Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What locations for a SaaS project to improve site speed?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What locations for a SaaS project to improve site speed?

Hello

I have a SaaS project and I want to distribute it across some locations to provide my visitors with acceptable access/ping speeds. What would be a good minimum set of locations to achieve around 75ms no matter where you are in the world?

I was thinking about:

• Las Vegas (for North and South America)
  • Netherlands (for Europe)
  • New Zealand (for Oceania and Asia, if possible)

If you are going to recommend a hosting provider, please bear in mind that they should be able to support BGP sessions as well.

Thank you!

Thanked by 1greentea

Comments

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep
    edited February 2023

It depends on how your system is built, if it uses MySQL or not. If so I wouldn't recommend replicating MySQL over long distances.

We do it in pods, so we have an EU pod, with NL, DE and CZ then have another one in the US which has 5 servers dotted around the US. Which has worked good for us.

But like I said, it all depends on how your SaaS system is built.

• @shafire said: I was thinking about:

Las Vegas (for North and South America)
    Netherlands (for Europe)
    New Zealand (for Oceania and Asia, if possible)

3 sites?

• But like I said, it all depends on how your SaaS system is built.

When I was developing my SasS project, I was very careful to make sure that it could work in a decentralised way. That is why I use a custom storage engine that supports batch transactions. Yes, it is a bit slower for write transactions, but much easier to reach consensus. I have to say, quite similar to blockchain technology.

@EthanZou said:
    3 sites?

I want to start with a minimal set of sites and then improve as necessary. I don't know if my suggested sites are optimal, maybe there are better ones. Maybe two sites are enough to reach 80ms, but I doubt it as 250-300ms divided by 80ms indicates at least 3 sites.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • Oceania and Asia: Singapore. Europe: Netherlands. Murica: las Vegas.

• Hi this doesn't exactly fit your needs, but I can share some of my use cases. I have three servers on the west coast of the United States, located in Hillsboro (hetzner), Las Vegas (buyvm), Coeur (crunchbits), no more than 50ms delay between each other, stable links and experience, composed of my service.

• xTomxTom Member, Patron Provider

We do support BGP sessions in all locations with setup fees.

You can test speed here

https://v.ps/speedtest/

Thanked by 2r06ert shafire
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@shafire said: New Zealand (for Oceania and Asia, if possible)

I know nothing of SoPac connectivity but would New Zealand really be a better bet than Australia, Singapore, or Japan? Just curious.

• shafireshafire Member
    edited February 2023

@raindog308 said:

@shafire said: New Zealand (for Oceania and Asia, if possible)

I know nothing of SoPac connectivity but would New Zealand really be a better bet than Australia, Singapore, or Japan? Just curious.

Good question! In my case, I have to ensure compliance with GDPR. There are some countries that are much easier to deal with...

https://commission.europa.eu/law/law-topic/data-protection/international-dimension-data-protection/adequacy-decisions_en

The European Commission has the power to determine, on the basis of article 45 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 whether a country outside the EU offers an adequate level of data protection.

The effect of such a decision is that personal data can flow from the EU (and Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland) to that third country without any further safeguard being necessary. In others words, transfers to the country in question will be assimilated to intra-EU transmissions of data.

The European Commission has so far recognised Andorra, Argentina, Canada (commercial organisations), Faroe Islands, Guernsey, Israel, Isle of Man, Japan, Jersey, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Switzerland, the United Kingdom under the GDPR and the LED, and Uruguay as providing adequate protection.

Thanked by 1OhJohn
  • I think you will need a little more than 3 locations to get to that 75ms from any place in the world.

Cloudflare has more than 200 PoPs so they can claim 50ms. Bunny claims 25ms with 114 PoPs.

So you could get 75ms with:
    Amsterdam
    Frankfurt
    Paris
    Dallas
    Los Angeles
    Miami
    New York
    Hong Kong
    Singapore
    Tokyo

@BunnySpeed what locations do you recommend for the OP to get 75ms from anywhere in the world?

Thanked by 1greentea