Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help - Server Locked() for 88 hours at Scaleway "Tech Issues ow "Retracted" and expire date tomorrow
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help - Server Locked() for 88 hours at Scaleway "Tech Issues ow "Retracted" and expire date tomorrow

GuerlGuerl Member
edited February 2023 in General

Hello,

In advance, forgive me for any grammatical errors or mistakes in posting this message. I am really nervous about the situation and sleep deprived.

I have been renting dedicated servers for 11 years in different companies and I have never encountered anything like this.
I share my case in case someone can help me or tell me what may be happening, because I do not know what to do.

I do have a dedicated server with Scaleway that has been down, with dashboard message "Server Locked()" for the last 88 hours.
85 hours ago when I found out I contacted support and since the beggining I have been told it was locked due a technical issue, technical team were going to fix it, but didn't know exactly what technical issue. They gave me the same reply over and over again...10 hours ago told me that there was an intervention ongoing and soon they will tell me something.

But few hours ago I fond out service State changed to "Retracted" and expiration date changed from
2023-02-28 to 2023-02-15. When I asked they told me there was a team working on my case on datacenter and thehadidn't have any information to provide yet.

Can someone imagine what is really going on and why this could happen? Because for me is hard to believe there's actually a technical issue related.

Comments

• twiigltwiigl Member
    edited February 2023

Server seized by authorities :*

• @twiigl said:
    Server seized by authorities :*

I though about that, even tought it does not make much sense.

Anyways shouldn't I know something by now? If it's blocked anyway I can't do anything.

And why not suspend the server directly instead of saying that there is an ongoing maintenance or repair?

My problem started right at the same time as this global incident.

https://status.scaleway.com/incidents/sxgj2j5dwlgh

• Called Scaleway after telling them I was talking with my lawyer and finally told me the server was nonfunctional and data was completely lost. They were sorry for how support handle the situation, offered my another server to upload backup...

And seems like they are going to send me technical details of what happened. The incident happened at the same time this one was reported, but should not have anything to do as far as I know... https://status.scaleway.com/incidents/sxgj2j5dwlgh

Someone had any similar issue?

Talking to my lawyer he told me if it was seized by authorities by now I would know something for being EU company, domains of same website and other servers would not be working either.

• Wow that sucks. Also wow for Scaleways Support for sucking like that.

• GuerlGuerl Member
    edited February 2023

This was their reply with technical information they were going to send me regarding what happened 🤬🤬

"Good day,
    Following the conversation you had with one of our representatives, we confirm that a technical failure of the server (breakdown of an unknown nature requiring the complete return of the chassis to the manufacturer for an in-depth analysis) has rendered all of its contents lost, including the hard drives.
    We are sorry for the inconvenience caused and understand it.
    We also remind you that, in accordance with our terms of service, the subscriber is both the owner and responsible for the data stored on our servers (article 8.3).
    As a consequence, we can only offer you a replacement server or a refund of your monthly payment and invite you to contact our support for this purpose.
    Best regards."

They say that don't know what happened to the server but at the same time they know all the components including hard drives, data... are lost. And also refuse to send me hard drives paying me the costs in order to verify data was really lost and not stolen... for data protection porpuses as my lawyer requested.

All the possibilities have crossed my mind, and nothing makes sense to me.

1) If it has been a technical problem and all the information has really been lost, why didn't they tell me before exactly what happened, they've been making me dizzy for 4 days saying tech team was working on it. And why they don't specifically tell me what happened now?
    "a technical failure of the server (breakdown of an unknown nature requiring the complete return of the chassis to the manufacturer for an in-depth analysis) has rendered all of its contents lost, including the hard drives."

it's a really bad explanation

2) If they wanted me to leave their company because they have received 3 dmca in 2 years (the last one 8 months ago), although maybe some of which they have not informed me... because they did not directly suspend the server and they told me that it was a technical problem and that they would tell me something as soon as they knew more details? Also offer to me another server today...

3) Finally, if it is a legal requirement to requisition the server, why haven't the rest of the servers been requisitioned with other companies that are in the same country, domains... and why nobody tells me anything? According to my lawyer the does not believe that it is, since I should know something by now and it does not make sense that it was a secret request. Also it doesn't make sense for the nature of the sites I host, I do not have any "illegal site", despite I had some abuse/dmca requests.

In any case, I think they are not trustworthy. Right now I would say that apart from being unprofessional, there has probably been a technical problem that affected other services and to solve it they have not acted well and may have lost data due to bad practices. Since the moment the server stops working coincides 100% with this incident: https://status.scaleway.com/incidents/sxgj2j5dwlgh That was fixed yesterday, when they find out they lost my data.

• Based on the description of the problem, I would say there is more going on here.

