Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Why do some colocation provider charges for BGP session and IP announcement and some do not?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why do some colocation provider charges for BGP session and IP announcement and some do not?

Hello,

I was searching for a affordable colocation in germany, i have found that a few providers were asking for a Monthly Cost for BGP session as well as setup fee and only setup fee for IP announcement. while some provider does it for free. The monthly cost and setup fee is charged by mostly big providers, like i have talked to 23M they take charge for BGP session and IP announcement while i have talked to a few colo provider here they do it for free. Are there any special reason?

Another question is, like for example i buy a colocation and i pay monthly cost of BGP session and one time cost of IP announcement then after a few months i require another colocation in the same data center then do i have to pay for the BGP session and IP announcement again if i want to use the same ASN which was announced and the IPs from the same subnet which was announced?

I saw 23M, they do offer 250 Mbit/s bandwidth in their first plan. Is it enough for a virtualization server with AMD EPYC 7282 and 256 GB RAM? How would be speed? If i download a file then what speed may i get?

Thank you.

Comments

• tomletomle Member, LIR

Because they want to and can.
    Big guys can demand premium pricing.