Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashburn, NYC or NJ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ashburn, NYC or NJ?

niknik Member, Host Rep

Hi all, I would like to know what you are preferring in regards to a East Coast location. Ashburn or NYC? If NYC directly in Manhattan or would NJ be fine as well? Is one of them a criteria why you would not choose a provider? For example would you only choose NYC and if the provider only has a Ashburn location that would be a no go or is basically any of them ok?

I would also appreciate the view of providers how you see the advantages and disadvantages.

Thanks! :smile:

Comments

• nullroutenullroute Member, Host Rep

Where are your users located?

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

Ashburn will give your customers better connectivity to all major services (Google, CF, Amazon, etc) but I'm pretty pleased with the connectivity in NY. I'd recommend you pick Staten Island to save some money rather then having something in the heart of the city.

If you're looking for anything there, I would be able to do colocation, dedicated servers, or just single VPS's.

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@nullroute said:

Let's say this is market research for providers who would look to expand to the east coast :smiley:

So users most likely will be somewhere on the east coast or nearby and the question is basically if one location is better than the other apart from latency and if one or the other would be a no go for reason xy.

@aqua said:
    Ashburn will give your customers better connectivity to all major services (Google, CF, Amazon, etc) but I'm pretty pleased with the connectivity in NY. I'd recommend you pick Staten Island to save some money rather then having something in the heart of the city.

If you're looking for anything there, I would be able to do colocation, dedicated servers, or just single VPS's.

Was there a recent influx of customers switching from NJ/NYC to Ashburn? Or are those just two completely separate markets?

• Tagging @qps - They have a Ashburn location right smack dab in Datacenter Alley with a great network.

• From my, european point of view, all 3 locations are great.
    There are some others (Atlanta, Jacksonville FL, Charlotte NC...) which are also good, but if I would need to choose, I would pick any of those 3 you mentioned.

• Both Ashburn and NY/NJ are good -- I'd suggest you test the quality of the networks, latency, provider support, and other issues as a priority over attaching yourself to one location or the other. If you have a great provider you trust in NJ, go for them. If you have a great provider you trust in Ashburn, go for them.

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • @jlet88 said:
    I'd suggest you test the quality of the networks, latency, provider support, and other issues as a priority over attaching yourself to one location or the other.

This!
    From geographical point of view I don't see much of a difference among those locations. But there are other factors mentioned by @jlet88 which could be decisive.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Ashburn has been great for us so far - really nice connectivity, peering, proximity to the major cloud services, reasonable latency to everywhere in the US, etc.

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

Both locations can't really go wrong with.

We went for New York as one of our main hubs due to great connections to basically everywhere.
    It hits EU clients quite well as a backup even main location.
    Works very well for the East coast of America and Canada.

Connections even from the West coast. Seattle - NY is around 60ms.
    At the end of the day it comes down to why and who you want to connect with for picking the locations.

I believe most of our customers have been quite impressed in NY.

@nik said:

@nullroute said:

Let's say this is market research for providers who would look to expand to the east coast :smiley:

So users most likely will be somewhere on the east coast or nearby and the question is basically if one location is better than the other apart from latency and if one or the other would be a no go for reason xy.

NYC

• I'd always pick NYC if available.

• @nullroute said: NYC

@zakkuuno said: I'd always pick NYC if available.

To match it with your NYC baseball hat or why? :) There must be some reason why you prefer it above other two locations, right? Do tell us more :)

Do you guys have any specific reason?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

How about do all 3 ;-).
    More PoPs - more choice.

Thanked by 1ElonBezos
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

I prefer Ashburn, then NYC, then NJ.

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • @Mumbly said:

@nullroute said: NYC

To match it with your NYC baseball hat or why? :) There must be some reason why you prefer it above other two locations, right? Do tell us more :)

Well, they both serve east coast nicely but NYC has slightly better average latency to west EU. ~70ms from NYC to AMS is amazing.

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • It would depend on the provider, simply being located in NYC,NJ or Ashburn does not give enough information on how good anything would be.

@Mumbly said:

@nullroute said: NYC

NYC has the best overall connection compared to others and also the best connection to Europe overall - it's the closest and best connected location to AMS-IX.

Good providers have routes from NY to Atlanta to avoid losing packets to Latin America when routes out of Miami are experiencing problems.

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • NYC as a region is pretty marketable, but Ashburn has cheaper electrical prices. Not sure why one would pay Manhattan prices for a minuscule latency difference across the river in NJ, though.

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • As someone who reside outside of USA, when choosing a providers below tier 1 (AWS, AZURE etc), I always consider providers who have a location in NYC/NJ (even when choosing VPS in Dallas). This means these providers caters to the financial services crowd, whose requirement usually means 24/5 uptime at the very least.
    Which means their offerings in other regions too will have similar quality.
    I consider NYC/NJ to the same location (but not Buffalo).