Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can I get an Oracle lifetime free vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can I get an Oracle lifetime free vps?

How can I get an Oracle lifetime free vps? I used a foreign currency bank card to apply in mainland China. From last year to now, I can’t remember how many times I applied for it, but I didn’t succeed. The error prompted is A..B ..C.. three reasons

Comments

• neohneoh Member
    edited February 2023

@smiths said: The error prompted is A..B ..C.. three reasons

def no doubt :)

• congrats for your 2nd thread

• @smiths said:
    How can I get an Oracle lifetime free vps? I used a foreign currency bank card to apply in mainland China. From last year to now, I can’t remember how many times I applied for it, but I didn’t succeed. The error prompted is A..B ..C.. three reasons

Try more times.

I don't remember what time I tried, but it worked.

• emgemg Veteran

I live in the US with a local US phone number and credit card from a US bank. It took a week to successfully sign up for an Oracle Cloud Free Tier account. Each step was difficult and required repeating more than once. Even when Oracle says that they sent an email with the next step, it does not always happen. Whatever step you think you have succeeded ... disappears.

My advice is wait 24 hours if you believe that a step has been successful (like the email address confirmation step). Oracle has a webpage that lets you check to see which accounts are active for a given email address. Find it and you can check to see if you were successful. To do that, you must get through the initial email confirmation step, which took me several days to succeed. Sometimes I did not receive the expected email to confirm. Other times I received the email, clicked on the link, and saw the acknowledgement web page, but could not proceed to the next step, so I waited 24 hours (still no success) and then started the email confirmation again.

Even when I saw the "success, please wait 15 minutes for us to prepare your account, you will receive an email with the account information" message, the email never arrived, and checking the email address for an active account showed no account. I waited 24 hours, checked again, and still no account. I started over at the beginning again and eventually succeeded.

All is not great once you have an account. If you try to create an "instance" (basically, a VPS) in the free tier, Oracle Cloud usually fails, saying "out of capacity" or "an unexpected error has occurred."

I have tried for many days to create an ARM-based instance, since the middle of last week. All three "availability domains" in the US West (Phoenix) region are out of capacity. They are always out of capacity. Clearly Oracle is not keeping up with demand. I feel for the people at Oracle who have been given the task to build out sufficient capacity to service the high demand that their bosses should have anticipated better.

In my opinion, Oracle Cloud Free Tier has not been worth the effort, other than as a valuable (and painful) learning experience. I read that idle instances are deleted without warning, so you must keep your instances active, like a Tamagotchi pet, or you may lose them. It is too much trouble for me, and I will probably give up soon. Frankly, the Oracle Cloud Free Tier experience that I have had so far is not much better than a LowEndTalk summer host. :-(

Hopefully Oracle paid customers receive better service and support. Free customers have no right to complain, but the unreliability of the entire experience does not leave me eager to recommend Oracle Cloud to my customers and friends. As a marketing tool, Oracle Cloud Free Tier may not work out as well as expected for Oracle.

Good luck with your effort to sign up, but be careful what you wish for. If you succeed, you may be disappointed with the results anyway. Speaking for myself, I am doing better with LowEnd VPSs for a few dollars a month. Unless something changes, Oracle Cloud Free Tier is not worth the effort to me.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Try Chinese mainland currency bank card if you are applying from china mainland

• @emg said:
    I live in the US with a local US phone number and credit card from a US bank. It took a week to successfully sign up for an Oracle Cloud Free Tier account. Each step was difficult and required repeating more than once. Even when Oracle says that they sent an email with the next step, it does not always happen. Whatever step you think you have succeeded ... disappears.

My advice is wait 24 hours if you believe that a step has been successful (like the email address confirmation step). Oracle has a webpage that lets you check to see which accounts are active for a given email address. Find it and you can check to see if you were successful. To do that, you must get through the initial email confirmation step, which took me several days to succeed. Sometimes I did not receive the expected email to confirm. Other times I received the email, clicked on the link, and saw the acknowledgement web page, but could not proceed to the next step, so I waited 24 hours (still no success) and then started the email confirmation again.

Even when I saw the "success, please wait 15 minutes for us to prepare your account, you will receive an email with the account information" message, the email never arrived, and checking the email address for an active account showed no account. I waited 24 hours, checked again, and still no account. I started over at the beginning again and eventually succeeded.

