP traffic.
    In case your IP address was attacked, VPS compromised, or used for VPN/proxy or something... your webhosting panel most likely won't see that traffic.

• ralfralf Member

Try installing vnstat on your machines and you'll get a far better ideal of what bandwidth you're actually using.

Thanked by 2SeederKun greentea
  • @Mumbly said:
    I am not judging you but pay attention that both monitors you mentioned monitor just your domain traffic not IP traffic.
    In case your IP address was attacked, VPS compromised, or used for VPN/proxy or something... your webhosting panel most likely won't see that traffic.

Thank you for the feedback but I have a firewall that only accepts traffic from cloudflare and block everything else both incoming and outgoing. I only disable the firewall if I need to access and change something on the server itself and then turn it back on once im done.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@securer said: Thank you for the feedback but I have a firewall that only accepts traffic from cloudflare and block everything else both incoming and outgoing.

The firewall won't help you - the traffic is still counted towards your allowance, even if you block it on your VPS.

• @brueggus said:

@securer said: Thank you for the feedback but I have a firewall that only accepts traffic from cloudflare and block everything else both incoming and outgoing.

The firewall won't help you - the traffic is still counted towards your allowance, even if you block it on your VPS.

I should have felt a slow performance if I am using 12TB in less than 2 weeks. But the performance and the speed of my site is extraordinary. I don't think it is being attacked or compromised. I should have seen it in the log.

Plus, if it used to attack or being attacked or compromised then how can get access if everything is blocked except cf ip's?. Unless they get through cf security. 0day?

• ralfralf Member

@securer said:

@brueggus said:

I should have felt a slow performance if I am using 12TB in less than 2 weeks. But the performance and the speed of my site is extraordinary. I don't think it is being attacked or compromised. I should have seen it in the log.

Plus, if it used to attack or being attacked or compromised then how can get access if everything is blocked except cf ip's?. Unless they get through cf security. 0day?

If, for example, someone is bombarding your machine with UDP packets that your machine just rejects, you will still be consuming a lot of traffic, yet nothing will show up in your normal logs. Something like vnstat will show you how much traffic you're actually getting on the network interface.

Thanked by 2SeederKun ipguru
  • SeederKunSeederKun Member
    edited March 2023

using ip -s -h link show eth0 will also give you RX / TX for the public interface

• @SeederKun said:
    using ip -s -h link show eth0 will also give you RX / TX for the public interface

Not really human readable, but works.

Thanked by 1SeederKun
  • @Otus9051 said:

@SeederKun said:

Not really human readable, but works.

I am an alien :lol: the -h flag makes it human readable.

• thanks everyone. Knowing that they have a basic ddos plus an explicit deny from my side would prevent this kind of possible attacks. Guess im wrong :)

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@securer said: Okay, So I know that I posted something fishy about this provider but yesterday my site was suspended due to " bandwidth usage" which according to them was 12TB out of 8TB limit.

I thought that they had (rightly) canceled your VPS after your previous thread, so I'm surprised that there was still time enough for the question of bandwidth usage to arise ...

• @angstrom said:

@securer said: Okay, So I know that I posted something fishy about this provider but yesterday my site was suspended due to " bandwidth usage" which according to them was 12TB out of 8TB limit.

I thought that they had (rightly) canceled your VPS after your previous thread, so I'm surprised that there was still time enough for the question of bandwidth usage to arise ...

they didn't. I paid via crypto for them to waive the verification process.

• Where did you see greencloudvps's offers?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@hiphiphip0 said:
    Where did you see greencloudvps's offers?

https://greencloudvps.com/billing/store/premium-kvm-sale

Thanked by 1hiphiphip0