Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

do you use IPv6?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

do you use IPv6?

Hi guys!

I'm thinking of adopting the use of IPV6

but are we going to tell the truth? the adoption of IPV6 is very slow many years ago I imagined that in 2023 we would already have IPv6 forwarding well, but it is not what it seems

I have a dedicated one at OVH where IPV6 is available but it seems not possible to use it for VMS, proxmox or vmware due to MAC restrictions.

what do you think about IPv6 at this moment?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

OVH does not have mac restrictions on IPv6. You can use it fine in virtual machines.

IPv6 use depends on the region too.. Basically everyone in the US has IPv6 for example.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • The adoption of IPV6 is very slow.

According to cloudflare (https://radar.cloudflare.com/reports/ipv6) we have a global adoption rate of ~25%.

• @greentea said:

The adoption of IPV6 is very slow.

According to cloudflare (https://radar.cloudflare.com/reports/ipv6) we have a global adoption rate of ~25%.

I'm not surprised that Indian is the most IPv6 friendly country with highest adoption rate as almost most of telecoms and Internet services providers do provide IPv6 by default.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2023

Always, however sometimes you are stuck with less than a /64 which tends to suck.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@greentea said:

The adoption of IPV6 is very slow.

When you drill down, almost 50% of US (non-bot) traffic is v6. It goes over 50% during evenings & weekends when people are using their v6-enabled mobile & home internet, during the work day they're v4-only. https://radar.cloudflare.com/adoption-and-usage/us?range=28d

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Where is @yoursunny ?

Thanked by 2yoursunny kait
  • I worship IPv6, the only thing I don’t like is typing long addresses when DNS is not available.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

I don’t have it at home so admittedly it’s never a priority for my servers just because I never deal with it

• Yes, I use it. I always deploy it in dual-stack mode on my web server and streaming services. Glad that the providers I signed up for have IPv6 addresses ready, some are available to assign via a control panel, and others just need to open a support ticket to request one to be assigned to the server. My ISP is dual-stack IPv4/IPv6 ready as well. So I can just test my configurations with both protocols with ease.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

Duhh

• DataRecoveryDataRecovery Member
    edited February 2023

@filipisilva said:
    do you use IPv6?

No, I don't.

The idea was sensible and well-intended, but the implementation... :#

Never added an IPv6 to any of my VPSes.

I think I even have IPv6 disabled in Local area connection properties (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections) for my home connection.

And I highly appreciate VPS providers which offer IPv4 and still keep their prices reasonable.

but are we going to tell the truth? the adoption of IPV6 is very slow

Yes.
    IPv6 is as old, as Windows 95.

• Both Cox and T-Mobile, my ISP & phone service provider either provide IPV6 native, or rely on it entirely (T-Mobile).

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Unfortunately, my isp has no clue on ipv6 implementation.

• even Quic has a faster rollout as IPv6 :cry: I hate the Internet.

• Native IPv6? no, my ISP is truly a unique dumb case, when i offered him my IPv6 range and asked him to deploy it for everyone that includes some my friends who are sharing the same internet provider but that dumb cunt didn't even know what IPv6 is, forget about implementing that. I am getting by somehow with the help of @Cloudie 's route48.

• I do, but I get problems with IPv6 more often than IPv4, usually bad routing (much higher latency than it should be) or packet loss.

So I had to disable it sometimes and that's why I still prefer IPv4 over IPv6 at the moment.

• I use IPv6 and if my ISP wouldn't support it I would switch, fuck everyone that doesn't implement IPv6.

• Actively using IPv6, on home broadband, university wifi, workplace wifi, and of course almost all of my boxes. I wouldn't even consider buying a vps without IPv6 now.

• Using IPv4 for public and IPv6 for private

• Everything I deploy is 100% dual-stack and I wouldn’t buy a VPS which doesn’t have native IPv6. Got native IPv6 at home and on my mobile phone.

• @DataRecovery said:

IPv6 is as old, as Windows 95.

And IP4 is older than MS-DOS.

• My ISP does not know what ipv6 is, support didn't know how to answer when I asked if they'd ever have // support it.