All is not great once you have an account. If you try to create an "instance" (basically, a VPS) in the free tier, Oracle Cloud usually fails, saying "out of capacity" or "an unexpected error has occurred."

I have tried for many days to create an ARM-based instance, since the middle of last week. All three "availability domains" in the US West (Phoenix) region are out of capacity. They are always out of capacity. Clearly Oracle is not keeping up with demand. I feel for the people at Oracle who have been given the task to build out sufficient capacity to service the high demand that their bosses should have anticipated better.

In my opinion, Oracle Cloud Free Tier has not been worth the effort, other than as a valuable (and painful) learning experience. I read that idle instances are deleted without warning, so you must keep your instances active, like a Tamagotchi pet, or you may lose them. It is too much trouble for me, and I will probably give up soon. Frankly, the Oracle Cloud Free Tier experience that I have had so far is not much better than a LowEndTalk summer host. :-(

Hopefully Oracle paid customers receive better service and support. Free customers have no right to complain, but the unreliability of the entire experience does not leave me eager to recommend Oracle Cloud to my customers and friends. As a marketing tool, Oracle Cloud Free Tier may not work out as well as expected for Oracle.

Good luck with your effort to sign up, but be careful what you wish for. If you succeed, you may be disappointed with the results anyway. Speaking for myself, I am doing better with LowEnd VPSs for a few dollars a month. Unless something changes, Oracle Cloud Free Tier is not worth the effort to me.

Thank you very much for your suggestion, knowing your experience, I do not intend to apply again,

• @jmaxwell said:
    Try Chinese mainland currency bank card if you are applying from china mainland

Thank you for your suggestion, I am not going to apply again

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@emg said: In my opinion, Oracle Cloud Free Tier has not been worth the effort, other than as a valuable (and painful) learning experience. I read that idle instances are deleted without warning, so you must keep your instances active, like a Tamagotchi pet, or you may lose them. It is too much trouble for me, and I will probably give up soon. Frankly, the Oracle Cloud Free Tier experience that I have had so far is not much better than a LowEndTalk summer host. :-(

I feel like its just a few locations, the special or hot locations.

I am running my arm box for over an year now, 0 downtime. I upgraded to a PAYG account to avoid the idle notices, and it works great, and with my PAYG account I can contact support and open SR's whenever necessary too.

Oracle was way different when my dad signed up on behalf of a company(corp), my dad and a sales rep had a back and front email conversation. the tenancy got 500$
    worth of credits to test, and a special meeting with a few other sales rep to better promote oracle's service. I was astonished to see the level of hospitality. They finally went to purchase a few instance for oracle weblogic suite and 2x 1 tb oracle 19c databases.

From my dad's experience, oracle has been great for him, with the quality of support he gets, it works out, and the costs of running has significantly reduced since the DB and suite was running on-premises, it costed so much to maintain a server, with a 5tb SAN.

He told me, it was worth the pain of signing up.(the company card got declined a few times)

• emgemg Veteran

@FatGrizzly said:

I am running my arm box for over an year now, 0 downtime. I upgraded to a PAYG account to avoid the idle notices, and it works great, and with my PAYG account I can contact support and open SR's whenever necessary too.

Oracle was way different when my dad signed up on behalf of a company(corp), my dad and a sales rep had a back and front email conversation. the tenancy got 500$
    worth of credits to test, and a special meeting with a few other sales rep to better promote oracle's service. I was astonished to see the level of hospitality. They finally went to purchase a few instance for oracle weblogic suite and 2x 1 tb oracle 19c databases.

From my dad's experience, oracle has been great for him, with the quality of support he gets, it works out, and the costs of running has significantly reduced since the DB and suite was running on-premises, it costed so much to maintain a server, with a 5tb SAN.

He told me, it was worth the pain of signing up.(the company card got declined a few times)

My experience may be an outlier, but I have seen and heard similar reports. I am pleased to hear that you have a working instance. I note that you signed up much earlier than me. By the time I learned about it, word had spread, and I bet that more people are interested in VPSs today than a year ago.

A few days after I successfully signed up, I received email from an Oracle rep. I replied with similar comments to the one I posted. They were quick to respond, supportive, and helpful. They did acknowledge the capacity shortage and said that Oracle is dealing with unprecedented demand and working on the issue.

Based on your dad's experience, I am pleased to hear that paid accounts do better.

