Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wondering if reverse giveaway is a thing? This thread is for ALL Dedicated Server providers in LA!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wondering if reverse giveaway is a thing? This thread is for ALL Dedicated Server providers in LA!

gmark306gmark306 Member
edited February 2023 in General

This is for dedicated server providers with location somewhere in LA.

We launched public beta of the website on Friday (PST) and had 327 users on the day of launch per google analytics, 393 users yesterday, 600+ listings, 200+ signups. It's a seller to buyer connection website type of thing, very niche untapped market, market at least $1bn+ big. Traffic comes mostly from US and Europe. All those numbers are with no paid advertising!

I'm currently running 8vCPU and 6GB RAM. I'm looking at the usage data and I'm hitting 100% CPU usage once every couple hours. I need to move to a dedicated server.

This is why I made this post. I'm looking for a dedicated server provider that can offer top of the line configuration - a combination of beast CPU, bandwidth, great network speed, ssd storage and plenty of ram - all that as a giveaway! I know that's a crazy ask.

Here's what I can offer: if the website takes off in the next 12 months we'll offer you 1.5% equity for every 1 year of free service. We do have plans to raise seed round (I'm CS + Finance background), so most likely we'll switch to a paid user as soon as we raise a round.

Open to further discussions. I know this is crazy, but hey, let's give it a shot who knows haha

Comments

• $7

• 393 Users yesterday... 8vcpus... I'm hitting 100% CPU usage...

Sounds to me like you have an optimization problem.

• Reverse of giveaway is begging.

• Show proof.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

lol what. If it's servicing an untapped $1 billion dollar market go to a damn investor don't ask for free dedicated servers.

• Website name ?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@gmark306 said: 327 users on the day of launch per google analytics, 393 users yesterday, 600+ listings, 200+ signups

And 1 person in front of the computer with Internet access.

• gmark306gmark306 Member
    edited February 2023

@dosai said:
    Show proof.

Users (open to verifying it independently)

I also have Instagram posts' performance and open to all sorts of verification you may want.

EDIT: We onboarded about 50 people from private beta launch 2 weeks ago btw. Link was not made public at that time, and the site had lots of bugs (still has a few). Public launch planned for late march.

• @greentea said:

393 Users yesterday... 8vcpus... I'm hitting 100% CPU usage...

perhaps yea, I built it all over last couple weekends. It's WP + WC + bunch of plugins, so yea :neutral:

@MikeA said:
    lol what. If it's servicing an untapped $1 billion dollar market go to a damn investor don't ask for free dedicated servers.

that's the plan down the road, don't wanna sell equity so early on.

@Liso said:
    Website name ?

Open to sharing if you're a dedicated server provider. DM if you are.

• @Crab said:
    $7

wdym (unless thats sarcasm lol)

@dahartigan said:
    Reverse of giveaway is begging.

One way to say it I guess...

@DP said:

@gmark306 said: 327 users on the day of launch per google analytics, 393 users yesterday, 600+ listings, 200+ signups

And 1 person in front of the computer with Internet access.

I understand skepticism but I'm open to all sorts of verification for the numbers I posted. I'm in Newport beach, can meet in person, or zoom, whatever works for a dedi provider.

thx

• I'd be interested in talking a bit further about it. If you're serious about the performance and how everything is, then happy to talk a bit further about the project. Send me a PM and we can setup a time to chat. Or a discord. If you're serious.

• edited February 2023

You really need more than 8 CPU and 6GB RAM for what looks like to be a WordPress website?

Even if they're old Ivy Bridge cores, you need to do some optimization or move to a newer platform for whatever you are paying for right now.

• @gmark306 said:

@greentea said:

perhaps yea, I built it all over last couple weekends. It's WP + WC + bunch of plugins, so yea :neutral:

Bogus code written by ChatGPT? I've never seen a WP site that need 6GB ram and hitting full CPU with just a few hundred DAU. You have a scaling issue in your architecture that needs to be fixed first, switching to dedicated server won't help you on that.

Thanked by 2khalequzzaman AXYZE
  • @HalfEatenPie said:
    I'd be interested in talking a bit further about it. If you're serious about the performance and how everything is, then happy to talk a bit further about the project. Send me a PM and we can setup a time to chat. Or a discord. If you're serious.

DM’d

@CyberneticTitan said:
    You really need more than 8 CPU and 6GB RAM for what looks like to be a WordPress website?

maybe it’s the fact it needs like 20 plugins to do bare minimum … but I’m also not the best programmer out there. Lol

• @fkj said:

@gmark306 said:

@greentea said:

Bogus code written by ChatGPT? I've never seen a WP site that need 6GB ram and hitting full CPU with just a few hundred DAU. You have a scaling issue in your architecture that needs to be fixed first, switching to dedicated server won't help you on that.

I’m not hitting full ram. It’s like 1-2GB range. It’s the CPU usage that I keep hitting every couple hours. I agree code can be optimized further… that’s a whole different discussion tho.

• you need to setup some caching mechanism.

• Interesting deal! Wish you luck!

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@HalfEatenPie said:
    I'd be interested in talking a bit further about it. If you're serious about the performance and how everything is, then happy to talk a bit further about the project. Send me a PM and we can setup a time to chat. Or a discord. If you're serious.

I would get in line behind @HalfEatenPie and ask for more info, but we're not in LA. West coast but not LA.

