Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unable to connect to NoMachine
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unable to connect to NoMachine

Installed NoMachine on Debian 11 VPS and now trying to connect from Windows laptop but getting following error:

If I press "Yes" then it shows this error:

What's the issue?

Comments

• If I understood correctly, it actually requires some kind of GUI already installed on machine to which you are connecting. And this software itself doesn't convert/install into GUI like xrdp?

• @alilet said:
    If I understood correctly, it actually requires some kind of GUI already installed on machine to which you are connecting. And this software itself doesn't convert/install into GUI like xrdp?

Yes it needs a desktop environment installed. I have used KDE Plasma with nomachine and it works fine out of the box.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • Then this software is completely useless. I installed xrdp and it was very slow and buggy. I found a thread here where people were all praise about NoMachine so I thought to give it a try but it is of no use.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@alilet said:
    Then this software is completely useless. I installed xrdp and it was very slow and buggy. I found a thread here where people were all praise about NoMachine so I thought to give it a try but it is of no use.

what? No. Even xrdp works the same way. It's the protocol and software differences. Nomachine is much better than xrdp.

• @FatGrizzly said:

@alilet said:
    Then this software is completely useless. I installed xrdp and it was very slow and buggy. I found a thread here where people were all praise about NoMachine so I thought to give it a try but it is of no use.

what? No. Even xrdp works the same way. It's the protocol and software differences. Nomachine is much better than xrdp.

But NoMachine require some sort of GUI like xrdp already present. I installed xrdp and just used Remote Desktop Connection on Windows to connect and it worked.

• @alilet said: But NoMachine require some sort of GUI like xrdp already present. I installed xrdp and just used Remote Desktop Connection on Windows to connect and it worked.

Both nomachine and xrdp requires a desktop environment (DE). Without a DE none is going to work. Maybe a DE was already installed on the VPS which is why xrdp worked (albeit with poor performance). Nomachine may not be compatible with that specific DE, hence it doesn't work.

• @rattlecattle said:

@alilet said: But NoMachine require some sort of GUI like xrdp already present. I installed xrdp and just used Remote Desktop Connection on Windows to connect and it worked.

Both nomachine and xrdp requires a desktop environment (DE). Without a DE none is going to work. Maybe a DE was already installed on the VPS which is why xrdp worked (albeit with poor performance). Nomachine may not be compatible with that specific DE, hence it doesn't work.

Yeah, you are right. I just checked my text file where I have saved command which I use to install, and it actually uses xfce4. Here's full command:

sudo apt install xfce4 xfce4-goodies xorg dbus-x11 x11-xserver-utils

Thanked by 1rattlecattle
  • So, I installed xfce4 and then used NoMachine and it is much faster than xrdp. There is minimal to no lag.

Thanked by 1rattlecattle