@twiigl said: Server seized by authorities

Was my first thought as well. They may not be able to tell you that.

• entrailzentrailz Member, Host Rep

@Guerl said:
    This was their reply with technical information they were going to send me regarding what happened 🤬🤬

"Good day,
    Following the conversation you had with one of our representatives, we confirm that a technical failure of the server (breakdown of an unknown nature requiring the complete return of the chassis to the manufacturer for an in-depth analysis) has rendered all of its contents lost, including the hard drives.
    We also remind you that, in accordance with our terms of service, the subscriber is both the owner and responsible for the data stored on our servers (article 8.3).
    As a consequence, we can only offer you a replacement server or a refund of your monthly payment and invite you to contact our support for this purpose.
    Best regards."

They say that don't know what happened to the server but at the same time they know all the components including hard drives, data... are lost. And also refuse to send me hard drives paying me the costs in order to verify data was really lost and not stolen... for data protection porpuses as my lawyer requested.

1) If it has been a technical problem and all the information has really been lost, why didn't they tell me before exactly what happened, they've been making me dizzy for 4 days saying tech team was working on it. And why they don't specifically tell me what happened now?
    "a technical failure of the server (breakdown of an unknown nature requiring the complete return of the chassis to the manufacturer for an in-depth analysis) has rendered all of its contents lost, including the hard drives."

2) If they wanted me to leave their company because they have received 3 dmca in 2 years (the last one 8 months ago), although maybe some of which they have not informed me... because they did not directly suspend the server and they told me that it was a technical problem and that they would tell me something as soon as they knew more details? Also offer to me another server today...

3) Finally, if it is a legal requirement to requisition the server, why haven't the rest of the servers been requisitioned with other companies that are in the same country, domains... and why nobody tells me anything? According to my lawyer the does not believe that it is, since I should know something by now and it does not make sense that it was a secret request. Also it doesn't make sense for the nature of the sites I host, I do not have any "illegal site", despite I had some abuse/dmca requests.

In any case, I think they are not trustworthy. Right now I would say that apart from being unprofessional, there has probably been a technical problem that affected other services and to solve it they have not acted well and may have lost data due to bad practices. Since the moment the server stops working coincides 100% with this incident: https://status.scaleway.com/incidents/sxgj2j5dwlgh That was fixed yesterday, when they find out they lost my data.

Honestly, from the sounds of it if you read between the lines, the server has been seized, but they can't tell you otherwise. Either your server, or a combination of servers causing the aforementioned status alert. The fact the are willing to keep you on their platform is puzzling though.

• @entrailz said:

@Guerl said:

"Good day,
    Best regards."

Honestly, from the sounds of it if you read between the lines, the server has been seized, but they can't tell you otherwise. Either your server, or a combination of servers causing the aforementioned status alert. The fact the are willing to keep you on their platform is puzzling though.

Returned to the Manufacturer = Seized by the Authorities? If it was seized by the authorities for some reason they immediately say so and not to mention banning the account from their platform.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@TrK said:

@entrailz said:

@Guerl said:

"Good day,
    Best regards."

Returned to the Manufacturer = Seized by the Authorities? If it was seized by the authorities for some reason they immediately say so and not to mention banning the account from their platform.

It seems like pretty extreme levels of incompetence or it was seized. Parts break, we just dealt with it for a customer last night. Opened emergency maintenance ticket, told them what we thought it was based on alerts and what we were going to do and expected window. Ended up being worse than expected, but still followed up in detail after it was all over. Something like ~1.25hrs all in.

The renting to him again could be some sort of "at all costs do not let them know it was seized" tactic. Maybe take them up on it and see how long it takes to get provisioned or if they keep having 'issues'. Could be because whoever seized it also wants to keep sniffing around/honey-potting the rest of your servers/users at other sites. Occam's razor would say: incompetence. Just surprised Scaleway would hit that level of incompetence.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Unusual. I would not continue using them in that situation.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

"(breakdown of an unknown nature"

Did the roof came down?
    What the actual fuck.

I just hope your have a disaster recovery plan and your drives where encrypted.

• entrailzentrailz Member, Host Rep

@TrK said:

@entrailz said:

@Guerl said:

"Good day,
    Best regards."

In most countries they would be unable to let the end user know at risk of tipping them off.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited February 2023

If there is truth to what they have written and it isn’t just seized, then could be a catastrophic psu failure, localised fire, etc

• Yikes. Scaleway and their bros and sis were high in my shit tier host list but this fubar

@Neoon

breakdown of an unknown nature

act of God clause, still could be authority seizure

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited February 2023

all the french companies are the same...
    i'm not aware of any lawful "gag orders" in french law, so if the server was seized - they just used a white flag and don't want to inform you the server has been seized.