Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap LXC or OpenVZ for sampling Binance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap LXC or OpenVZ for sampling Binance

davidedavide Member
edited February 2023 in Requests

I have a simple Nodejs script that samples prices from Binance and other exchanges, it's very light on CPU but moderate on storage size, with super-low disk I/Os. It had run for 10 years on a Colocrossing VPS in Dallas until recently, when Binance revoked their API access from all IP addresses within the USA for legal reasons, so I'm looking to relocate elsewhere. I purchased a budget Greencloud KVM from the UK and I've run this script there for a while. The script works well from the UK, but the hard drive is filling up quickly on Greencloud's tiny NVMe storage (only 35 GB). These NVMe instances prioritize on needlessly high iops for my needs and compromise with excessively small storage, and storage expansions are pricey. So I'm looking for alternatives.

The specs I need are: (min. requirements)

• 60 GB storage (slow HDD is ok)
  • 2 GB ECC
  • 2 TB / month @ 100 mb/s
  • 1 IPv4 (dedi)
  • not USA

No requirements on virtualization type: LXC, OpenVZ, KVM, Xen are all good.

I found some offers in the EU with these specs for around 35€ / year (taxes included), but any other location is ok. I'm hoping to match the price range of my Colocrossing offer: $21 / year for 80 GB HDD and 2 GB memory. But bargains like these seem to exist only in the USA.

Comments

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited February 2023

Gonna tag @Abd as he has some crazy LXCs and OpenVZ around the Europe and used to offer disk space like that on special promos - maybe something still there :D

EDIT
    Oh, if you feel funky and still not using it - Oracle Cloud Always Free gives like 200GB space. It's limited, but stable, just like every enterprise big thing. Try for a day/two and then decide I guess :P

Thanked by 1Abd
  • davidedavide Member
    edited February 2023

Thanks @JabJab I checked WebHorizon, it seems only natted VPS's with 256 MB of memory are in stock right now. I'll keep refreshing the page thru the next days if anything new pops up.

I've been using Oracle cloud for a couple years, impressive performance from those 4 ARM cores. But I'd like to pay for a VPS, as a precaution against Larry waking up on the wrong side of the bed one day and taking back my precious.

• Is using a VPN an option?

• davidedavide Member
    edited February 2023

@MooCowGalaxy said:
    Is using a VPN an option?

Not ideal but I'd consider it, depending on price, if the cost of VPS + VPN remains decent. I still have the VPS on Colocrossing at $21 / year, the server itself is perfect regarding performance and disk size, it's just geo-fenced by Binance.

The sampling script also readily supports plugging an HTTP proxy to bypass all REST requests. I proxied it thru my home computer in Italy for a day, the same day when the VPS was blocked by Binance w/o prior notice, then moved the script over to GreenCloud in the UK the next day. Therefore even a super low-end VPS or HTTP proxy would work as a bypass in lieu of a VPN, provided it has enough bandwidth.

• ESSENTIAL
    Standard price €6,56/mo - Valentine's Day price: €4,59/mo (30% discount)
    Virtual server with 2 vCore CPU, 4GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 10TB @ 2Gbps bandwidth
    Yearly Valentine's Day price: €23,62 (70% discount on standard price)

Valentine’s Day promos are valid until 19th February
    Prices are vat excluded.

Thanked by 1davide
  • davidedavide Member
    edited February 2023

Thanks @c1vhosting I checked the ESSENTIAL package at c1vhosting, naked and alone w/o add-ons it comes at 96€ / year ($102) gross of VAT (22%). A bit spicy.

Edit: ops I missed the Valentine yearly promo. Interesting, I'm bookmarking your profile page :)

Thanked by 1c1vhosting
  • I would look at Oxide hosting
    1 vCore
    2gb ram
    256GB HDD
    500 down/100 up
    Unmetered
    For £4.49 GBP

• davidedavide Member
    edited February 2023

@c1vhosting Is there a way to "freeze" this offer and buy it at a later date? The offer is quite competitive for the EU market and it's the next VPS I'm gonna buy after GreenCloud's, but I'll need it starting from May and onward, when my database is projected to fill up GreenCloud's small disk.

If not possible, I'll just keep an eye on your special offers as I regularly visit LET.

• @davide said:
    @c1vhosting Is there a way to "freeze" this offer and buy it at a later date? The offer is quite competitive for the EU market and it's the next VPS I'm gonna buy after GreenCloud's, but I'll need it starting from May and onward, when my database is projected to fill up GreenCloud's small disk.

If not possible, I'll just keep an eye on your special offers as I regularly visit LET.

Hi dear,
    you can order it and ask activation in May, so you won't lose any day of usage.. but the order shall be submitted within the end date (19th February).

Otherwise if not possible you can send us a DM in May so we'll see together :)

• Just be aware that you need to add 22% VAT to c1vhosting price if you are not buying as a company. @davide

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @JabJab said:
    Just be aware that you need to add 22% VAT to c1vhosting price if you are not buying as a company. @davide

just be aware that's already written, useless comment :)

• @c1vhosting said: just be aware that's already written, useless comment

Oh, we on that?
    SHOW DATACENTER PICTURES.

• @JabJab said:

@c1vhosting said: just be aware that's already written, useless comment

Oh, we on that?
    SHOW DATACENTER PICTURES.

will take 1 month to provision pictures

• @jugganuts said: will take 1 month to provision pictures

You mean 90 days? [ https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/181676/c1vhosting-is-scam/ ]

Thanked by 1jugganuts