Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH advertises but doens't provide
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH advertises but doens't provide

So.. I am OVH's client from several years back, till now didn't had any problem with them, or didn't had to have problems, mostly having small projects that i manage myself for my clients. Now, i bought a kimsufi dedicated on black friday. All good, price was ok. Then i have a request from one of my clients..

1. He wanted an extra IP address, after several days waiting for their support to answer, i got an answer, they don't provide extra ip addresses to kimsufi servers. Ok, thats it.. f**k it.. don't need them, make port forwardings and NAT IP's and i make the client happy.
  2. I need to buy a CloudLinux license + DirectAdmin, they provide them for sure, i already have/had them on another server. They also advertise them on their web page (kimsufi.com), i provide them screen shots of what they advertise.. My ticket is closed and they finally answer to my request on their twitter account, telling me that CloudLinux is not available on kimsufi servers.. but they still advertise that on kimsufi.com, DirectAdmin also..

My question, why do you make false advertising if you don't provide @OVH_APAC ?
PS: This problem is regarding ovh.ie

My review.. stable services, false advertisements.

Comments

• kdhkdh Member
    edited February 2023

@Catalin said: He wanted an extra IP address, after several days waiting for their support to answer, i got an answer, they don't provide extra ip addresses to kimsufi servers. Ok, thats it.. f**k it.. don't need them, make port forwardings and NAT IP's and i make the client happy.

They never claimed they provided extra IPs for KS.

@Catalin said: I need to buy a CloudLinux license + DirectAdmin, they provide them for sure, i already have/had them on another server. They also advertise them on their web page (kimsufi.com), i provide them screen shots of what they advertise.. My ticket is closed and they finally answer to my request on their twitter account, telling me that CloudLinux is not available on kimsufi servers.. but they still advertise that on kimsufi.com, DirectAdmin also..

First, I wouldn't recommend using Kimsufi for web hosting stuffs since it has 100Mbps uplink.
    Also, you can manually install CloudLinux using the rescue mode. Just make your own CloudLinux installation and archive all of its contents, and run something like wget -O- 'https://foobar-something.com/yourfile.gz' | gunzip | dd of=/dev/sda

@Catalin said: but they still advertise that on kimsufi.com, DirectAdmin also..

You can just manually install it if you really want. OVH ditched that option since DA decided to remove their internal license thingy.

• @kdh for me was all about the license, generally I would rather buy all from same provider, not from different ones, just to optimize my money flow.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Catalin said:
    @kdh for me was all about the license, generally I would rather buy all from same provider, not from different ones, just to optimize my money flow.

cheaper to buy licenses elsewhere than dedicated server provider

• About the additional IPs. It came as a surprise to me as well some while ago that Kimsufi servers can only have one IP and no additional ones available. But yeah.. they don't advertise additional IPs for those Kimsufi packages AFAIK so lesson learned and that one was on me

• @WebProject said:

@Catalin said:
    @kdh for me was all about the license, generally I would rather buy all from same provider, not from different ones, just to optimize my money flow.

Any suggestion about a cheaper CloudLinux and DirectAdmin license that i could use on this kimsufi dedi ?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Catalin said:

@WebProject said:

@Catalin said:

Any suggestion about a cheaper CloudLinux and DirectAdmin license that i could use on this kimsufi dedi ?

A CloudLinux possible to get elsewhere as for DirectAdmin better direct as no other does any cheaper, so if OVH unable to provide license you still be able to get elsewhere.

• OVH_APACOVH_APAC Member, Patron Provider

Hello all, regarding options on Kimsufi range of servers you can find more details in the compare page:
    https://eco.ovhcloud.com/asia/compare/

• Kimsufi range (KS)-> no additonal IPv4 option
    • Soyoustart range (SYS) -> up to 128
    • RIse range and other OVHcloud range -> up to 256
      Hope this clarifies
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2023

Hopefully you took away from this but if you didn't it's worth clarifying: Don't use kimsufi for production. They're hobby boxes and should be treated as such.

I'm not saying you can't get some great production out of them, but it's generally just a rule of thumb that you don't production shop in the bargain bin. Because the provider probably sees them as bargain bin just the same as we do, and that's usually a good indicator of how much effort they'll put into making you happy with them when it comes to anything above "these were the specs, that was the price, let us know if it stops running."

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2023

You can use kimsufi for prod, as long you aware of its limitations.
    Uptime wise, they are top notch.

It more sounds like, you didn't do your due diligence.

Thanked by 2adns kdh
  • @Neoon said:
    You can use kimsufi for prod, as long you aware of thingsitations.

This is true, but I would still not recommend KS for shared hosting thingies.
    Using a server that has 100Mbps uplink for a shared hosting server isn't practical at all, at least for what I think :wink:

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@kdh said:

@Neoon said:
    You can use kimsufi for prod, as long you aware of thingsitations.

This is true, but I would still not recommend KS for shared hosting thingies.
    Using a server that has 100Mbps uplink for a shared hosting server isn't practical at all, at least for what I think :wink:

Its not longer a 100Mbps, 100/1000 meanwhile.
    IPv6 even goes 1000 up.