Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could I white/black list entire ASN on Firewall rules, to protect against DDoSAttacks?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Could I white/black list entire ASN on Firewall rules, to protect against DDoSAttacks?

Hello, I host my website on VPS with single dedicated IPv4.
I was using Cloudflare, and I disable it, due to issue some of my visitors facing to reach my website ( ISP issues )

I didn't have DDoS Attack issue yet, but they are common on business I'm working on.
From my previous experience (with bots mostly) I was able to manage to get rid of 90% of them by banning their IP subnet, after I checked they are from hosting companies e.g. D.O AWS etc.

But when It comes to DDoS Attacks things are a bit different, first I won't have time to check each IP & subnet manually, and most of these attack will be coming from multiple IPs and regions around the world.

So I'm thinking to create Firewall whitelist of IPs coming from real resident connections,
checking each ISP IPs subnet will take huge time and I think the list will be big too.

So is there a way to get the Firewall to query visitors IP if they are in the whitelist to allow it to start the connections instead of dropping it immediately.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

If the DDOS attack is effective because it’s reaching services on your server that are running out of resources, yes. If the DDOS attack is effective because it’s saturating your network port, then no.

Thanked by 1desperand
  • I would recommend specifying the filter by IP or Range . . .

• @jar said: If the DDOS attack is effective because it’s saturating your network port, then no.

In that case could the server provide (e.g. the data center/collation) offer protection from their side,