I am currently running two instances on AMD - one Oracle Linux and the other Ubuntu. The problem with the AMD instances is that they come with only a single core and 1 Gbyte RAM. If you can get one, the ARM instances default to 1 core and 6 Gbytes RAM, but you can change that. I tried for 2 cores and 12 Gbytes, with no more success than 1 and 6. The free tier limit is 4 cores and 24 Gbytes, but they can be spread between several instances.

Hint: To find the free tier AMD instance, click on "Specialty and previous generation."

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

You guys have a lot of patience. I gave up after the first try, being from Romania I am denied service for paid products too, so I had no hope. I still have close to none, but I think it is not worth trying.

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited February 2023

@emg said: I live in the US with a local US phone number and credit card from a US bank.

exactly. it needs 2-3 times to get into that free tier.

• Even if you manage to get one, to make it last a lifetime you need to have a very short lifetime

edited February 2023

@emg said:

@FatGrizzly said:

My experience may be an outlier, but I have seen and heard similar reports. I am pleased to hear that you have a working instance. I note that you signed up much earlier than me. By the time I learned about it, word had spread, and I bet that more people are interested in VPSs today than a year ago.

A few days after I successfully signed up, I received email from an Oracle rep. I replied with similar comments to the one I posted. They were quick to respond, supportive, and helpful. They did acknowledge the capacity shortage and said that Oracle is dealing with unprecedented demand and working on the issue.

Based on your dad's experience, I am pleased to hear that paid accounts do better.

I am currently running two instances on AMD - one Oracle Linux and the other Ubuntu. The problem with the AMD instances is that they come with only a single core and 1 Gbyte RAM. If you can get one, the ARM instances default to 1 core and 6 Gbytes RAM, but you can change that. I tried for 2 cores and 12 Gbytes, with no more success than 1 and 6. The free tier limit is 4 cores and 24 Gbytes, but they can be spread between several instances.

Hint: To find the free tier AMD instance, click on "Specialty and previous generation."

i feel like my signup time was the hot time, people's brain were idlers and it was the era of pandemic. so you can guess.

I'm not so sure, but try upgrading to a PAYG account and you might get some instance(i saw one post bout it in SG region), after upgrading setup billing alerts so that you can have a peace of mind.

Since I was charged in SGP for the verification of my account(100$), I then disabled international transactions on my card. Safety :)

for the amd ones, set the disk to UHP and use the script i said to install debian. makes it a bit nicer to use.

• Visit oracle.com and signup.

Thanked by 2FatGrizzly bruh21
  • emgemg Veteran

@FatGrizzly said: I'm not so sure, but try upgrading to a PAYG account and you might get some instance(i saw one post bout it in SG region), after upgrading setup billing alerts so that you can have a peace of mind.

I am not sure whether that suggestion was aimed at me or the OP (or both). I prefer to stay with a "free tier account" to avoid the risk of unexpected costs. I do not want a costly surprise from Oracle. (Oracle has surprised me with cost overruns in the long ago past.)

• @emg said:

@FatGrizzly said: I'm not so sure, but try upgrading to a PAYG account and you might get some instance(i saw one post bout it in SG region), after upgrading setup billing alerts so that you can have a peace of mind.

I am not sure whether that suggestion was aimed at me or the OP (or both). I prefer to stay with a "free tier account" to avoid the risk of unexpected costs. I do not want a costly surprise from Oracle. (Oracle has surprised me with cost overruns in the long ago past.)

Use Privacy then?

• emgemg Veteran

@BigDongLong said:
    Use Privacy then?

I'm sorry, but I do not understand your question.

• @emg said:

@BigDongLong said:
    Use Privacy then?

he wants to use privacy

@emg said:

@BigDongLong said:
    Use Privacy then?

Privacy.com i believe, vcc provider

Thanked by 1emg
  • emgemg Veteran

@FatGrizzly said:

Privacy.com i believe, vcc provider

Ah, now I understand. For others: "vcc" = virtual credit card.

Good luck with that. I do not know whether Oracle will accept a virtual credit card for validation of a free tier account. I do not know how those third party virtual credit cards are associated with a valid address, nor whether Oracle notices or cares about it.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2023

nevermind

• I created a free VPS for a month then they removed/changed my SSH public key so I can't login to my VPS. I removed the VPS to create a new one again, after one day. they disabled my account.

Don't waste your time.

• I seems to not have any problems with Oracle. Sure, they didn't like my virtual credit card from Revolut (fully expected) and I had to use one from my actual bank - but other than that not a single problem, signup process too like few minutes?