Just kind of curious what type of $1.5bn market with such untapped potential can't be monetized well enough to afford a dedicated server or at least a strong VDS? I can only say that I would never have given away 1.5% (yearly accruing) of any company I own for a $100-300/mo server and if you really believe in what you've got going maybe reconsider.

• netcup is best.It is powerful.

• @HalfEatenPie said:

Let us know about that $1.5B market so we can earn few more breads as well.

• @gmark306 said: I'm currently running 8vCPU and 6GB RAM. I'm looking at the usage data and I'm hitting 100% CPU usage once every couple hours. I need to move to a dedicated server.

Perhaps a dedicated server won't help that much – make sure you do some fuller analysis first (or find a server you can rent for one month to test on). It might be that you'll only get a small multiplier of extra performance that way but with some code optimisations you get an order (or two or more) better performance under the same load. If you only get a small gain it might not be noticeable at to your users especially if the CPU bursts are fairly short.

Some important things to consider:

• How fast are those cores?
    • How oversold is the CPU resource? Does the host claim you have dedicated cores and if so does that claim seem to be true?
    • How long do those CPU spikes last and what does your usual baseline activity look like (not idle activity, obviously)
    • Do the spikes significantly affect user experience?
    • Are the spikes caused by direct user activity that needs immediate feedback or could some of it be pushed to lower priority background processes? (so be almost immediate at normal times but delayed when needed – if you do this some indiction of an estimated time to completion for the user may be needed to avoid users undoing the benefit by mashing F5 until all is done so consuming extra resource)
    • If queuing parts of the process is not acceptable, could queuing the whole thing at times be? (again, giving the user a “we're processing your request, ETA 10 seconds” message rather than leaving them hanging during the delay)
    • Could the burst of activity actually be users mashing F5, because there are time sensitive artefacts in the domain the application is serving that are making the users “race”, in which case improving UX may discourage that behaviour (psycologically by helping the users know when refreshing won't help them, or technically by using websockets (falling back to long-polling) and such if you aren't already to push updates out instead of needing user polling).
    • Is your code reacting to issues like database deadlocks with rapid retry loops? That could certainly exacerbate CPU load at a busy time. If that is the case, some “random back-off” delay can help a lot.
    • Could the application easily scale over multiple VMs instead of upgrading the power of a single node? This has the extra advantage of giving you some availability benefit too if well designed, and easier further scaling later as well.

One thing to note about dealing with bursts of activity is that many studies have shown that users are happier to have a 10s delay with feedback than a 2s delay without (caveat: numbers 2 and 10 plucked from the air, lookup the research for real details!).

Delaying activity in the various ways mentioned above will increase memory pressure, but it sounds like this will not be an issue in your current environment so sacrificing otherwise underutilised memory may be more than worth a potentially reduced (or at least flattened) CPU spike.

Thanked by 11672201279
  • emgemg Veteran

@gmark306 said: This is for dedicated server providers with location somewhere in LA.
    We launched public beta of the website on Friday (PST) [blah blah details] All those numbers are with no paid advertising!

It is a PUBLIC beta of the website, but the OP does not disclose the website. The OP joined LowEndTalk four days ago, and currently has one thread and seven posts. To me it smells like the kids who want a free VPS, writ large.

The OP is in LA. Have they considered appearing on "Shark Tank"?

My version:
    "I started a newspaper delivery route with my bicycle and several neighbors are thinking about subscribing. It is the start of my billion dollar publishing powerhouse. All I need is a free large building with a free industrial printing press in return for a 1.5% equity stake per year of free use of your building/printer. "

• If your company is actually this much of a big deal, you should be able to afford $50 (which would be better than you have now) to $100 per month for the kind of server you require. If you already have 8 core and 6 GB, you can subtract a bit off that when you cancel your existing service.

What it actually seems is that you have a terribly inefficient project that can't scale because less than 400 users in a day causes you to max out your CPU, and you as the founder personally don't even value your business enough to consider it worth spending $1000 for a year's hosting.

• The end is nigh.

• If the market is very niche and untapped, I'm curious how its size was estimated/calculated to be over a billion.

• @Crab said:
    If the market is very niche and untapped, I'm curious how its size was estimated/calculated to be over a billion.

By plucking a number out of thin air.

They clearly don't even believe this BS themselves, because for 1 year of providing a server, they'd give out 1.5% equity, which means if they think the company is worth $1bn, they're valuing a year of hosting at $1.25m per month. For one "top of the line configuration" server.

• @ralf said:
    If your company is actually this much of a big deal, you should be able to afford $50 (which would be better than you have now) to $100 per month for the kind of server you require. If you already have 8 core and 6 GB, you can subtract a bit off that when you cancel your existing service.

What it actually seems is that you have a terribly inefficient project that can't scale because less than 400 users in a day causes you to max out your CPU, and you as the founder personally don't even value your business enough to consider it worth spending $1000 for a year's hosting.

400 users per day... its not even 20 users per hour... we are measuring in different time measures... 400 per second, thats another level. 400 per minute for WP could be considered a bit, but not 1 user every 3 minutes... :)

• These guys are worth $2.5m each though, so it's right to spend a bit of time servicing their requests.

• The funniest thing for me is that OP literally founded a small, student-run VC investment firm and yet he's asking for freebies here instead of, I don't know, asking them to invest in his billion-dollar idea?