Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Windows SSH client do you use? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What Windows SSH client do you use?

Comments

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

Mobaxterm

Thanked by 1harrison
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

WSL/OpenSSH

Thanked by 2harrison nick_
  • Windows Terminal and the standard OpenSSH client that comes with Windows.

Thanked by 1harrison
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2023

@skorupion said:

@Otus9051 said:

@skorupion said:
    Termius, as a student, I get it for FREE

FREE
    thats the spirit

after 2.5 years when I finish HS, i guess I'll need to master photoshop, or enroll in a non existant university

I graduated from university in 2012 but was getting student discounts for almost 10 years afterwards. Even after graduating, I had my uni email address until last year, when they implemented a policy stating that alumni can only keep their email account for one year before they're deleted. Previously we could keep them indefinitely.

Anything that just verified by email address was fine with it, since the email address format is identical for both current and former students. More and more things started moving to using single sign-on to verify enrollment status though, so that trick doesn't work as well any more.

• Mobaxterm

Thanked by 1harrison
  • +1 for Termius, I’m too lazy to import new keys and hosts on my devices and it’s free for students

Thanked by 1harrison
  • @Otus9051 said:

or termius (have pro)

may i allowed to ask your termius pro via dm :D :D

• Bitvise

Thanked by 1harrison
  • I've been using SecureCRT for something like 20 years, mixed with Putty when SecureCRT was not available, but lately I've been trying out Tabby and I'm surprised to say it has become my first choice. Ability to keep settings in sync across various devices and the really good keyboard shortcuts and nice themes makes it pleasant to work with.

Thanked by 2harrison jon617
  • I use Bitvise

Thanked by 1harrison
  • UmutUmut Member
    Thanked by 1harrison
  • PuTTY and I have the Secure Shell Chrome Extension for my Chromebook, so sometimes I just use it on Windows too.

But, based on these comments, I apparently need to try Termius...

• ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited March 2023

WSL/OpenSSH or just the normal SSH client on windows CLI.

Termius is good, but its Electron so it takes forever to launch and uses too much ram.

• PuTTY on Windows and Terminal on macOS.

Thanked by 1emg
  • 2pm2pm Member

I don't think WinSCP is a ssh client.

• Tabby

• warihwarih Member

Xshell7 NetSarang

• termius.

• bitvise

• https://sysprogs.com/SmarTTY/

Among different multi-tabbed PuTTY alternatives I'm unsure why there's still no mention of SmarTTY SSH client:
    SmarTTY SSH client (multi-tabbed terminal)

• seenuseenu Member

Interesting options!

I am using Babun for years as it has built in oh-my-zsh etc goodies but it is not in development anymore.

tried other ones like cmder but auto-complete sucks, babun has oh-my-zsh which i absolutely love (my first wget in any new vps)

i gotta try Termius, which is looking very good

• mRemoteNG because it let me save passwords. Apparently that is bad and I should be using ssh keys, lol.

• MobaXterm

• umzumz Member

kiTTY

• EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider

PuTTY and sometimes Windows PowerShell

• TrKTrK Member

Powershell and bitvise.

• Bitvise

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Tabby

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited March 2023

SecureCRT because:

• I hate Electron
    • It feels like a real terminal in terms of input lag and speed, no tradeoff of latency for rendering performance or vice-versa. Can't beat a well optimised CPU renderer - feels like the Notepad++ of terminals
    • Can't live without my command shortcut bar for when my hand is on the mouse and I can't be bothered to type
    • I don't like the paradigm in most SSH setups I've seen (windows terminal, tabby, any linux GUI, etc) where each tab is a dumb terminal that just happens to be hosting an SSH client process. I want an icon on each tab showing whether it is (still) connected, tabs remembered between sessions, a hotkey to reconnect all tabs, etc. They should be like browser tabs, not local terminal tabs
    Thanked by 1harrison
  • alt_alt_ Member

XShell / Termius