Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is Hetzner Cloud able to deploy servers in a few seconds unlike DigitalOcean, Vultr etc?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How is Hetzner Cloud able to deploy servers in a few seconds unlike DigitalOcean, Vultr etc?

anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
edited February 2023 in General

When we were starting our business on top of Hetzner Cloud, we tried a few other options as well such as Vultr, DigitalOcean etc and the first thing we noticed was that when you hit "Deploy" in Hetzner Cloud, your server is accessible (through SSH or whatnot) in no more than 30 seconds. Most of the time a lot less like 15 to 20 seconds.

Whereas with Vultr or DigitalOcean it takes a few minutes at best. Although a few minutes is not bad either, once you get used to mere seconds, you get used to it quick.

What might Hetzner be doing to achieve this that Vultr or DigitalOcean can't/not?

Comments

• Not sure about DigitalOcean, but Vultr does OS updates (apt-get upgrade) on first boot.

Thanked by 2alilet raindog308
  • Hetzner does it too fast.

I think they have one or a few running of each configuration, and simply change login details to what you’ve provided and reset some stats for it to look ”new”.

Yes, a conpiracy, but I stand behind it.

• @emgh said:
    Hetzner does it too fast.

I think they have one or a few running of each configuration, and simply change login details to what you’ve provided and reset some stats for it to look ”new”.

Make sense, pre-loading the image / vps. So they can just simply start it sounds plausible.

Thanked by 2emgh JasonM
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Part of it could be where the images are stored that installs read from. I was curious so I installed Debian on one of my systems (using Virtfusion, installing from a local cloudinit debian image) and it took 10 seconds to ping.

Thanked by 2anbelevebel MrLime
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@ehhthing said:
    Not sure about DigitalOcean, but Vultr does OS updates (apt-get upgrade) on first boot.

Yes, this is usually the case and why it takes so long on Vultr. You can check noVNC while the server is installing and it'll show that it's running updates and other stuff.

• the deploy guy is faster then the rest ?

Thanked by 1bruh21
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

We are cloning an official cloud image and running the usual cloud-init first boot procedure. The instance is up and running within a maximum of 20-25 seconds.

The combination of fast NVMe's and the typically quick boot times of cloud images can help a lot :)

Thanked by 2OhJohn MrLime
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@emgh said:

That would allow 3 second turn-around stable, and median ariynd 0.15second delivery time.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

KVM itself is very fast.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Deployment time wasn’t an entirely uncommon complaint about DO if I recall. Though 5-10 complaints can feel like a lot to a support guy even after doing 5,000 tickets that mention nothing of the sort 😂

But it’s really hard to know what the bottlenecks are for one and aren’t for the other. Best we can do is speculate.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • They might have just heavily optimised their base templates. If they're using COW, cloning the image is basically instant, and all that really needs to be reconfigured between instances are the network config (and they might be set up to use DHCP anyway), hostname, SSH host key and root password and/or root SSH authentication keys.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • Hetzner cloud is very powerful, cheap and does not require a contract.

• Hetzner uses high grade lubricant oil for there servers which results in less friction and high performance.

• Hetzner cloud is

I don't know, I've just posted here to shove you my affiliate links in the footer

Thanked by 3lol_fire alilet adns
  • Copy on write storage, lean virtio kernel, lean base image, good cloud-init config?

• alt_alt_ Member
    edited February 2023

Hetzner cloud is

Me too, I don't know. I've just posted here to shove you my affiliate links https://hetzner.cloud/?ref=fkCeAKqxk9H9 (Free 20 euro credit for Hetzner)

• @emgh said:

Agreed, because deploying from a custom snapshot takes quite some time.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@alilet said:
    Hetzner uses high grade lubricant oil for there servers which results in less friction and high performance.

And here I've been just spitting on it.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@noisycode said:

@emgh said:

Agreed, because deploying from a custom snapshot takes quite some time.

Well, snapshots are probably all stored on one, slow, centralized storage server while templates are probably cached on the local disks of their nodes

• I'm pretty sure they start provisioning your host about 30s before you realize you wanted it.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@alilet said: Hetzner uses high grade lubricant oil for there servers which results in less friction and high performance.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • Instant coffie just add water

Thanked by 1emgh
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I started playing with Hetzner Cloud for the first time this week, and it really is significantly faster than any other cloud provider as far as provisioning/deprovisioning.

With the big public clouds, everything always seems to take forever. Maybe things are faster if you're using the API. DO, Vultr, etc. are faster, but Hetzner seems to be at a level faster still.

I'm just working through the panel so your API mileage may vary.